[ROM] StreakDroid GingerStreak 2.4 Beta

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest Azurren

### ROM FEEDBACK - GingerStreak 2.4 ###

Hi,

My streak was bought new Dell unlocked and operator free. Running this for 16 hrs, no probs, no FC, no wifi issues. Followed Azurrens post #97, tremSr post #145 and Virtu300 post #147 (without the sighs ;)).

Battery seems better (did not calibrate it) and its smoother and faster then stock 2.2.2/354 or 191. Root is fine with SU 2.3.6.1 binary 2.2.2-efgh and so far no flashing button lights. Haven't tried flight mode yet - some issues were mentioned on some posts.

I haven't pushed it much so far: only a couple calls with BT, some GPS navigation with Ndrive, and market updates. I too have the issue with the Dolphin browser not going into mobile mode: the pages load like on a PC now - slower and more resource hungry. I don't use tethering, so I can't say, but the menu options for wifi and usb are there and I did turn them on without crashing.

I have two questions, more akin to my bad memory rather than bugs or flaws:

1) on my lockscreen in 191 the batery percentage showed up; it doesn't now. Was that a SD191 feature or something I installed and can't recall?

2) The icons on the top notification bar were different, in color. I thought it was a Go Launcher pro feature, but not. again, was that a SD191 feature or something I installed and can't recall?

The following week I'll keep this on and test daily usage, but first impressions are very good.

Thanks Devs.

Yeah 191 had some custom framework / apps installed.

Gingerbread data notifications are nice to have, something that many custom framework devs forget is the fact that they change from White to green if they are connected to googles services.

Ok, I solved my issue of the browser not going into mobile mode, which caused not being able to download apps from getjar, and downloading latest swype update (was getting 'There was a data error, likely due to a bad network connection. Please try again.')

I simply edited the web_user_agent string in the /res/values/strings.xml within framework-res.apk to "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Dell Streak Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1"

Here is how to apply this fix:

1. Download this framework-res.apk to your device

2. Using root explorer copy the downloaded file and navigate to /system/framework

3. Rename the original (one already there) framework-res.apk to framework-res.apk.bak [basically we're just adding .bak extension so you have a backup of the original incase you want to revert or something goes wrong] (its normal for some apps to FC at this point)

4. Paste the framework-res.apk file you downloaded, tap and hold it and select permissions. You want to set the permissions to 'rw-r--r--' that means have Read & Write boxes checked for owner, and only the Read box checked for Group and Others, it should look like this (but say framework-res.apk; image was pulled from a google search): SC20111013-105839.png

5. Reboot :D

Keep in mind, getting some FCs when you rename the original framework-res.apk is normal. Also you could do this with adb push/pull if you don't have root explorer.

Now your browser will be in 'mobile' mode by default. To switch to desktop mode do the following:

1. Enter "about:debug" in the adress bar

2. Menu->More->Settings->UAString (all the way at the bottom)

3. select which mode you'd like to browse in :D

To revert to original. Simply use root explorer to navigate to /services/framework delete framework-res.apk and rename framework-res.apk.bak to framework-res.apk (remove the .bak extension we added earlier). Confirm permissions are 'rw-r--r--' and reboot.

Hi,

I tried this, using file expert in root mode and as soon as I added .bak to the original file the FCs started. That was expected, but the FC got to a point neither file expert nor root explorer could open (had FCs) and I actually had to reflash the rom. not a biggie, but unfortunatly it didnt work.

Guest Stephen Hyde

the 4.05 kernel sources are gb and ive had those for over a week (some dumbass at dell decided to drop them on a dell ftp early) so ill probly have a decent kernel soon :)

as for reboots on gps my streak does that also sometimes

Guest mrmrmrmr

Steve,

When you release the kernel , shall we be able to compile modules with that source ?

Also, shall we have all 2.3.5 features when you have that kernel ready ? (like native 3g video calls)

Edited by mrmrmrmr

Guest Azurren

the streak doesn support 3g vid calls (and alot of phones dont except samsung junk it would seem) android does not natively support it.

