[HOW-TO] A2SD for Coldfusion ICS

Guest uosiek

Guest XeS0r

hello i just instal simple2ext-v5-zip but i cant see any difference out of the s2e app all my apps are like before!!

Which difference did you expect?

Guest rak007

I have a 8GB SD Card installed on my ZTE Blade and have installed the ColdFusion ICS ROM but as everyone i too am having space issues. I have never done this ext parttition on my SD Card. I believe the steps mentioned here or using the flashable zip mentioned are to be done assuming one has the ext partition already available.

Can anyone point me to a thread or link which explains how to create the ext partition so i can also then make use of the v4/v5 zip to be able to move majority of apps to SD card.

Guest probals

That's because you've moved everything to your ext partition. Moving the Application data directory and the dalvik-cache to your ext partition will eventually slow down the system due to concurrent file access.

Thx XeSOr. So you would recommend that only the application data be moved and not davlik cache. Right?

P

Guest probals

I have a 8GB SD Card installed on my ZTE Blade and have installed the ColdFusion ICS ROM but as everyone i too am having space issues. I have never done this ext parttition on my SD Card. I believe the steps mentioned here or using the flashable zip mentioned are to be done assuming one has the ext partition already available.

Can anyone point me to a thread or link which explains how to create the ext partition so i can also then make use of the v4/v5 zip to be able to move majority of apps to SD card.

Use CWM to partition SD card. Look under 'Advanced' .. I think. All options are there itself. Do a backup of your card 1st though.

P

Guest XeS0r

Thx XeSOr. So you would recommend that only the application data be moved and not davlik cache. Right?

P

That was no recommendation, you can do whatever you want. I've moved everything to the ext partition. Because i don't expect my blade to be super fast. So feel free to try it out and report your results.

Guest Cyclothunder

That's because you've moved everything to your ext partition. Moving the Application data directory and the dalvik-cache to your ext partition will eventually slow down the system due to concurrent file access.

Could a sd-card class10 "fix" that slow down? or not entirely?

At the moment i have a class4 and was thinking buying a class10

Guest uosiek

Could a sd-card class10 "fix" that slow down? or not entirely?

At the moment i have a class4 and was thinking buying a class10

I have San Disk Extreme 3 (maybe 2, don't remember) microSD card and system is slowed down when recompiling dalvik cache (updating of apps), rest of time is generally as fast as normal

Guest Cyclothunder

I have San Disk Extreme 3 (maybe 2, don't remember) microSD card and system is slowed down when recompiling dalvik cache (updating of apps), rest of time is generally as fast as normal

Are you saying that i will not notice speed improvement with a class10 card? :(

If so then no need to spend money on this.

Guest jpeg729

I have been using this on CFX 15/06 and it is just GREAT! Thankyou so much!!!

I moved dalvik to SD and it is running just fine, but now I would like to upgrade to CFX 28/06 and I have a question.

I suppose that CWM doesn't know where to find the dalvik cache if it is on the SD, so I can't just wipe dalvik and flash the new ROM. Am I right or is there a nice quick way of doing it? Would formatting sd-ext from within CWM do the trick?

Thankyou,

jpeg729

Edited by jpeg729

Guest XeS0r

is there a way to download v5 file as I can't seem to find it as a zip only individual files!

Press "Control" + "S" or use "File" -> "Download". (From the google Drive Menu Bar!)

Edited by XeS0r

Guest ll Sravan Kumar ll

Hi,

I'm using Coldfusion Alpha 3 and I was fighting for two whole days to get A2SD working. Link2SD wasn't satissfiy me. Here's my receipe:

Create file 05sdcard with content:

#!/system/bin/sh

/system/bin/mount -o remount,rw /

/system/bin/mkdir /sd-ext

/system/bin/mount -o remount,ro /

if [ -e /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 ];

then

/system/bin/mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /sd-ext

fi;

then adb remount adb push 05sdcard /etc/init.d/ adb shell chmod 0755 /etc/init.d/05sdcard Then download ICS_simple2ext.zip, unzip it to /sdcard with preserving directory structure (META-INF in .zip is /sdcard/META-INF etc) Next: adb shell And copy-paste into adb shell window:

mount -o remount,rw /system

rm /system/etc/init.d/10apps2sd

cp /sdcard/system/app/s2e.apk /system/app/

cp /sdcard/system/etc/init.d/20userinit /system/etc/init.d/

chmod 0644 /system/app/s2e.apk

chmod 0755 /system/etc/init.d/20userinit

mount -o remount,ro /system

reboot, setup s2e according to Your preferences, reboot (watch adb logcat, this boot should take longer) If everything works go to fridge and open Cold Beer of Winner biggrin.gif Credits: uosiu (myself → this how-to), (tlexul → inspiration from THIS POST/XDA-Developers) and OlegKrikun/XDA-Developers for S2E application.
hi, need some help on this . the first part (pushing file) worked fine for me. but the second part gives me errors. i extracted the zip file to the root of my sdcard and ran the commands. here's the errors i got ....

root@android:/ # rm /system/etc/init.d/10apps2sd

rm failed for /system/etc/init.d/10apps2sd, No such file or directory

255|root@android:/ # cp /sdcard/system/app/s2e.apk /system/app/

cp: can't stat '/sdcard/system/app/s2e.apk': No such file or directory

0userinit /system/etc/init.d/

cp: can't stat '/sdcard/system/etc/init.d/20userinit': No such file or di

1|root@android:/ # chmod 0644 /system/app/s2e.apk

Unable to chmod /system/app/s2e.apk: No such file or directory

10|root@android:/ # chmod 0755 /system/etc/init.d/20userinit

Unable to chmod /system/etc/init.d/20userinit: No such file or directory

EDIT : got it working :). had to turnoff the usb storage

Edited by ll Sravan Kumar ll

Guest XeS0r

Than you format and create a partition with ROM Manager or dont need it?

