MCR discussion: battery life

Guest RotoTrol_P990

Guest MeX_DK

Well I can see it matters greatly what I use my phone for... BUT at least to me it seems that 2 days of worth with the apps I have running tends to mess up my phones standby time as in reducing it to 6-8 hours at best. And storing it in certain "settings" will cause it to drain battery a lot lot faster.

Guest MeX_DK

Starting up the apps i use and then close them again, and just keeping it laying around, apart from a few texts and 1 long phonecall I got the following results today:

0H55M -18% (This is where the long phone call is)

*Rebooted on itself and i didn't see it so I restarted it*

1H55M -36%

3H0M -53%

4H30M -64%

5H0M -68%

5H51M -77%

7H -82%

7H15M -85%

8H05M -93%

At which point i stopped the test. I find it remarkable how starting apps and then exiting them suddenly cuts battery time to half. Its a bit suprising to say the least. I would think the Android OS would kill the apps if they had been laying around too long, but apparently not, and just lets them sit there and suck the life out of the battery :unsure:

Edited by MeX_DK

Guest Paul

Here's something to cheer everyone up on a Monday morning? Still been working away at the Dialer battery drain problem, it's a real nightmare one to diagnose and test but i've been gradually reverse engineering everything that could cause the issue. Anyhow, here's a battery stats screenshot after a 9 hour test... looking promising eh? :unsure:

P

2x9hourtest.png

Guest jambezuk

That's looking much better, I too have the same Dialer problem so am definitely looking forward to a fix!

However, I think worse than the dialer problem is a huge network use by both Android System and 0. I read somewhere facebook sync was causing 0 so I turned that off... but a day or two later and it's back. My phone seems to download significant amounts of data when not in use.

I've turned off all auto updating in market and only gmail syncs (but I don't change calendar/ contacts very much and receive an email or two an hour). I rebooted my phone before going to sleep the other day and unplugged it to see what would happen and over night it had downloaded about 400kb (which is fine). After a bit of use and opening/closing a few apps then screen off, I came back two hours later and my phone had downloaded another 60MB ?!?!

I haven't noticed anyone else with a similar problem so I'm hoping I'm just doing something wrong!

Edit: typos

Edited by jambezuk

Guest 1nf3rn0
Here's something to cheer everyone up on a Monday morning? Still been working away at the Dialer battery drain problem, it's a real nightmare one to diagnose and test but i've been gradually reverse engineering everything that could cause the issue. Anyhow, here's a battery stats screenshot after a 9 hour test... looking promising eh? :unsure:

P

2x9hourtest.png

Very promising, go ahead Paul we assist you :)

Guest mankian

I found the problem is more with the cellular radio.

Phone is 100% @ 7:30 this morning. Been using wifi a bit and then the phone has been left in aeroplane mode sinse.

Battery now (13:00) is 96%

If I had my cellular radio enabled (with data disabled and still not using the phone much) it would be down to 50% by now or less.

Guest abwyatt

P

Wonderful! When can we see it in the ROM? Eager to test it out :)

Guest goatee

Thanks very much for all your work on this, and not jumping straight into SGS2 work (which we know you're champing at the bit for)

There's a couple of issues I need to fix first...

P

Guest Paul

The problem with this issue is it's so inconsistent. Sometimes it takes a while to manifest itself, sometimes it shows up straight away.

AFAICT it happens on every ROM tho, including stock, which doesn't help either! :unsure:

P

Guest dave_a
The problem with this issue is it's so inconsistent. Sometimes it takes a while to manifest itself, sometimes it shows up straight away.

AFAICT it happens on every ROM tho, including stock, which doesn't help either! :unsure:

P

I installed FR16b3 about 3 hours ago. So far battery drain still seems to be there and I am down 22% after not doing much apart from trying a few things to check all is ok and for speed. After about 2 hours battery, I noticed there was no improvement and I checked partial wake usage and dialer wasn't listed. I then opened the dialer and pressed a few numbers before closing and not using again. An hour later, I get the following...

post-142539-1305587082_thumb.png

However battery drain has been about the same as when dialer wasn't listed. Sort of supports what you are saying about it being inconsistent but (at least on my phone) I am not sure this is causing the battery drain problems.

Guest abwyatt
However battery drain has been about the same as when dialer wasn't listed. Sort of supports what you are saying about it being inconsistent but (at least on my phone) I am not sure this is causing the battery drain problems.

Yes, I am also not convinced that the dialer is the problem. Might be a red herring. Just like you, I have also seen the battery draining (battery monitor graphs show this) when the dialer does not appear in Partial Wake. I have also never been able to see it chewing up resources in a process manager app. Just killing this process never affects the power consumption in my experience.

Hence, my present shotgun approach of just shooting down all processes using Fast Reboot before suspending the phone. Not very elegant, but works :unsure:

That said, given that I am not as intelligent as Paul is :) , I really appreciate his efforts to track this 'bug' down. Must be like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack.

Edited by abwyatt

Guest federicoc

More or less same partial wake up graph as dave_a; dialer still there and huge battery drain (Fr16b3).

F.

Edited by federicoc

Guest Paul

Uploading Fr16 Beta 4 now.

This incorporates by battery fix - there is still some Partial Wake usage by Dialler, but my phone lost less than 10% in 9 hours overnight with push Gmail running on mobile data. :unsure:

P

Guest abwyatt
Uploading Fr16 Beta 4 now.

This incorporates by battery fix - there is still some Partial Wake usage by Dialler, but my phone lost less than 10% in 9 hours overnight with push Gmail running on mobile data. :unsure:

P

Impressive!! Thanks so much for the perseverance. Giving it a try now.

Guest Boergen

Hi Paul,

as stated in the FR16 thread:

B4 seems not to have any impact on my battery life. Dialer is still by far the most prominent battery drain here. Wiped both the cache partition and the Dalvic..

Regards

Boergen

Guest 1nf3rn0
Looking forward to hearing whether people have noticed a real world battery life improvement in Fr16b4!

P

What i can say is that without wiping anything the Dialer partial reactivation is decreased.

Should it be zero or kinda?

Guest Boergen
B4 seems not to have any impact on my battery life. Dialer is still by far the most prominent battery drain here. Wiped both the cache partition and the Dalvic..

I think I found my mistake.

Timeline: Powering up (8:30am) -> Using, then charging (till about 11am) -> Using, then flashing the new ROM -> Checking the battery usage 40min later

I chose "since last unplugged" which included 3 to 4 hours of using the phone with B3.

Now, after powering down the phone and up again.. the dialer usage is neary Zero. So something seems to work. :unsure:

I'll charge it up later this evening and will leave it on for the night.

Are there any special settings I should be using so that you could draw conclusions from them, Paul?