Cell-Video calling was always rather gimmicky and has already been replaced by more universal video calling software ;)

I don't suppose this release has either solved or made our driver situation any better :(

Still holding out hope :)

Guest mrmrmrmr

nope it aint and 3g video calling is NOT supported in android at all by default, only samsung support it as a addition it would seem.

I thought new HTC models and Sony Ericsson Experia models have 3G video calling.

Anyway,if you say this release also doesn't have it , then it doesn't.

Bad news :(

Btw, someone here on Modaco told that Android 2.3.4 has native 3g video calling by default.

what about the sources ? if you compile the kernel with 4.05 then we'll be able to compile modules with the same sources, right?

I'm interested in cifs, tun and ntfs usb disk support.

Hi,

I tried this, using file expert in root mode and as soon as I added .bak to the original file the FCs started. That was expected, but the FC got to a point neither file expert nor root explorer could open (had FCs) and I actually had to reflash the rom. not a biggie, but unfortunatly it didnt work.

Same thing happened to me. But since I really wanted to make this work, I reflashed the ROM and only added the minimum aps I needed. Then I made sure only the minimum number of apps were running and I did it again. Still had some FC notifications, but not as bad and I was able to make it work. Rebooted the phone and all is well. Now I can easily switch between mobile (phone) versions and desktop instead of being stuck on the tablet version of web pages (which for most sites is the same as desktop).

Lesson learned is if you are going to mess with a system file while the phone is running, make sure you kill as many running tasks as you can first. Less chance of problems.

Also, since reflashing the ROM I think I found out that my random reboots may have been caused by Juice Defender. They started as soon as I installed it and went away when I removed it. Wifi is more reliable (though still not 100%) since I removed it too.

Looking forward for the next update from Steve and Fards.

Guest Spencershaun

I have juice defender installed and not had a problem ??

huh.gif

Same thing happened to me. But since I really wanted to make this work, I reflashed the ROM and only added the minimum aps I needed. Then I made sure only the minimum number of apps were running and I did it again. Still had some FC notifications, but not as bad and I was able to make it work. Rebooted the phone and all is well. Now I can easily switch between mobile (phone) versions and desktop instead of being stuck on the tablet version of web pages (which for most sites is the same as desktop).

Lesson learned is if you are going to mess with a system file while the phone is running, make sure you kill as many running tasks as you can first. Less chance of problems.

Also, since reflashing the ROM I think I found out that my random reboots may have been caused by Juice Defender. They started as soon as I installed it and went away when I removed it. Wifi is more reliable (though still not 100%) since I removed it too.

Looking forward for the next update from Steve and Fards.

Guest wavecxs

I've been using the rom for almost a week now and it has been fantastic save for the wifi issue. in a week I've encounter about 3 random reboot. for a beta rom this is very good.

however, I found out just yesterday that gps doesn't work on my streak. checking the "use gps satellite..." doesn't seem to have any effect (no icon, navdroid and goggle map don't see the gps). I flashed the amss and dsp1 fyi.

I quickly went back to simplestreak (flashed 354 amss and dsp) and now gps is working.

I really like this rom but gps is important to me. is there an extra step I miss in installing streaksroid 2.4 to make gps work? I did a factory reset too.

thanks! sorry if this has been asked before..I did searched before posting and found nothing. I am located in Asia.

Guest Mohawk55a

I've been using the rom for almost a week now and it has been fantastic save for the wifi issue. in a week I've encounter about 3 random reboot. for a beta rom this is very good.

however, I found out just yesterday that gps doesn't work on my streak. checking the "use gps satellite..." doesn't seem to have any effect (no icon, navdroid and goggle map don't see the gps). I flashed the amss and dsp1 fyi.

I quickly went back to simplestreak (flashed 354 amss and dsp) and now gps is working.