Create ext partition first with clockworkmod or something you're familiar with.

Guest XeS0r

V4 worked for me... :)

What's with v5 which i've made? I've tested that package on 5 different blades and everything works like a charm.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you saying that i will not notice speed improvement with a class10 card? :(

If so then no need to spend money on this.

you probably will NOT. class of an SD card has little to do with it's actual speed. Those are MINIMAL sequential write values. Cards can exceed those values by far other cards can barely reach it.

Also (when you're concerned with a2sd speed) you're not interested in sequential read/write values. Random read/write is what matters.

Guest ak167777

Thanks for the v5 script,

it works really good for my cfx4.0

but i just wanner create swap recently,

After i create swap on sd card, seem cfx4.0 cant see ext4 partition. any processes i missed?

create ext4

flash update

flash gapps

flash simple2ext-v5.zip

install s2e

reboot

install apps

> after using few weeks, feel slow on playing games

create swap

reboot

then seem ext4 not found~

thanks for help~~

Guest creedence

I just have one question.I use link2sd.

Should I first delete link2sd?After CM9 flash again?

Or does the simple2ext-v5.zip without CM9 flash?

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...
Guest HarryPirate

This is what I did:

Partition SD Card through Clockwork Mod (512 ext/64 Swap)

Flash Rom

Flash Gapps

Flash s2e_V5

Reboot

Open S2E Checked the first 2 boxes

Reboot

Even though S2E shows "Reboot is required" It seems that is moving the apps to the right places. Is it normal to show "Reboot is required"?

Guest nitinkumar

This is what I did:

Partition SD Card through Clockwork Mod (512 ext/64 Swap)

Flash Rom

Flash Gapps

Flash s2e_V5

Reboot

Open S2E Checked the first 2 boxes

Reboot

Even though S2E shows "Reboot is required" It seems that is moving the apps to the right places. Is it normal to show "Reboot is required"?

is there any way of moving APPLICATION DATA also as when i check that option and after rebooting when i download from play store it says insufficient space available.

plzz help if anybody can..

THANKS IN ADVANCE

• 1 month later...
Guest neothegod

Here's the problem.

I'v got ZTE Blade with Coldfusion ICS 29/05.

Got s2e installed.

The phone has plenty of space free:

Despite this, OS thinks that it has less internal storage than it uses.

Some apps install seamlessly, but some other don't install saying "Insufficient storage available"

The problem has already been mentioned here, so it's not just me.

Looks to me like the space available is calculated ignoring the fact that /data/app is on another file system.

Dunno who is to blame: core ics or cm or s2e...

Any suggestions?

Strange its been so long and still there is no fix for CM9. Even with latest s2e, which is fully compatible with CM10 - allowing you to move app, app data without getting Insufficient Storage Available.

Guest neothegod

Can anyone give a detailed walk-through on how to make this work. I am not an expert with ADB shell. Also, does this with PRECM9 AOKP remix in moving application data?

Guest neothegod

Hi,

I'm using Coldfusion Alpha 3 and I was fighting for two whole days to get A2SD working. Link2SD wasn't satissfiy me. Here's my receipe:

Create file 05sdcard with content:

#!/system/bin/sh

/system/bin/mount -o remount,rw /

/system/bin/mkdir /sd-ext

/system/bin/mount -o remount,ro /

if [ -e /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 ];

then

/system/bin/mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /sd-ext

fi;

then adb remount adb push 05sdcard /etc/init.d/ adb shell chmod 0755 /etc/init.d/05sdcard Then download ICS_simple2ext.zip, unzip it to /sdcard with preserving directory structure (META-INF in .zip is /sdcard/META-INF etc) Next: adb shell And copy-paste into adb shell window:

mount -o remount,rw /system

rm /system/etc/init.d/10apps2sd

cp /sdcard/system/app/s2e.apk /system/app/

cp /sdcard/system/etc/init.d/20userinit /system/etc/init.d/

chmod 0644 /system/app/s2e.apk

chmod 0755 /system/etc/init.d/20userinit

mount -o remount,ro /system

reboot, setup s2e according to Your preferences, reboot (watch adb logcat, this boot should take longer)

If everything works go to fridge and open Cold Beer of Winner biggrin.gif

Credits: uosiu (myself → this how-to), (tlexul → inspiration from THIS POST/XDA-Developers) and OlegKrikun/XDA-Developers for S2E application.

Is anyone able to move Application data (..data/data) to sd-ext using this method? Also can anyone please post a detailed step by step guide for noobs like me.