Ultimate Guide to the Huawei U8800

Guest That-Guy

so this will work with normal U8800 yes?

Pro, Normal and H all aren't the same. But I have doubts that this version is for Pro. I have Pro, and it's firmware version is B026. And the version string starts with U8800PV... while the one on the site is just U8800V... So it must be for non-pro models

Someone on xda tried it, and it works! Rooting with z4 didnt work however.

I'm the guy that tried it on XDA and I confirm on MoDaCo that B138SP04 General Overseas works perfectly on the good, old U8800! I haven't noticed any major differences since it was night here in Greece, but there have to be some improvements. I'll post if I notice anything worth mentioning!

EDIT 1: Touch responsiveness is greatly improved and it is most welcome.

Edited by haki

I'm the guy that tried it on XDA and I confirm on MoDaCo that B138SP04 General Overseas works perfectly on the good, old U8800! I haven't noticed any major differences since it was night here in Greece, but there have to be some improvements. I'll post if I notice anything worth mentioning!

EDIT 1: Touch responsiveness is greatly improved and it is most welcome.

To be honests with so many custom rooms v2.3.5 out there available for our device what is the point of flashing a rom such as this? Is going backwards...

Guest c0mat0se

To be honests with so many custom rooms v2.3.5 out there available for our device what is the point of flashing a rom such as this? Is going backwards...

Well, when I bought my U8800 it was on 135SP01.

I updated it to 136.

Afterwards I tried all the custom roms, all resulting in spontaneous reboots at random times.

The only stable versions to me are the ones you can download from the huawei website (to be installed by dload folder)

Now I have the overseas version 138SP04 installed since yesterday and to the look and feel nothing has changes but since yesterday evening I did not get any unexpected reboots. Will have to wait for a couple of days to be sure of this.

A colleague of mine has same device. He did not have any problems at all with his device, also not with custom roms...

Well, when I bought my U8800 it was on 135SP01.

I updated it to 136.

Afterwards I tried all the custom roms, all resulting in spontaneous reboots at random times.

The only stable versions to me are the ones you can download from the huawei website (to be installed by dload folder)

Now I have the overseas version 138SP04 installed since yesterday and to the look and feel nothing has changes but since yesterday evening I did not get any unexpected reboots. Will have to wait for a couple of days to be sure of this.

A colleague of mine has same device. He did not have any problems at all with his device, also not with custom roms...

Constante reboots with custom roms?

Perhaps you have a black sheep.

What is the recovery version you have installed and you root your phone using which method??

Guest c0mat0se

Constante reboots with custom roms?

Perhaps you have a black sheep.

What is the recovery version you have installed and you root your phone using which method??

clockworkmod recovery 4 i think.

device is rooted & then apply rom by selecting the .zip file I put on the SD.

Anything wrong with this procedure?

clockworkmod recovery 4 i think.

device is rooted & then apply rom by selecting the .zip file I put on the SD.

Anything wrong with this procedure?

but recovery 4.0.0.5 or 4.1.0.5? This last one came to correct many issues with X5 devices, specially the black sheeps.

Regarding the procedure its correct.

But you only have to root and install recovery once ok dont need to do this everytime you want to install a rom ;)

The description of ALL the customs ROM's starts with the headline "Known Issues"! ALL of them have BUGS! I do appreciate the efforts of the producers but I want all the features on my phone to work the way they are intended to.

The description of ALL the customs ROM's starts with the headline "Known Issues"! ALL of them have BUGS! I do appreciate the efforts of the producers but I want all the features on my phone to work the way they are intended to.

MIUI is very stable and a very good alternative.

Also, the issues you can see on the topic of each rom does not apply to everyone. As you can see the same thing afect each device diferently, and if some have issues others don't have issues at all. Is just a matter of test and try.

MIUI is very stable and a very good alternative.

Also, the issues you can see on the topic of each rom does not apply to everyone. As you can see the same thing afect each device diferently, and if some have issues others don't have issues at all. Is just a matter of test and try.

Then why does the MIUI thread start with the following EVEN AFTER the Sep. 24 revision?

"Known Major Bugs

Camera may not work correctly. It is fine for the vast majority of users though.

No inbuilt tethering. Apps from market such as barnacle for wifi tethering and easytether for usb tethering work fine.

Wifi does not work with networks that use 802.1x EAP with phase 2 authentication.

Wifi may dropout on networks with very long IP address lease times."

Edited by haki

Guest Liquidator

Exactly. Thats also why I decided to stick to Huawei's stock ROMs, I rely on my phone too much and I need it to be absolutely stable. Besides, I think performance is pretty good as it is now, and battery life is simply great, so I see no reason to go to a custom ROM.

However, I do like to root the phone to apply some of the minor tweaks (Battery %, no wake up on volume buttons etc). So I would still like to know if anyone rooted the B138 ROM properly.. :)

Then why does the MIUI thread start with the following EVEN AFTER the Sep. 24 revision?

"Known Major Bugs

Camera may not work correctly. It is fine for the vast majority of users though.

No inbuilt tethering. Apps from market such as barnacle for wifi tethering and easytether for usb tethering work fine.

Wifi does not work with networks that use 802.1x EAP with phase 2 authentication.

Wifi may dropout on networks with very long IP address lease times."

Why you delete?

was a very nice chat between 2 guys from the richest countries of Europe,Portugal and Greece eheheheheheheh

I have tried this new stock rom and if anyone is looking for a bug free and stable rom I advise this one 100%.

