1 Nov V20l: Stock Gingerbread for ClockworkMod (rooted / rooted+deodex)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Tsaglis

This is what i did and worked as a charm (copied from a few posts b4)

I flashed one fls after the other, in size order (r375, aeneas, slb,psi). Upon flashing each one, i disconnect the phone when i see the (2nd) LG logo (when at 100% and green 'completed' appears at smartflash u momentarilly see the LG logo, then the software update screen again, then black screen and then the LG logo again - right after that), close Smartflash, open it again, connect phone and repeat the flashing with the next fls. Hope im making myself clear

EDIT: btw does anybody notice a rather high battery drain? Im on 50% after about 7-8 h on battery with very light use

I followed exactly what you described. At one point I manage to flash all four in a row, but the phone did not want to start (boot loop).

I will try later again.

Guest Ximo F. Verde

I followed exactly what you described. At one point I manage to flash all four in a row, but the phone did not want to start (boot loop).

I will try later again.

To be honest, the only bullet-proof version is the kdz file/nvflash one, which, as Paul mentioned, isnt for the faint-hearted. After a not-so-careful read of the nvflash method, i just thought that it would be easier to try the CWM/Smartflash way, in order to check at least wether my data/cell issues were gone. Thankfully they have, but battery life sucks

....fuc.. i flashed the new BB (all 4 files from biggest to smallest, 2times fail the last 2 small, so do again without restarting smartflash...) after all 4 files flashing i restored my CMW V20l Backup and boot. Seems all ok, but the FD Bug still exist!!! frown.gif

After that i install again with getril the 725 V20l Italy Version, but also not help...FD Bug still exist...

So are there some advice...?

Is it really neccessary that all 4 files are flashed in row...without fail?

Guest lap33733

Oh my, something's definitely changed here.. 1st time opening GMaps at my balcony (clear view of the sky - 1st use of GPS) got a GPS fix in less than 10s with 7m accuracy - best ever seen on th o2x.

Strange behaviour:

A) Momentarily i see the HSPA icon turning white (no connection to google servers supposedly ) and green again, w/out any loss of data connection though

B)When i get GPS fix, the GPS icon dissapears (fix remains strong @ 7m)

Same gps behavior here. Meanwhile new baseband seems to solve 3g and phone signal drops. Still losing signal from time to time but phone recovers it.

Guest Ferni Elche

I flashed the radio baseband and had the timeout error too flashing the third file. I tried to start my phone, lefting 2 files without flash and he started, having wiped the phone. After shutting donw the phone again and continued with flashing the left files without any issue.

I have to say that after change to v20l and to its baseband the phone seems to work right, but It feels to have a higher batteery consumption, i'm not sure about that, and need to check this more carefully, because I was installing through hspa a lot of apps, and walking trying a while the gps which works super. I said the thing about battery drain because i had installed GR4 before and after flash yesterday with cwm the new v20l rom the batt seamed to sink very very slowly untill I flashed the new radio.

An issue with my BT carradio has been solved, I could hear other but they don't me!! Now solved. No mention that the overall performance is more than acceptable and will be probably better with some improvements from Paul. Some people was probably expecting a new super-rocket phone... but it is what it is... and it works fine, in my oppinion. :)

Guest HariSeldon85

V20L with his baseband (725) it's a killing combination for my phone battery with 3G data enabled all time!

In 8 Hours the phone goes from 100% to 0%. -.-".

Back to Fr19 with 622 BB and i can complete my day with 3G connection enabled all time!

Edited by HariSeldon85

Guest Ximo F. Verde

Same gps behavior here. Meanwhile new baseband seems to solve 3g and phone signal drops. Still losing signal from time to time but phone recovers it.

After a day's testing, ive had no noticeable signal drops but did have data issues. after some time at idle, checked the phone to see that signal/3G icon had turned white and when tried to enter market, it switched to hspa but nothing was downloaded. turning wifi on n off got it back on (green icons, hspa working). tomorrow ill try to flash back v10d and go thru the lg tool.. what a bummer

Guest hackworks

Thanks alot! (V20L stock with root has root for me)

Is there a way to bring up the about phone dialog without going through settings? (It crashes for me..)

I get root for the deodexed ROM but not the stock-rooted variant! I see the su binary but Superuser.apk from Market is not able to find it. It gives up. Something is wrong for sure.

