MCR discussion: battery life

Guest RotoTrol_P990

Guest 1nf3rn0
Did you do a full wipe and wiped the battery stats too?

I wiped battery stats and my battery was 100% charged.

didn't a full wipe but if you think it could help, i will.

Guest TheSacredSoul
I wiped battery stats and my battery was 100% charged.

didn't a full wipe but if you think it could help, i will.

Paul is still working on this issue so it's better to wait it out :unsure:

Guest 1nf3rn0

Paul i have deleted the Voice Dialer and the problem seems to be resolved.

Now the phone is charging, let's see how it goes.

Guest Involver

Ok, the rsults so far for FR16, after a full whipe, charged to 100% before installing and 'frozen' dialer app (easy freezy). After approx. 24 hours the battery has run down to 7%. Wifi and BT turned on for only the first two-three hours, afterwards only 3g usage. No push email, only polling every hour. See attached screenshot of battery usage, again the dailer takes responsibility even though it was frozen??

post-606359-1305356396_thumb.png

... any suggestions? What's 'normal' battery life these days anyways for the 2x? I'll do a reboot and full charge again and see what happens...

Oh and juicedefender / greenpower still behave badly when controling WiFi, which doesn't help the battery problem either...

Guest TheSacredSoul
Ok, the rsults so far for FR16, after a full whipe, charged to 100% before installing and 'frozen' dialer app (easy freezy). After approx. 24 hours the battery has run down to 7%. Wifi and BT turned on for only the first two-three hours, afterwards only 3g usage. No push email, only polling every hour. See attached screenshot of battery usage, again the dailer takes responsibility even though it was frozen??

... any suggestions? What's 'normal' battery life these days anyways for the 2x? I'll do a reboot and full charge again and see what happens...

Oh and juicedefender / greenpower still behave badly when controling WiFi, which doesn't help the battery problem either...

If we can fix the dialer issue, I suspect we wont even need juicedefender. The battery of the O2X is pretty good itself.

Guest Stevvie
If we can fix the dialer issue, I suspect we wont even need juicedefender. The battery of the O2X is pretty good itself.

with juice defender installed my battery barely makes it to 20hours, Once juicedefender is uninstalled my battery regularly makes to past the 40 hour mark. So for me it's better to uninstall juice defender as that also caused the only few lockups/reboots I have had.

Guest sendvic

Here's my experience after deleting backup app and clock, calendar, message widgets. I have fr15. Time since boot is about 16 hours, was at sleep between.

post-759276-1305375569_thumb.pngpost-759276-1305375577_thumb.png

Guest gin0v4

could u on me about how to get these awesome icons in the notification bar?

Guest MeX_DK

I am running stock on mine and I seem to at least have found some form of "battery" drain. Trying to reproduce the usage.

But I charged my phone fully, and then restarted it and "at the moment" it is holding its power sorta alright. But when I use it normally it lasts like 7-8 hours before needing a recharge, even if its just laying on my desk and not being touched.

Ok testings done. These figures are after a reboot and where I have more or less left the phone laying on my table only having a short call, and otherwise reading a few emails and responding to a few texts. The entire time autosync was on, as well as 3G Data.

1H30M -08%

5H30M -30%

8H20M -50%

11H00M -68%

12H15M -74%

13H08M -79%

14H15M -85%

15H20M -93%

At which point I stopped the test and then put my phone in the charger. Tomorrow once it is done charging I will start up all the stuff I normally run on it, charge it to full and see how well it does there when I am not using the phone at all. Quite frankly I expect a large difference simply because that is what I have seen, but starting program and then exiting said programs and leaving the phone on standby "should" not impact consumption in my view at least.

Edited by MeX_DK

Guest Squide

One of the root cause of short battery life..

should be the phone itself won't charge the battery to 100%

using the phone for charging.. from 15% to 100%, it usually takes less than 2 hours.

when it show 100%, I pull the battery and put it into a dock charger... it's not full actually.

I just do not believe the battery can be full in 1.5 hours..

Guest 1nf3rn0
I had the dialer problem too.

But after me clean the dialer apps data, it 's fixed.

I deleted the dialer app data but the problem persist...

Guest fredmode01
I had the dialer problem too.

But after me clean the dialer apps data, it 's fixed.

I deleted them too, don't know yet if it's going to fix anything.. but I noticed that all my passwords (browser) were deleted too.. how can this be dialer related ? Is this a possible explanation for that battery drain ? :unsure:

Guest abwyatt

I have a workaround that might interest some. :unsure:

I have also experienced high battery power consumption, both on stock and with FrXX, particularly when the phone is in standby.

I am presently on Fr16 which is definitely the best balanced ROM for speed and stability so far. Have been running Fr16 from the day it was released and so far no reboots or lockups.

BUT, the power consumption is still a problem. I do not believe it is only the Dialer causing the problem, but it certainly does appear on Fr16 as Paul himself has observed. I have only seen it appear once in the 2 days since I have been running it. Have not seen it since.

Using Battery Monitor Widget to record battery use, it appears that the phone never fully goes to sleep. Even when Dialer is not appearing in Partial Wake use, there is something drawing an abnormal amount of power while the phone is supposedly in standby. My hunch is that there is a problem with power management in the ROM in relation to its ability to fully go to sleep, or some errant processes (Dialer being one) that refuse to shut down when they are supposed to.

So while waiting for someone much more intelligent than myself to fix the root cause, I have developed the following workaround to try to control power consumption when the phone should be asleep.

