Random factory resets

Guest Gnaver

Guest Gnaver

HI, week ago i bought this phone from Vodafone in Czech Republic (B884). Everything was ok since yesterday. I was playing a game and suddenly the phone freeze and i had to remove the battery. After switching it on the phone wrote four rows of error (cant read data, cant read cache etc) and its self formatted everything. So I set it up again but it happens again today when i was just typing sms...Can you tell me if ill upgrade to B888 if this will happen again? why is this happening. Thnx for any answer

Guest ovecka

I have been using B888 since the beginning and I haven't seen a single crash even though I torture the poor boy with installing, trying and uninstalling dozens of apps every day so I would say flashing B888 should solve it. But just to be sure, you should consider flashing B886 as If it is some sort of HW problem, you can easily revert back and return the phone to Vodafone.

Guest Gnaver

Im just confused because a whole week everything was ok...i dont know if it can be done by any data on SD card, because lately i installed PES2012 and first crash was when playing modern combat 2. But the second was when i was only scrolling thourgh screens so dunno...

If anyone can read it and analyze, heres error.hprof generated after crash and self format.

error.rar

Edited by Gnaver

Guest BLaZiNgSPEED

I've not come across this yet. But could you tell us exactly what game you were playing?

This is pretty important. You don't want to run for example a game that was not designed for this phone. Like for example if it was made for a device that was too powerful, Tegra, etc. This has probably heated up your GPU/Processor eventually causing your phone to freeze. That's probably what happened in your case. I have B885 not come across this yet.

Edit: @Gnaver: Okay you mentioned this started happening first with modern combat 2. Which isn't really supported for this device yet. Which version did you install? In other words, for what phone was it originally designed to run on?

PES 2012 is officially supported for this phone, I have that game too and not come across this issue. But if you have come across this problem even in PES 2012. Then it could probably mean that the damage has already been done from your Modern Combat 2 game which first caused you the freeze.

I don't think installing the next ROM will fix it. It could be a hardware damage. But you could try with B885 Vodafone version first and see if you're experiencing the same issue. If you do then you may have to go back to the vodafone store for a replacement.

Oh I forgot to also mention. Try also using the phone without the SD card and see if you experience this again. Then you'll know if the SD card has a problem or an issue with the phone itself.

Edited by BLaZiNgSPEED

Guest Gnaver

Thnx for answer. Few people in my country have this problem too. One have when installing sygic aura and another just randomly when he was browsing....ill wait till friday and if it happens again ill replace it (ive already called to vodafone and booked one for me :))

Guest BLaZiNgSPEED

Thnx for answer. Few people in my country have this problem too. One have when installing sygic aura and another just randomly when he was browsing....ill wait till friday and if it happens again ill replace it (ive already called to vodafone and booked one for me :))

Best of luck then. :)

If in case you do require a replacement. Just make sure that next time you're careful what you install. The reason I asked you which version of the game you installed is because some that are designed for more powerful phones mustn't be installed for this device or it can cause damage to your phone.

Even for games that are officially supported, you need to install the version for this device and not for Tegra device versions and such..

If you get a replacement, don't install the same version of Modern Combat 2 that you previously tried or else you're risking it to be damaged again..

Guest Gnaver

For the modern combat there was no description for which type if chipset it is. And night before the second crash i installed theme hospital and smurfs village (both from market)

Guest pelago

Is it really possible to physically damage a phone by running a game? I can easily imagine the game not working, but wouldn't the CPU/GPU halt if it got too hot? Certainly that's what Intel processors have done for years (e.g. if you run one without a heatsink, the computer will halt, but there'll be no damage) and I'd assume that ARM would be the same.

Guest BLaZiNgSPEED

Is it really possible to physically damage a phone by running a game? I can easily imagine the game not working, but wouldn't the CPU/GPU halt if it got too hot? Certainly that's what Intel processors have done for years (e.g. if you run one without a heatsink, the computer will halt, but there'll be no damage) and I'd assume that ARM would be the same.

Well I'm not sure about that. But PC's are different in a way, because the graphics card of a computer can cope with higher temperatures and it's also got an integrated fan.

That's why the highend graphics cards on a computer from GTX 560 Ti and above have 2 large fans. Even for a computer case there's better cooling system and arctic coolers, holes and big space for airflow. The motherboard also warns you and shuts down your PC if the temperatures exceed beyond the normally accepted temperature.

The Ascend G300 phone doesn't even have proper cooling system, there are no holes at the back or the side cover! So it's obvious that you'd assume it would be vulnerable to heat. I am suspecting that that's what happened to Gnaver's G300 phone.

The game will install and work, the phone won't stop you from installing a different apk file version on it. I know I demonstrated a few days ago videos running Modern Combat 3 and Asphalt 6 on the G300. But in my case I used HTC Desire/Bravo version as a tester since they have the exact same 800x480 resolution of the G300. It's safer to only use a phone similar to the G300s specification.

But it is not safe to install a version like tegra devices. Or a version for a phone that had lets say 1280x720 screen resolution. That's unsafe as it's bound to cause heat. If a game version was designed for that resolution and you run it for a phone that has 800x480 resolution like the G300 all it would do is cause heat. The graphical textures, etc were not designed for 800x480 resolution.

A PC has a better defensive mechanism than a mobile phone device with such small hardware chipsets, which are easily more vulnerable to heat.