Guest dbbloke

Downloaded Pauls 20l and flashed, deleted everything and cache etc.

I flashed the zip download of 4 files for the newer baseband (last one I had to try 3 times before I got it to take, normal problem is communications with the phone in smartflash).

Everything worked fine, I initially thought battery was a bit average, but it wasn't really. The good thing is that the normal lockups I was getting with GR4 and are the first time I've ever had lockups on my 2X were no longer there. Mind you, I think GR4 was good for 203 days before it decided to start hanging.

But I got fed up with the basic LG setup in particular the keyboard, and decided to go back to my GR4 which is setup nicely, GR5 didn't recognice any APN's automatically so a bit useless when I turn off my wifi routers and need gigabit, phone had no connection :( So still waiting for a nice Kitchen version of GR5 soon which on my limited testing seemed like GR4 but without the hang.

Paul, Thanks very much for your hard work. KDZ flashing isn't so hard but absolutely no fun. :)

Guest rasta666

I went a different way: flashed the new baseband and the restored my previous backup with GR4 + HP RC6, then installed the ril from this official update (Italian one).

So far everything works good, signal is stable, no FD issues, battery stats cleared but have not done yet a full power cycle to calibrate, now my battery is at 82% after 9 hours of light use.

Had only one issue when sending a text message failed, manual resend worked, but that is probably just random and not related.

So far, so good.

Guest Simon Pratte

I did flash 4 files in alpha. order and HP SR1 Kernel and I am stuck in the boot loop any suggestions?

I did clear everything....

Try flashing the 4 files from the biggest to the smallest files. It's what people reported doing and working for them.

Guest Basil 123

I kept Paul's ext4 Gr4 with the SR1 and 999switch. This combo has been rock solid with amazing battery life, crystal clear voice calls.

But I did flash the v20l BB and Italian RIL.

Wonder what improvements if any in Gr5 over Gr4?

Guest rasta666

I kept Paul's ext4 Gr4 with the SR1 and 999switch. This combo has been rock solid with amazing battery life, crystal clear voice calls.

But I did flash the v20l BB and Italian RIL.

Wonder what improvements if any in Gr5 over Gr4?

I think that improvements will be mainly in stability and reliability, as Paul now has a base on which to build the roms, and new kernel source for Gingerbread.

So no new big changes i presume, aside Pauls known tweaks, to get a stable and good performing system.

We will probably get a few other more extreme kernels based on the new source at XDA.

For now, the only thing I hope, is Paul to comment those lines out for the stock kernel, so we get a fast boot time after installing other kernels, then I am set for some time until something big happens :)

Guest Diskbox

flashed largest to smallest separately then restored my backup and baseband is unrecognised. No carrier connections. Any ideas how to fix it?

EDIT: do you have to wipe before restoring?

Edited by Diskbox

Guest williamsun

Hi Paul...I've installed the v20l-stock-rooted-deodex.zip and also the stock.zip and hit error message while I'm trying to open the Phone Information (About Phone) from setting :

The process.com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again

And I was COMING FROM this ROM

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1181407

18/Oct Gr4 V20j: MoDaCo Custom ROM for the LG Optimus 2X Stock/Vanilla/Extreme

before flashing v20l-stock-rooted-deodex.zip & stock.zip

Any idea on this one ? THanks ..and once again appreciated on your good and hard work, Paul :)

P.S I also notice the stock.zip installed without rooted and I got rooted v20l-stock-rooted-deodex.zip after flashed ... > without changing the BB

I think that improvements will be mainly in stability and reliability, as Paul now has a base on which to build the roms, and new kernel source for Gingerbread.

So no new big changes i presume, aside Pauls known tweaks, to get a stable and good performing system.

We will probably get a few other more extreme kernels based on the new source at XDA.

For now, the only thing I hope, is Paul to comment those lines out for the stock kernel, so we get a fast boot time after installing other kernels, then I am set for some time until something big happens :)

No source has been released for the new kernel yet, so it's going to be a bit of a wait before any custom kernels can be based on the gingerbread version.sad.gif

Guest williamsun

hm...also

Problem I have will be the GPS satellite not working...

