09 Aug: Superboot - root access for the ZTE Skate

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest tillaz

That is what I've done, and the google drivers are now installed but it still isn't working. All I get is the < waiting for device > message, nothing else happens.

check your phone is not mounted as the drivers disk if so eject, & it should continue from waiting for device

Will this rooting procedure work on OSK_P743TV1.0.0B04 ?

Is it safe to try? I have stock rom.

Thank you for reply in advance.

So I gave it a try after successfully making the backup of my stock ROM using ClockworkMod GUI (boot method).

Superboot flashed OK, phone has rebooted OK, but the Wifi stopped working :( So I reverted back to stock boot.

Anything else I can try?

Guest tillaz

So I gave it a try after successfully making the backup of my stock ROM using ClockworkMod GUI (boot method).

Superboot flashed OK, phone has rebooted OK, but the Wifi stopped working :( So I reverted back to stock boot.

Anything else I can try?

all the custom roms are rooted smile.gif

Im thinking of trying one out (e.g. bluemonte). I suppose it'll be no problem to revert back to stock rom in case of any problems... Am I right?

Thanks.

Guest thfc5975

Do you think that there is any chance that someone can do a total noobs guide to doing this root. (its a damn site easier on my Incredible S lol)

Have tried pretty much every permitation that I feel confident in trying but cannot get past the waiting for device message.

Thanks.

LOL I've just found out that my device is rooted. Probably, this happened when I tried to flash superboot. Since WiFi stopped working with new flashed boot I reverted back to stock boot.

But seems like superuser remained installed. I have discovered Superuser process running. So I downloaded terminal to try su and I got root shell (#). I am surprised... :-)

Root checker output

Congratulations! You have root access!

Superuser.apk - com.noshufou.android.su - version 2.3.6.3 is installed!

System Environment PATH: /sbin /vendor/bin /system/sbin /system/bin /system/xbin

The adb binary is set to default shell user access as a standard non-root user

Standard su binary location: ls -l /system/bin/su: 

/system/bin/su: No such file or directory

Standard su binary location: ls -l /system/xbin/su: 

-rwsr-xr-x root     root        26324 2011-10-04 18:00 su

Alternate su binary location: 

/sbin/su: Permission denied

Alternate su type binary location: 

/system/xbin/sudo: No such file or directory

Root user id: 

uid=0(root)

Root group id:

gid=0(root)

Edited by C3C0

Guest wrtease

please read ther post no root is available for this rom yet ,dont use the superboot as you will end up with it just looping at start.you have been warned.

Guest Johnny Hung

please read ther post no root is available for this rom yet ,dont use the superboot as you will end up with it just looping at start.you have been warned.

Yes, understand ! I had to install the clockwork mod recovery image, after flash the GB Android 2.3.5 !

so, I could return the Android 2.3.4 official ROM ! I have to tried flash the overclock kernel on this ROM, no problem ! but can't adjust the freq. because no root permissions!

if somebody want to try, I have backup with clockwork mod : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F6QTDTEO , it already include the clockwork mod recovery image .

Guest philmein

Please help to root the GB Android 2.3.5 !! Thank you so much~

would it not be easier to downgrade to 2.3.4 with the tpt image and the root with this

maybe the phone needs to be a omc to use tpt tho ?

Edited by philmein

Guest tillaz

Im thinking of trying one out (e.g. bluemonte). I suppose it'll be no problem to revert back to stock rom in case of any problems... Am I right?

Thanks.

yes smile.gif

Guest iam_smithers

Do you think that there is any chance that someone can do a total noobs guide to doing this root. (its a damn site easier on my Incredible S lol)

Have tried pretty much every permitation that I feel confident in trying but cannot get past the waiting for device message.

Thanks.

Same here, tried everything I can think of but I just cannot get it to work. Are you using Windows Vista by any chance?

Guest CyberSurfer

Many thanks to OP for the info - finally managed to get it rooted.

I now have the choice of either (1) Just removing the Orange crapps with Antek or (2) Installing a custom ROM

What is the considered opinion on the pros/cons of keeping to the stock / flashing something different ?

Anyone got a list of all the crapps that can be removed without affecting functionality ?

Also - is the overclocking kernel a ggod idea - what sort of increase can you get ?

LOL I've just found out that my device is rooted. Probably, this happened when I tried to flash superboot. Since WiFi stopped working with new flashed boot I reverted back to stock boot.

But seems like superuser remained installed. I have discovered Superuser process running.

(...)

(from: http://android.modac...ost__p__1823458)

My understaning is:

1) By flashing the superboot, the Superuser will be installed/activated in the system partition during reboot

2) By refleshing the stock boot, system partition remains untouched so root installed by superboot image will remain as is

...then, is there a way of completely "unrooting" a device (using stock backups)? :)

Guest dadashi

Please put it in big red letters on the first page...

this root flash doesn't work with 2.3.5 skate

....a few people have tried to root on their 2.3.5 skates and after they cannot use their phones!!...stuck on little green man....

Edited by dadashi

Guest cryoglobe

Please put it in big red letters on the first page...

this root flash doesn't work with 2.3.5 skate

....a few people have tried to root on their 2.3.5 skates and after they cannot use their phones!!...stuck on little green man....

Hello .....

I think I'm in that situation ...

What solution to be able to boot my skate ?

Guest Androidlover287

My friend may be getting the Monte Carlo / ZTE skate, next weekend

I will root his phone using this meathord, hopefully there is a MCR for this phone as i am loving the MCR for my Samsung galaxy s2!