I really like this rom but gps is important to me. is there an extra step I miss in installing streaksroid 2.4 to make gps work? I did a factory reset too.

thanks! sorry if this has been asked before..I did searched before posting and found nothing. I am located in Asia.

I've had GPS problems like this with these 2.3 & 2.4 ROMs as well. I read somewhere that resetting the AGPS using a tool like GPS Status & Toolbox from Android Market can help. I have been using that and my GPS works much more reliably. Every now and then I might have to do another AGPS reset, but it has been useable for me.

Guest coronet

Very well said coronet, fully agree this makes the Dell Streak perform as it should - where is Michael Dell? He should be chasing Stephen down the street with a job invite!

Cheers

Brian

Unfortunately Dell is still entrenched with the Windows love relationship that made the company who they were. Windows Phones from here on out for them. Curiously, they may just become a very large role in the WP7 world... maybe with enough success of one platform they may give Android another shot? I wouldn't buy another Dell though.

Guest Azurren

Unfortunately Dell is still entrenched with the Windows love relationship that made the company who they were. Windows Phones from here on out for them. Curiously, they may just become a very large role in the WP7 world... maybe with enough success of one platform they may give Android another shot? I wouldn't buy another Dell though.

Windows phone 8

*Drools*

Guest rockymtnbri

After reviewing the initial steps (which have changed for the better since I did this a year ago!) to flash the two files then apply the update, I have 2.4 running on my Streak! Much more stable than my old 1.9.0 build (probably didn't flash a baseband at some point) so I'm happy. GPS is working fine, but Netflix 1.5.1 isn't working - hangs on the red Netflix screen. I have uninstalled it, cleared the data, and tried everything I could to no avail. Anyone else run into this with the new beta?

BTW, thanks again to DJ Steve and Fards for their dedication and hard work!

Edited by rockymtnbri

Guest rsfinsrq

After reviewing the initial steps (which have changed for the better since I did this a year ago!) to flash the two files then apply the update, I have 2.4 running on my Streak! Much more stable than my old 1.9.0 build (probably didn't flash a baseband at some point) so I'm happy. GPS is working fine, but Netflix 1.5.1 isn't working - hangs on the red Netflix screen. I have uninstalled it, cleared the data, and tried everything I could to no avail. Anyone else run into this with the new beta?

Same here. I rolled back to Netflix V 1.4.1 (R262) and it's working. You just need to press cancel when it asks you to update and it works fine.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17300857/com.netflix.mediaclient.apk

Guest rsfinsrq

Thanks - I did that as well. Just glad it's not me! The new Netflix IS working on my 10-inch Streak!!

Works on my Streak 7 running HD7 R7 as well. ;)

Guest Papi-jj

BTW, thanks again to DJ Steve and Fards for their dedication and hard work!

I am using 1.5.1 with this rom no issues at all. Everything works fine.

Guest aLpHa K7

Azurren and DJ_Steve

Parhaps I spoke a bit too soon in regards to my streak issue. I will admit though, that after returning all the way back to AT&T's 354 then making the jump to 2.4 seemed to help greatly, I have still had the reboot issue creep up. When it seems to reboot multiple times in a row, I noticed that if I can turn airplane mode on, it won't reboot. Afterwards, she runs as expected as opposed to rebooting 30 seconds after you see the unlock screen. Has anyone experienced this?

Guest Azurren

Has anyone been able to solve the issues with superuser? Mine says I don't have root access. Is there a different app I can use to root my phone?

Sounds like you've updated it..

Go to market and uninstall your updates, reboot and it should start working again.

Otherwise you've probably missed out a step or two while flashing the rom

Guest WakeRider89

I'm sure this has already been covered but I can't seem to locate a fix for the portrait lock screen, home screen lock works fine on go launcher but the lock screen is just retarded and stuck in landscape.

this rom is running pretty well, some qwerky little issues but overall very nice! same issues as most everyone with the wifi and gps connections as well as the market needing a dalvik cleaning every now and then.

mad props to the dev masters!