*** CORRECTION - it works now~!!!! just need some start up time like 30 minutes 'warm up' for the GPS after flahs.. but found that the GPS (satellite) isn't accurate enough ..

on [ROM] 18/Oct Gr4 V20j: MoDaCo Custom ROM for the LG Optimus 2X Stock/Vanilla/Extreme

and +

(rooted / rooted+deodex)

battery drain : didn't monitor the battery usage though ... *** Battery life average since difference isn't that obvious though..

Edit : my BB is 725 : forgot the origin flashed from where already ... -.-

AND I've tried the 4 different files .fls > BB flashing > didn't work on my p990 > hit error on each file...don;t know why...T.T

any idea to resolve ? Thanks ...

So left this : 0.o ...or maybe I should flash with this BB ??Baseband 1035.21_20110725

http://android.modaco.com/topic/335494-12-aug-smartflash-stock-baseband-release-103521-20110725/

Hi Paul...I've installed the v20l-stock-rooted-deodex.zip and also the stock.zip and hit error message while I'm trying to open the Phone Information (About Phone) from setting :

Edited by williamsun

Guest Ximo F. Verde

I went a different way: flashed the new baseband and the restored my previous backup with GR4 + HP RC6, then installed the ril from this official update (Italian one).

So far everything works good, signal is stable, no FD issues, battery stats cleared but have not done yet a full power cycle to calibrate, now my battery is at 82% after 9 hours of light use.

Had only one issue when sending a text message failed, manual resend worked, but that is probably just random and not related.

So far, so good.

If i get this right, have you managed to overcome the data/cell hung?? I am quite desperate to be honest, it seems that there's no way to fix it no matter what BB/GB rom combi i try. 1st I tried flashing Paul's deodexed-rooted version and then the 4-fls BB flash and as issues continued i went thru the kdz method in order to have a clean-as-possible stock version, but issues continue. When i get up in the morning i get a white 3G icon, no data, cant make a phone (hungs on 'calling'). If i let the phone trying to place the call, it eventually goes 'call ended' without being able to place it (at this time trying to call the mobile goes straight to the answering machine) and right after that, data sort of 'wakes up', cell signal too and the phone is up and running. I noticed that during this 'dead cell' period, when on dialer, there's a constant 'loading' turning icon on the 'contacts' tab that eventually says something like USIM loaded (or something, cant remember exactly) when phone wakes up. Same situations as b4, there might be signal/data hungs throught the day, meaning that the phone is practically not to be trusted, meaning that i have to constantly check wether the device is operable (connected to cell/data). Ive been having this crappy behaviour for sometime know, and i really dont know what to think.. Could it be a SIM/HW issue?? What exactly did you do and when exactly (if u rememmber) did problems got solved. Thanx in advance

A desperate o2x user :)

Guest rasta666

If i get this right, have you managed to overcome the data/cell hung??

What exactly did you do and when exactly (if u rememmber) did problems got solved. Thanx in advance

A desperate o2x user :)

Sorry to hear that Your problems are still present.

Yes, my problems with data are over for a few days now.

My journey went like this:

Was on old 725 Gingerbread baseband and GR4 prebake HPRC4, had data issues, Converted back to EXT3 (wiped all), installed kitchen bake GR4 with stock kernel + LG theme and programs (no 2G toggle settings installed). Data connection works, tried the phone info -data reconnects correctly after 10 seconds.

After that, i tried "universalEXT4converter" in cwm and converted the the ROM that is already installed, flashed HP RC5-test version.

Data connection still works, tried the phone info -data reconnects correctly after 10 seconds.

Noticed that occasionally the data issue still happens, but very rare.

Flashed HP RC6.- still ok, with rare issues.FD bug still present from before.

Did backup in CWM.

Downloaded V20l deodexed for CWM to external card.

Flashed the new (4 part) baseband, without disconnecting the phone, just waited one reboot to LG logo cycle after,and did the volume button thingy to go to SW update again for every 4 files.

Let the phone to boot to the fresh factory reseted rom.

Back in CWM, (wiped all for good measure), installed V20l deodexed (worked smooth,noticed the "Settings-about phone" crash issue).

Back in CWM, (wiped all for good measure), restored GR4+HP RC6 from backup, again convert to EXT4 (just in case)

Booted to GR4, opened LG ril program,updated database, scanned phone to find the V20l ril (Italian) from the downloaded ROM on external card, installed italian ril.

Rebooted. No data hangs noticed for now, checked aLogcat- FD issue resolved.

For now almost perfect for me.Battery life good, just long boot.

Edited by rasta666