Unlocking The Orange Monte Carlo

Guest lordjubblydave

Guest Frankish

I'm getting an error trying to push the Phone.apk back on, "Read-only file system'

Guessing I don't have root permissions?

Are you doing this in recovery via adb? Or some other way?

I tested this with Blade's Telenor Hungary network locked 2.2.2 update. It didn't work with that one. It seemed like the obvious option but no luck. I got that ROM unlocked by replacing the Phone.apk from another 2.2.2 ROM. So the network lock should be somewhere in the Phone.apk even though I couldn't never find it.

Would it be too hacky solution to try Phone.apk from Blade's leaked gingerbread with Skate's ROM? I don't have a Skate to play with either...

The Phone.apk from the Blade's leaked Gingerbread rom could work. The Monte Carlo Phone.apk works on the Blade, but it doesn't network lock it, so maybe they did the network lock properly this time. Another sales killer if they did.

Guest sej7278

The Phone.apk from the Blade's leaked Gingerbread rom could work. The Monte Carlo Phone.apk works on the Blade, but it doesn't network lock it, so maybe they did the network lock properly this time. Another sales killer if they did.

i guess orange think they lost sim credit sales due to the sanfran being unlockable, what they don't seem to realise is that they gained phone sales for that reason, and will lose phone sales (and therefore sim sales) for the skate.

i for one won't, and more to the point can't use a simlocked phone, as i use 2 different providers in 2 different countries - orange uk just happens to be one of them, pretty much everyone i know uses 2 sims, hell its cheaper than roaming charges!

Guest sej7278

A lame question but.... what about using dual sim adapter? :unsure:

that won't help if the phone is locked to orange and one of the sims is not orange.....

do dual sim adaptors even work with the blade/skate?

Guest everett_psycho

Would they not let you have an unlock code from them seeing as you actually do use orange most of the time. A very long shot but might be worth a shot, you never know you might get a new member if staff that gives you one

Guest shadons

Hello. I'm from Ukraine. Sorry for bad English ... but ...

if in the near future will not work uloocking OMC...

but it you set Custom ROM zte skate your OMC then will it uloocking?

in September will begin selling zte skate and I think someone

(For example, Paul) would get Custom ROM of zte skate.

Would they not let you have an unlock code from them seeing as you actually do use orange most of the time. A very long shot but might be worth a shot, you never know you might get a new member if staff that gives you one

I think you can get an unlock code from orange after 3 months, for £20.

i guess orange think they lost sim credit sales due to the sanfran being unlockable, what they don't seem to realise is that they gained phone sales for that reason, and will lose phone sales (and therefore sim sales) for the skate.

I doubt they care - selling cheap PAYG phones is a way to get people on their network, if people are taking their subbed phone straight onto another network, they don't make any money (as the cost of subbing the phone is paid back over time by the user being on the network). If they are working hard to stop people doing that with the OMC, then it's pretty clear that they were unhappy with subbing other people's networks.

Guest whatcolour

You will need a custom rom which has been resigned, but after that it might be easy, if it's like a Blade.

Decompile Phone.apk with apktool, then edit /res/values/bools.xml make sure the top line is set to 'true' so that it looks like this...

<bool name="ignore_sim_network_locked_events">true</bool>

Recompile, resign, adb push, reboot.

Untested, btw, I don't have a Skate, I'm just messing with the rom & that looked like a likely option. I have the Skate rom running on my Blade, but it seems to ignore the blade's network lock anyway.

deodexed, resigned everything, did the above, but phone is still network locked.... something else must be in play here...

Guest whatcolour

deodexed, resigned everything, did the above, but phone is still network locked.... something else must be in play here...

Follow up, libSimCardAuth.so looks interesting. Can't find any info on it though? anyone?

Guest t0mm13b

There is a qcnvitems.odex file found within the original rom dump, /system/framework, that contains interesting information relating to sim/network lock - there's the baksmali'd version of the code found here.

There was one place within the file - cannot remember which, and there was a byte array that was being shuffled around... its in there anyway...

QcNvItemTypes$NvLockCodeType looks interesting :-)

Can these converted into more readable versions :) This smali output is not easy to get the hang of. Still with my limited understanding, in QcNvItemTypes$NvLockCodeType in method public getLockCode() it appears that some sort of indirect references are being used to fetch some values from memory to put together a code...

Guest t0mm13b

Can these converted into more readable versions :) This smali output is not easy to get the hang of. Still with my limited understanding, in QcNvItemTypes$NvLockCodeType in method public getLockCode() it appears that some sort of indirect references are being used to fetch some values from memory to put together a code...

Bingo!!!

QcNvItemTypes$NvLockCodeType looks interesting :-)

Yes.... unfortunately smali output is not easy to get the hang off... so yes... there's something going on in there alright, either a jni call to the qcnvitems.so or similar...? Anyone got a *cough*disassembler*cough*.....

It could be locked in amss.mbn & have nothing much to do with anything you can do in Android. They messed up with the Blade's network lock, maybe they've done it 'properly' this time. Still, there has to be a way to unlock it, even if you have to edit nvitems.

Guest Frankish
Tried a smartsim i got from deal extreme last year that doesn't work,Came up with t-mobile but no signal or internet.

That's a shame. Strange that it actually showed t mobile though. If it was only Internet not working is say it's just apn settings but not sure that would be the case if there's no signal.