It’s working very smooth and snappy. Its very fast and touch sensitive. Good alternative!

I, in the other end, like damaged things so I keep with customs.

Edited by PJ77

Hi folks,

I just got a Huawei U8800 here in Brazil, and it is running ROM U8800 V100R001C00B138SP07 (B138SP07, for short) / Custom Version CUSTC41D001. The OS version is Android 2.2.2. Can I still use Superboot to root the device, or is it only compatible with the B136 ROM?

I searched for information on this ROM but found almost none. The device is a "Special Edition" given to Brazilian journalists to celebrate the start of the local production of devices, but besides a new boot image with the Chinese and Brazilian Flags and the text "Em comemoração ao primeiro celular da Huawei lançado no Brasil" (To celebrate the first Huawei phone released in Brazil) , it seems to be just a standard U8800.

Hi folks,

I just got a Huawei U8800 here in Brazil, and it is running ROM U8800 V100R001C00B138SP07 (B138SP07, for short) / Custom Version CUSTC41D001. The OS version is Android 2.2.2. Can I still use Superboot to root the device, or is it only compatible with the B136 ROM?

I searched for information on this ROM but found almost none. The device is a "Special Edition" given to Brazilian journalists to celebrate the start of the local production of devices, but besides a new boot image with the Chinese and Brazilian Flags and the text "Em comemoração ao primeiro celular da Huawei lançado no Brasil" (To celebrate the first Huawei phone released in Brazil) , it seems to be just a standard U8800.

superboot sometimes makes the cam image upside down and you can only correct by replacing the boot.img for the original one again.

Z4root not working all the time also.

I recommend Super1click (http://www.multiupload.com/KIELHSVIPG) this one will work for sure ;)

superboot sometimes makes the cam image upside down and you can only correct by replacing the boot.img for the original one again.

Z4root not working all the time also.

I recommend Super1click (http://www.multiupload.com/KIELHSVIPG) this one will work for sure ;)

PJ77, Muito obrigado! :)

Can you recommend a way to backup up my ROM after rooting? Just in case someone wants to have a look at it, or I wish to go back to stock after experimenting with alternatives.

Guest c0mat0se

but recovery 4.0.0.5 or 4.1.0.5? This last one came to correct many issues with X5 devices, specially the black sheeps.

Regarding the procedure its correct.

But you only have to root and install recovery once ok dont need to do this everytime you want to install a rom ;)

what do you mean with black sheeps? Reboots?

PJ77, Muito obrigado! :)

Can you recommend a way to backup up my ROM after rooting? Just in case someone wants to have a look at it, or I wish to go back to stock after experimenting with alternatives.

I wouldn't worry about that.

You being Portuguese I assume in case of need you will want the TMN stock rom, yes?

You can download it from here:

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=Mzk1MzM=

But if you need to send your device for assistance or something any stock rom is valid, dont need to be that specific one and there are newer versions of stock rom ;)

This page seems to have good info! But I don't have the basic knowledge to understand it. Maybe you can add an shot explanation to what everything does: Example 'ClockWorkMod' -> is this to install custom-roms? Or does it also allow backups to be taken.

Also the link in the original post to 'ClockWorkMod', leads to a page 'Perfect Recovery 4.0.0.5'. Is this the same application (because the names don't match in any way)?

Do you need to root your phone to install this

If anyone has good link for noobs who just bought this phone as his first smartphone? To give me background to understand this page better :)

Thanks,

Tom

This page seems to have good info! But I don't have the basic knowledge to understand it. Maybe you can add an shot explanation to what everything does: Example 'ClockWorkMod' -> is this to install custom-roms? Or does it also allow backups to be taken.

Also the link in the original post to 'ClockWorkMod', leads to a page 'Perfect Recovery 4.0.0.5'. Is this the same application (because the names don't match in any way)?

Do you need to root your phone to install this

If anyone has good link for noobs who just bought this phone as his first smartphone? To give me background to understand this page better :)

Thanks,

Tom

Yes, Clockworkmod (CWM) is used to install custom roms and also for backups and restores.

If you want to install the CWM I suggest the new versions. Read here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1229326

To install the CWM you need first to root your phone.

I advise Super1click (http://www.multiupload.com/KIELHSVIPG)

NOTE that first thing to do is to root the phone, ok?

You can root and install CWM and keep your stock rom. What this does is leave the door open for future alterations, installing roms, etc.

Read the tutorial that is very well written and explained and if you have any doubts just ask ;)

Guest Pelemane

Yes, Clockworkmod (CWM) is used to install custom roms and also for backups and restores.

If you want to install the CWM I suggest the new versions. Read here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1229326

To install the CWM you need first to root your phone.

I advise Super1click (http://www.multiupload.com/KIELHSVIPG)

NOTE that first thing to do is to root the phone, ok?

You can root and install CWM and keep your stock rom. What this does is leave the door open for future alterations, installing roms, etc.

Read the tutorial that is very well written and explained and if you have any doubts just ask ;)

You don't need to root before installing CWM. Just install CWM and install custom ROM with it and everything is fine.

And this is newest CWM, not the one you linked.

If you at least read that thread you won't come here saying the opposite of me and misleading those who want to learn. That new recovery is still experimental and only works well with MIUI room. Don't even work with ffranco's kernels.

The correct way of doing for beginners was as I said. Don't lead people that have no experience into middle of instable procedures ok? my way is the right way, but each one does the way he chooses.