Guest yyxt11a

I am using Ubuntu 11.04. Not successful! I have used sudo -s to login as root, as shown below. My OMC is 2.3.4, Build number: OUK_P743TV1.0.0B05.

Anyone help, please.

root@twix:~/Downloads/r2-OUK_P743TV1.0.0B05-skate-superboot# ./install-superboot-linux.sh

error: device not found

< waiting for device >

i got that (on the blade) when i did it a couple of times although i'm not sure why.

did you try running it as root, using either "su -" or "sudo -s", then running the adb and fastboot commands.

does adb devices list anything like this (obviously for skate not blade):

./adb-linux devices

List of devices attached 

Blade-CM7	device

Guest Chris_67

Please make sure to get the Superboot that's going with your Android version!

Don't waste your time messing around with drivers for Windows xxx. If it doesn't work for you under Windows, just do as described here.

None of the previously posted procedures worked for me but this way it worked flawlessly (Stock Staraddict)

Step-by-step HowTo install Superboot for everyone (with LINUX)

No need to install any driver for whatever. No need to install LINUX.

This should work with any LINUX (preinstall or boot from CD or USB pen-drive).

- Activate USB-Debugging on your phone (as described in a previous post)

- Turn off (remove the battery once turned off) and unplug your phone

- Start the LINUX distribution of your choice

- Download Superboot from post #1

- Unpack the downloaded file (right-click and select unpack here) and remember the path where you did unpack it to

- Open a terminal (command box)

- Enter sudo su to become root (1)

- Enter your password (2)

- Change to the directory where you unpacked Superboot to ( cd ~/Downloads/r2-OUK_P743TV1.0.0B05-skate-superboot/ in my case)

- Enter the following command to start the Superboot-script: ./install-superboot-linux.sh (3)

- Wait until the daemon has started. You should see the message: < waiting for device >

- Plug your phone onto an USB-port of your computer whilst simultaneously pressing [Vol-] + [Home] (4)

- If your phone does not power on by itself, insert the battery and switch your phone on by pressing simultaneously [Vol-] + [Home] + [Power] (4)

- As soon as you feel your phone vibrating, release the Power-button if you pressed it

- Keep [Vol-] and [Home] pressed until you see the green Android

- As soon as you release the two buttons, you should see the following message on the screen: sending 'boot'

- A few seconds later, the following message should appear on your screen: rebooting...

- Your phone should restart

- After your phone has restarted, you should find the App Superuser on your phone

You're done!

1Some distributions don't like the sudo command. If sudo su doesn't work for you, just enter su (without sudo )

2If you had to enter su (without sudo), you will need to enter the root password here

3This command will not work without the dot ( . ) preceding the slash

4 For Staraddict only: Since the buttons Home and Menu are inverted on the Staraddict, you must press the Menu-button instead of the Home-button

(Did i ever mention that I love LINUX?)

Any comments and/or suggestions are welcome.

Edited by Chris_67

Guest yyxt11a

I see the green android as soon as I plug the USB. Followed your instruction, the phone went into "Safe mode". Nothing was shown on the PC screen, it still says < waiting for device >.

Don't waste your time messing around with drivers for Windows xxx. If it doesn't work for you under Windows, just do as described here.

None of the previously posted procedures worked for me but this way it worked flawlessly (Stock Staraddict)

Step-by-step HowTo install Superboot for everyone (with LINUX)

No need to install any driver for whatever. This should work with any pre-installed or live LINUX.

- Activate USB-Debugging on your phone (as described in a previous post)

- Turn off (remove the battery once turned off) and unplug your phone

- Start the LINUX distribution of your choice

- Download Superboot from post #1

- Unpack the downloaded file (right-click and select unpack here) and remember the path where you did unpack it to

- Open a terminal (command box)

- Enter sudo su to become root (1)

- Enter your password (2)

- Change to the directory where you unpacked Superboot to ( cd ~/Downloads/r2-OUK_P743TV1.0.0B05-skate-superboot/ in my case)

- Enter the following command to start the Superboot-script: ./install-superboot-linux.sh (3)

- Wait until the daemon has started. You should see the message: < waiting for device >

- Plug your phone onto an USB-port of your computer

- Place the battery into your phone

- Switch your phone on by pressing simultaneously [Vol-] + [Home] + [Power] (4)

- As soon as you feel your phone vibrating, release (only) the Power-button

- Keep [Vol-] and [Home] pressed until you see the green Android

- As soon as you release the two buttons, you should see the following message on the screen: sending 'boot'

- Wait for approx. half a minute, the following message should appear on your screen: rebooting...

- Your phone should restart

- After your phone has restarted, you should find the App Superuser on your phone

1 Some distributions don't like the sudo command. If sudo su doesn't work for you, just enter su (without sudo)

2 If you had to enter su (without sudo), you will need to enter the root password here

3 This command will not work without the dot ( . ) preceding the slash

4For Staraddict only: Since the buttons Home and Menu are inverted on the Staraddict, you must press the Menu-button instead of the Home-button

(Did i ever mention that I love LINUX?)

Any comments and/or suggestions are welcome.

Guest Chris_67

You should follow the instructions in the described order. If you see the green Android as soon as you plug the USB, you did not. Because at that moment, the phone should be switched off.

Please retry and really follow it step by step.

Guest yyxt11a

Hi Chris,

I really followed step by step. As soon as the phone is connected to USB from a PC, the phone shows the green Android. The Android man flashes, between on and off.