[ROM][GEN2] Swedish Snow RLS7 (Android 2.3.5)

Guest KonstaT

Guest greggie

Hi, I have problems after installing this ROM, I went back from Konstakang ICS due to non-existing Wifi tether.

I have Gen1, so I used the All-in-one TPT installation, everything went fine, but I am unable to install any app, neither from play store nor from SD card. The phone freezes and reboots after couple of seconds.

edit: sorry for lame problem - solved by reformatting the old SD card ext partition used by Link2SD

Edited by greggie

Guest BladeRunner10

CM9 is still not stable on my blade so i switched to Swedish Snow RLS7 + Stock Kernel Patch from KonstaT...it is really smooth and works very well....but still i am waiting for the stable version of the CM9 updates please...thanks and more power !!!! go BLADERS!!!

Guest Snap.IT
CM9 is still not stable on my blade so i switched to Swedish Snow RLS7 + Stock Kernel Patch from KonstaT...it is really smooth and works very well....but still i am waiting for the stable version of the CM9 updates please...thanks and more power !!!! go BLADERS!!!

Any particular reason why you downgraded to stock kernel?

ICS will never be stable (or rather it won't ever be moved to stable since it's missing drivers that will never come, it's very stable for most anyway).

Guest Phantum

Thank you for this, it really works great and has greatly improved the usability of my Blade. It very easy to upgrade my ROM, thanks to all the posts and information in various places and I have learned a great deal about Android and the phones. I am now looking forward to exploring more mods for my phone and learn to program in Android myself. I always enjoyed programming more back when resources were limited (although my phone already far exceeds my first computer now) and programs short and sweet.

I have a question about cache2tmpfs, which at 42MB is still to small for one of my games to upgrade. Of course I can use an off market source, but that is time consuming and always a bit risky. I searched for info on this and found it was a line in /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh

mount -t tmpfs -o size=42M,nr_inodes=42k,mode=0770 tmpfs /cache

Can I make it larger by changing the 42M and 42k to 60 say? Is this just a temporary RAM disk created when downloading something using market, so it will be removed from RAM afterwards and not affect my system when I am not using GooglePlay?

Cheers

Craig

Guest KonstaT

Thank you for this, it really works great and has greatly improved the usability of my Blade. It very easy to upgrade my ROM, thanks to all the posts and information in various places and I have learned a great deal about Android and the phones. I am now looking forward to exploring more mods for my phone and learn to program in Android myself. I always enjoyed programming more back when resources were limited (although my phone already far exceeds my first computer now) and programs short and sweet.

I have a question about cache2tmpfs, which at 42MB is still to small for one of my games to upgrade. Of course I can use an off market source, but that is time consuming and always a bit risky. I searched for info on this and found it was a line in /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh

mount -t tmpfs -o size=42M,nr_inodes=42k,mode=0770 tmpfs /cache

Can I make it larger by changing the 42M and 42k to 60 say? Is this just a temporary RAM disk created when downloading something using market, so it will be removed from RAM afterwards and not affect my system when I am not using GooglePlay?

Cheers

Craig

Check /system/etc/init.d/05cache2tmpfs. Yeah, you can increase it to 60M. It's temporary filesystem (tmpfs) in RAM and it allocates memory only when needed (maximum currently being 42mb).

Guest Phantum

Wow, thanks for the prompt reply.

I changed it (only needed 50MB I found), but a couple of things I noticed, for if anyone else wants to do this

Editing the file (ES file explorer) I needed to enable write to system, and after saving the file I needed to change the permissions back to executable again.

Reboot and then update from play store worked perfectly.

Thanks again KonstaT

Guest elrond_bs

I have more than 150 apps installed and my blade is not slower. ;) If you have slow sd card and move apps to it, this might be the reason.

Edited by elrond_bs

Guest Cyclothunder

I have more than 150 apps installed and my blade is not slower. If you have slow sd card and move apps to it, this might be the reason.

Hi,

Did you move either app-data or dalvik-cache to SD ?

Thanks in advance.

Guest Snap.IT

Hi,

Did you move either app-data or dalvik-cache to SD ?

Thanks in advance.

With that amount of apps he'd have to move both to the SD-card.

I am running my entire ROM and data from the SD card in a separately mounted loop file and i STILL don't get any slow downs.

People don't seem to understand this much but the seek time on the sdcard is real fast with a 2MB cach enabled (and yes since there is no physical space storage it's all about addressing so all files are at all times continuous per the allocation table cache scanning), in some cases faster than on internal.

So don't worry too much about it, it'll be about the same speed except that keeping data on internal and putting the apps on SD will make it faster than either one,l working as a raid 0 setup it can read from both via two interfaces using full speed on both.