What I use are two apps, Tasker and Fast Reboot, both available from market

Besides it being indispensible for numerous automation tasks that I have setup, I have been using Tasker to try to shut everything down that could consume power while the phone is not being used, such as data connections and so on. But this still did not stop the power drain while the phone was supposedly in standby (see screenshot) - typically there would still be between 20 and 80 mA being consumed while the screen was off. I discovered that by using Fast Reboot, I could get power consumption down to 1 to 2 mA. If I did this just before the display turns off, it would remain in this 'deep sleep' state, consuming just 1 to 2 mA until I turn the display on again (see screenshot). So, my workaround is to automate this process using Tasker. The Tasker screenshot shows you how I have done this. Essentially, it detects 2 simultaneous contexts - battery power and display turned off - before it executes Fast Reboot. I am not too worried if there are power consuming processes going on when the power cable is connected, which is why I use the battery context - I download videocasts during the night when the phone is connected to power, so I don't want Fast Reboot causing problems with the podcaster.

I have been testing this setup rigorously for a day now - turning the display off and on regularly and leaving it to sleep for longer periods to see if any power consuming processes will reawaken - and so far so good. Going by the power consumption graphs, it looks like I can guarantee I will use minimal power when the phone display is off. So far there has been no ill effect on things that run in the background such as messaging, email, missed calls, theft aware, LED notification, etc. Messages still come through, theft aware is still responding, missed calls register, and LED notification still works.

Anyway, hope this is of help while we wait for a permanent solution.

Cheers

Andrew

PS. One circumstantial advantage of using Fast Reboot in this way is that you are always recovering memory whenever the phone goes into standby :)

post-744664-1305468854_thumb.jpg

post-744664-1305468870_thumb.jpg

post-744664-1305468882_thumb.png

Guest gatebil
I deleted them too, don't know yet if it's going to fix anything.. but I noticed that all my passwords (browser) were deleted too.. how can this be dialer related ? Is this a possible explanation for that battery drain ? :unsure:

In german the dailer is translated as "Telefon" (Cellphone). It could be the the system settings.

Guest 1nf3rn0
I have a workaround that might interest some. :unsure:

I have also experienced high battery power consumption, both on stock and with FrXX, particularly when the phone is in standby.

I am presently on Fr16 which is definitely the best balanced ROM for speed and stability so far. Have been running Fr16 from the day it was released and so far no reboots or lockups.

BUT, the power consumption is still a problem. I do not believe it is only the Dialer causing the problem, but it certainly does appear on Fr16 as Paul himself has observed. I have only seen it appear once in the 2 days since I have been running it. Have not seen it since.

Using Battery Monitor Widget to record battery use, it appears that the phone never fully goes to sleep. Even when Dialer is not appearing in Partial Wake use, there is something drawing an abnormal amount of power while the phone is supposedly in standby. My hunch is that there is a problem with power management in the ROM in relation to its ability to fully go to sleep, or some errant processes (Dialer being one) that refuse to shut down when they are supposed to.

So while waiting for someone much more intelligent than myself to fix the root cause, I have developed the following workaround to try to control power consumption when the phone should be asleep.

Besides it being indispensible for numerous automation tasks that I have setup, I have been using Tasker to try to shut everything down that could consume power while the phone is not being used, such as data connections and so on. But this still did not stop the power drain while the phone was supposedly in standby (see screenshot) - typically there would still be between 20 and 80 mA being consumed while the screen was off. I discovered that by using Fast Reboot, I could get power consumption down to 1 to 2 mA. If I did this just before the display turns off, it would remain in this 'deep sleep' state, consuming just 1 to 2 mA until I turn the display on again (see screenshot). So, my workaround is to automate this process using Tasker. The Tasker screenshot shows you how I have done this. Essentially, it detects 2 simultaneous contexts - battery power and display turned off - before it executes Fast Reboot. I am not too worried if there are power consuming processes going on when the power cable is connected, which is why I use the battery context - I download videocasts during the night when the phone is connected to power, so I don't want Fast Reboot causing problems with the podcaster.

I have been testing this setup rigorously for a day now - turning the display off and on regularly and leaving it to sleep for longer periods to see if any power consuming processes will reawaken - and so far so good. Going by the power consumption graphs, it looks like I can guarantee I will use minimal power when the phone display is off. So far there has been no ill effect on things that run in the background such as messaging, email, missed calls, theft aware, LED notification, etc. Messages still come through, theft aware is still responding, missed calls register, and LED notification still works.

Anyway, hope this is of help while we wait for a permanent solution.

Cheers

Andrew

PS. One circumstantial advantage of using Fast Reboot in this way is that you are always recovering memory whenever the phone goes into standby :)

Sure is an intresting solution BUT i hope Paul will find out the real cause for this because is an abnormal behaviour that needs to be fixed.

Guest Boergen

Is there a substitution for Tasker? 4,55 Euro just for trying out a workaround is quite a lot..

Guest davey4444
Is there a substitution for Tasker? 4,55 Euro just for trying out a workaround is quite a lot..

Not sure of a substitute for Tasker but I'd definitely recommend it as I've found it to be one of the most useful Android apps out there. You can get a 7 day trial from their website - http://tasker.dinglisch.net/ - which is where I bought it from too. I'm not linked to them in any way, just love the app despite it's daunting appearance first of all.

Guest Paul

Hey, it's me! Still working away at this battery issue and... I think I *may* have found a 'code tweak' by LG that's causing the 'Dialer drain'! More tomorrow morning... :unsure:

P

PS Tasker rocks!

Guest MeX_DK
Hey, it's me! Still working away at this battery issue and... I think I *may* have found a 'code tweak' by LG that's causing the 'Dialer drain'! More tomorrow morning... :unsure:

P

PS Tasker rocks!

Is that fix just for the MCR and your rom. Or a general fix we can use on stock as well?