Advent - exciting news

Guest Blue Gas

Guest Bunjit
I noticed at lunch time that Currys / PC World do not have the Vega for "Home Delivery", Still have "Collect in Store" - plus not many Docking stations around except in a few stores.

Hey all,

After days/weeks researching on cracking forums like this, I finally went out yesterday to buy my Vega - a choice I probably wouldn't have made were it not for this forum and it's hard working developers. I was really looking forward to having a play.

But PC world, sold out, Curry's sold out, nothing locally and all the post code searches I've done on both sites showed out of stock, none offer delivery......Dixons is a straight "Sorry, this product is currently not available"

Maybe something to do with VegaComb, and I'm not sure if it regularly goes out of stock, but now I'm thinking about biding my time rather than chase the last of the stock.

A lot of people interested in a Vega read this forum, so I think Advent should spill the beans if it isn't new hardware or risk hurting sales... :)

Guest Sanddancer75
Maybe something to do with VegaComb, and I'm not sure if it regularly goes out of stock, but now I'm thinking about biding my time rather than chase the last of the stock.

Manufacturers clear the channel of old stock before releasing new hardware. I wouldn't have though that it wouldn't make sense to do this if it was just a firmware update that they were planning on rolling out? Maybe you were right to hold off.

Guest Webworm
Manufacturers clear the channel of old stock before releasing new hardware. I wouldn't have though that it wouldn't make sense to do this if it was just a firmware update that they were planning on rolling out? Maybe you were right to hold off.

It does indeed look like stock levels are low in DSG in the Midlands.

To Buy or Not ?

Guest demonicsilk

It would if they were trying to market a tablet as honeycomb as you may get some bad reviews if people have to flash their new tablet when they buy it

Better to clear the stock and cut down the numbers who have to update the software

Guest phil8715
It would if they were trying to market a tablet as honeycomb as you may get some bad reviews if people have to flash their new tablet when they buy it

Better to clear the stock and cut down the numbers who have to update the software

I wonder if they have actually stopped selling them, in order for Advent paul/Newbe5 to create an official version of Honeycomb which they will put on the next batch of Vega's. As we all know the Vega out of the box isn't a pleasant experience and if they were to officially release Honeycomb with it pre-installed that would shift a few units.

They called also refresh the device by renaming it, if it came pre-installed with Honeycomb.

Guest premieral
I wonder if they have actually stopped selling them, in order for Advent paul/Newbe5 to create an official version of Honeycomb which they will put on the next batch of Vega's. As we all know the Vega out of the box isn't a pleasant experience and if they were to officially release Honeycomb with it pre-installed that would shift a few units.

They called also refresh the device by renaming it, if it came pre-installed with Honeycomb.

i think it would be a tad too risky to put something labelled honeycomb on an officially branded product that wasn`t as such honeycomb. However

i think it is most likely to be on the development and os side that they were talked to, whatever happens i think in my heart of hearts that all companies are out for a profit so the vega that we have is being run out and a newer more improved version is coming. lets hope if that is teh case that any software improvements can be filtered down to us :)

Guest Bunjit

I was told i store new deliveries arrive on Monday by DSG, but I checked today only a couple of obscure stores had any stock - no new deliveries received.

Advent are aware of Newbe5/Paul's influence on the sales of the Vega. So it would make sense for Advent to be more proactive on employing their services either officially or unofficially to do the same for a new device.

So is this a safe summary of the rumours so far?

1. New device with Newbe5/Paul being asked to create an unofficial ROM

2. New device shipping with official HC

2. Same device with offiicial HC (I didn't think Google would allow this to happen?)

Guest tjz1100
I was told i store new deliveries arrive on Monday by DSG, but I checked today only a couple of obscure stores had any stock - no new deliveries received.

Advent are aware of Newbe5/Paul's influence on the sales of the Vega. So it would make sense for Advent to be more proactive on employing their services either officially or unofficially to do the same for a new device.

So is this a safe summary of the rumours so far?

1. New device with Newbe5/Paul being asked to create an unofficial ROM

2. New device shipping with official HC

2. Same device with official HC (I didn't think Google would allow this to happen?)

The last three Curry's/PC Worlds I've been in over the last three weeks have all had stocks of the Vega.

With Android 3/3.1 devices now coming in under 400 there is still a good case for selling a Vega upgrade, as long as it's reasonable and as long as it keeps performence acceptable. I've pretty much started to plan for the next, more permanent, tablet purchase and the Thrive is looking good so far (whenever it gets released in the UK). A 2nd Gen Vega would have to be pretty special to complete, an upgraded Vega MkI simply won't have a chance. A sensibly priced Vega Mk II that has market support, USB/HDMI built in would be a better proposition.

Guest mxbob
The last three Curry's/PC Worlds I've been in over the last three weeks have all had stocks of the Vega.

With Android 3/3.1 devices now coming in under 400 there is still a good case for selling a Vega upgrade, as long as it's reasonable and as long as it keeps performence acceptable. I've pretty much started to plan for the next, more permanent, tablet purchase and the Thrive is looking good so far (whenever it gets released in the UK). A 2nd Gen Vega would have to be pretty special to complete, an upgraded Vega MkI simply won't have a chance. A sensibly priced Vega Mk II that has market support, USB/HDMI built in would be a better proposition.

what does the thrive have that the vega doesnt? 1gb memory, 8gb of storage and a better screen? unless there is something im missing a vega mk II wouldnt have to be much of an upgrade from the MK I to compete with it

Guest Drat2
what does the thrive have that the vega doesnt? 1gb memory, 8gb of storage and a better screen? unless there is something im missing a vega mk II wouldnt have to be much of an upgrade from the MK I to compete with it

A VEGA I with HC at £200 would be a seller for those that want to email/surf from the comfort of the couch, or watch movies when travelling.