So there is that, it's not noticeable though.

Guest mickeystar

anyway to stop this phone from vibrating after you send a text without putting your phone on silent

i put my phone on vibrate, every time i send a text or call after i get a notification showing my credit but it always vibrates when it does this

any way to stop it???

Guest thewild

I've just had a strange problem.

I realized that Wifi was not working (it was automatically disabled after a few seconds searching for networks), and knowing that there were alternative kernels for the wifi I thought that the problem might come from there.

I flashed the latest moldovan kernel (SS-RLS7-New-Moldovan-Stock-Kernel-Gen2), and after reboot my sd-ext partition was gone.

I opened S2E and saw that everything was greyed out. I tried to go in settings > mount as ext4, but it was already checked. Cheking/unchecking, rebooting, etc... nothing seemed to help.

I then tried to flash the other kernel (SS-RLS7-Stock-Kernel-Gen2), but same problem : I can't remount my ext partition.

I did nandroid backup, and it went through the "backing up sd-ext" process, so I assume that my sd-ext is still here and good.

I checked kernel's updater-script, and can find nothing that could harm my sd-ext partition there.

What else can I try ?

Ah, I forgot to mention that I totally forgot to do a nandroid backup BEFORE flashing the kernel, that would have been too easy ;)

Guest thewild

Konstat, no idea about this S2E problem ?

I got back to a previous nandroid backup, but I still have that wifi issue.

Which kernel should I try (I have a French ZTE Blade, GEN1 TPT-ed to GEN2, OLED) ?

Thanks !

Guest KonstaT

Konstat, no idea about this S2E problem ?

I got back to a previous nandroid backup, but I still have that wifi issue.

Which kernel should I try (I have a French ZTE Blade, GEN1 TPT-ed to GEN2, OLED) ?

Thanks !

Iirc stock kernels don't have EXT3/4 support (only EXT2). S2E only works with CyanogenMod ROMs. This ROM comes with darktremor a2sd. You should use that instead.

Guest thewild

Iirc stock kernels don't have EXT3/4 support (only EXT2). S2E only works with CyanogenMod ROMs. This ROM comes with darktremor a2sd. You should use that instead.

Ah, OK, thanks for the explanation.

Well, S2E works fine with Swedish-Snow-RLS7.zip, so I guess this one has a different kernel ?

Otherwise, can I just mount my existing sd-ext used by S2E with darktremor a2sd ? I moved applications, data and app-private.

Another option might be to convert my existing ext4 to ext2 ? (EDIT : ah, it seems that Simple2Ext only works with EXT3/4, so this is still not an option)

Edited by thewild

Guest mickeystar

anyway to stop this phone from vibrating after you send a text without putting your phone on silent

i put my phone on vibrate, every time i send a text or call after i get a notification showing my credit but it always vibrates when it does this

any way to stop it???

Great ROM. Only issue I have is that I cannot see messages in Facebook and FB Mesenger, refresh - blank page with error message "There was a problem connecting to Facebook. Please check your connection and try again." Can anybody help me with this?

I have tried everything wit FB app, but no success.

Many thanks,

Sly.

having trouble installing this ROM. im reading through the thread trying to find advice, but thought id do a quick post to see if anyone could offer a solution.

heres the scenario...

gen 2

was running fish n chips

downloaded swedish snow and put the .zip file onto sd card.

wiped data,cache

powered off

powered on using vol up & menu key

green writing appeared saying it was installing......went on to boot into clockwork recovery

thats it, stays in recovery, even after reboot.

what am i missing folks?

kind regards,

simon

having trouble installing this ROM. im reading through the thread trying to find advice, but thought id do a quick post to see if anyone could offer a solution.

heres the scenario...

gen 2

was running fish n chips

downloaded swedish snow and put the .zip file onto sd card.

wiped data,cache

powered off

powered on using vol up & menu key

green writing appeared saying it was installing......went on to boot into clockwork recovery

thats it, stays in recovery, even after reboot.

what am i missing folks?

kind regards,

simon

sorted.

Guest azidhaka

There is a growing number of apps which do not work correctly on the RLS7, because certain UI elements do nothing when pressed:

- In Moon+ ebook reader, pressing Options when reading does not produce the Settings menu and fonts, themes, font sizes, etc cannot be set.

- In imo.im beta the bottom Options bar does not show the menu for adding and searching of contacts.

- In Camera FV-5 none of the on-screen elements produce the menus.

They all are a 'floting-above-app' type of menus, which do work correctly on CM7.2.

I've contacted the Moon+ developer with a logcat of me pressing the Options button, he couldn't find a reason for that behavior.

Can someone please test any of the apps and see if they show the same problems i've described?

Thank you.