Guest Hogweed

If it was me I would return the phone as faulty for a replacement. Do not upgrade to an unofficial ROM if you suspect a possible hardware fault. Overheating is not likely if it crashed while simply sending an SMS. Also the system resetting itself back to factory default after a crash doesn't sound right to me. Something must have been badly screwed up.

Guest Gnaver

Lot of ppl with B884 firmware in my country suffering from this...i thought a little about this problem and i think it can happen because of fast system booting option. While the system making the restore points maybe theres a problem and the phone just freeze. After pulling the battery out the restoring point is gone but faulty software maybe force the phone to try reach the deleted restoring points so it say the errors that it cant read data and cache so its restore the last known restoring point - factory. Is this bullsh*t or it can be true? Because i dont think that Huawei will launch so much faulty device to the market without knowing this. Only one czech forum about 6 ppl in 3 days get this, one even cant start phone now...everybody B884, other guys on B886 a 888 without problems

Guest Hogweed

Well from what you say it does sound like a ROM problem. You should be able to flash B885 or B886 and still return to stock if you understand all the factors involved, Personally I would annoy the hell out of Vodafone about it and keep returning replacement devices while reporting them (or at least the threat of doing so) for selling faulty goods until they fix it. Low sound (and still very annoyingly unresponsive at times, on UK stock B885, capacitive buttons) is one thing but if a ROM fault is frequently crashing and factory resetting many phones then it is not fit for purpose IMHO.

Btw, if your speculation is correct maybe disabling fast booting would fix the problem?

Edited by Hogweed

Guest BLaZiNgSPEED

Go to settings about phone and at the top upgrade your phone. The vodafone firmware upgrade will give you a 14 Mb Asura Vodafone B885 update. I have B885 downloaded via WiFi from the online upgrades option. You'll then be able to return it back to vodafone if again you experience problems as the B885 update is an official vodafone update.

I also have fast booting on and I don't experience this problem. You didn't also try to overclock your processor using SetCPU android app by any chance? Overclocking is also dangerous as it will cause your processor to overheat even more, especially during gaming. Subsequently causing your other components to heat up too.

Guest Gnaver

Everything is stock, no modifications. So it must be problem in the rom. B885 should be downloadable in Czech next week since developers and corporations themselfs are slow and lazy bit***s

Guest Gnaver

Ok guys i think i got it...i really seems that the problem is in ROM, especially in fast boot option. I formated phone and SD and disable the fast boot option. Today i had random restart and phone automatically generated error message into SD. The message is the same as before when the phone resets itself. So i have to wait and pray that in the fixing update this will be fixed too :) and i hope im right and it wont happen again

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thrifty_paul

I had this problem yesterday, I have the 885 firmware, but was just using the Navigate app from Google. In my experience, that app is prone to crashing, but it does keep a phone "awake" for hours, but still annoying. Trouble is when a crash results in a factory reset. I have an 8 GB micro USB in the phone, taken straight from my old phone without reformatting. I have turned off fast boot now to see if that happens again. After the reset, I reinstalled the Navigate app, and it didn't crash again luckily.

Paul

Guest Gnaver

fast boot wont help, it happened to me twice again on updated rom. I emailed to the service which are repairing this type of phone to get an information. They told me that this should be motherboard problem and its not related to sw. So if this is true, huawei put lot of faulty devices to the market in different countries...

Guest Davidoff59

Someone has reported it to Huawei and they are looking into it. If you have this issue, complain to Huawei. They may do something about it then.

Guest Maximus9

HI, week ago i bought this phone from Vodafone in Czech Republic (B884). Everything was ok since yesterday. I was playing a game and suddenly the phone freeze and i had to remove the battery. After switching it on the phone wrote four rows of error (cant read data, cant read cache etc) and its self formatted everything. So I set it up again but it happens again today when i was just typing sms...Can you tell me if ill upgrade to B888 if this will happen again? why is this happening. Thnx for any answer

Hello there, did you install the B888? I am asking this because I want to know if Vodafone rejects the warranty on your phone because of this. I have to return mine and I have B888 on it and I am worried about that.

Guest Scorn

Finally, I've found somewhere that addresses this! I thought it was just my bad luck! I am currently on my third Huawei Ascend G300 handset (that's right... third) in the space of two months. In total, they have reformatted themselves ten times. Not kidding. Every time it has happened, it has been during completely different instances. Playing a basic game, browsing the internet, writing a text, switching between homescreens, even unlocking the screen and answering a call! I briefly worked in a Vodafone shop, and I raved about the handset, comparing it to the better higher-range options, which is why I bought it! Now, I'm not so sure. I don't know why it does it. My first handset was rooted. Thought that might be the problem, so the second handset, I didn't root. Now, on the non-rooted third, I'm dubious about downloading any apps at all, just in case they are the cause. I'm just getting sick of it happening all the time.

Guest Davidoff59

If you are afraid to use the phone for its intended purpose, then return it and get a refund. If its not fit for purpose, there is no point keeping it.

I can see Huawei having a huge issue in a few months with this phone if hardware failures keep rising. Now is the time to fix them, not when failure rates start increasing and the press is all over it.

Guest Smiff2

wee bit scared of this happening on mine... having it to 3 in a row suggests either a bad batch of phones or something you are running on the phone... any unusual services you've installed Scorn?