Guest derffie

You know what? S*D IT!

I've not long had a vega, and I love it, but being a bonafide noob its nice to not be able to brick it! So if its life span is going to be that short, anyone know where to start on learning to develop Roms for it? good sites to read, how to's etc, I'm a fast learner with most tech so I'm up for a Android education, no offence to anyone who does develop, Newbe5 corvus, paul, beegee etc etc, but I'd like to learn, as then I'm going to some way near able to port ICS myself.

*potential protest grump over * save our vega campaign!

I'd rather not see it go down in history as having a shorter life than a CRapple product.....

Guest le_lutin

God, I just wish that either Newbe or Paul would tell us whether the "Exciting News" referred to the current Vega or not.

JUST TELL US ALREADY!

Guest Remington Steale
God, I just wish that either Newbe or Paul would tell us whether the "Exciting News" referred to the current Vega or not.

JUST TELL US ALREADY!

If they are legally bound not to it could be very expensive both financially and with regard to the working relationship set up with Advent/DSG if they blabbed.

Have patience, go outside, smell some flowers, drink beer, maybe talk to a woman (or a man, I'm not judgemental)......

Guest wasps

My guess is either a Vega2, or maybe an official Advent branded ROM for the Vega1.

Pool the resources of the Modaco devs plus their own dev team, create an official Advent ROM using base builds that the Modaco team may not be able to lay their hands on without the corporate help.

Either way, it's no problem to us Vega1 owners.

Even if we do get passed over with HC, and even if there is a Vega2 on the horizon, we're still likely to get ICS and it's likely to be more stable / official given that the ICS source code will be freely available.

Guest le_lutin
If they are legally bound not to it could be very expensive both financially and with regard to the working relationship set up with Advent/DSG if they blabbed.

Have patience, go outside, smell some flowers, drink beer, maybe talk to a woman (or a man, I'm not judgemental)......

I'm agoraphobic, I have hay-fever, I'm a tee-totaler and worst of all, I'm married!

I'm not even looking for details of what the exciting news is, just whether it applies to the current vega. Surely Advent could tell us that.

Guest Remington Steale
I'm agoraphobic, I have hay-fever, I'm a tee-totaler and worst of all, I'm married!

I'm not even looking for details of what the exciting news is, just whether it applies to the current vega. Surely Advent could tell us that.

Ow, sounds fun.

Advent will most likely stick to the usual line of not saying or doing anything that could harm future sales, look at the issues with HTC providing system updates when new ones are due out

Edited by Remington Steale

Guest winnipeg

Customer relationship management, customer expectations, customer satisfaction are interesting terms.

Around Christmas DSG / Advent were probably committed to a fair number of Vega’s which seemed to be late and when they did arrive had issues. There were Tweets and even direct intervention by Brand managers to keep everyone informed. It seemed very good.

Quote from:

http://www.myadventvega.co.uk/

"Software Versions We will be providing software updates throughout the product life"

The last I heard, unless I missed something was “For those asking we are looking into the possibility of Honeycomb on the Vega with our partner” or similar.

I see the stores now have lots of tabs with Honeycomb, ios, Windows 7 Tablet edition and Playbook with more on the way.

I wonder if Honeycomb on the Vega would be good for DSG or not, which I think depends on the relative margin they can make and what price band customers are buying in - where the volume is.

Now they seem to have cleared the stock they also seem to have gone very quiet, only prepared to talk to selected people who they have asked not tell anyone else.

I know a lot of people bought the Vega as a stop gap until the market settles down a bit, and some because they are enthusiasts. I hope it wasn’t entirely just a stop gap for DSG.

I don’t feel completely happy with the DSG experience just now.

Edited by winnipeg

Guest le_lutin

Hmmm.... I wonder if the "exciting news" bubble has burst. Newbie just tweeted this :

Zebwen Richard Horsley @

@Perrin21 Still working on it [next version of vegacomb]! We were secretly hoping that

NotionInk would release a full version of HC, but they cheated!

Zebwen Richard Horsley @

@Perrin21 They re-branded Adam HC16 from TabletRoms (which

is VegaComb's twin) and released it as their "Official" HC ROM.

3 hours ago

Edited by le_lutin

Guest owenoliver1
Hmmm.... I wonder if the "exciting news" bubble has burst. Newbie just tweeted this :

Zebwen Richard Horsley @

@Perrin21 Still working on it [next version of vegacomb]! We were secretly hoping that

Zebwen Richard Horsley @

3 hours ago

so it they update it to 17 then modders have a better version WTF

Guest Remington Steale

Zebwen Richard Horsley @

Zebwen Richard Horsley @

3 hours ago

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

So people expected Notion Ink to behave differently to the smaller chinese operations that have been churning out vega copies with vegacomb on??

Guest WWEpsp

Zebwen Richard Horsley @

Zebwen Richard Horsley @

3 hours ago

If tis is real :)