The San Diego hacking topic - root progress etc.

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest huggyc

I assume that superoneclick has been tried on the osd already?

It has.

What happened may I ask? because if it was just hanging on step 2 like some people had in the Lenovo K800 thread (above) then It may just be a case of trying different USB drivers...? ^_^ On the other hand if it bricked the OSD (or something similar) then obviously it isn't worth pursuing lol :unsure:

Edited by huggyc

Guest glossywhite

Is anyone still working on root, any news, hope, or is it time to abandon ship :(

Well I would... but... ya know. People want everything for free, which I find amusing. Once it gets rooted, watch the whole intermet FLOCK to Modaco...

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Frankish

I don't quite want to abandon ship as I LOVE this phone. Just has gone really quiet on here now and it's such a shame. Hopefully someone is quietly working on it.

I don't quite want to abandon ship as I LOVE this phone. Just has gone really quiet on here now and it's such a shame. Hopefully someone is quietly working on it.

Oh that's good, I thought I was the only one who thought the OSD was an awesome device. As far as I know, sebastion404 was trying some things, but from his twitter postage, it not look so good.

Edited by Guest

Guest Frankish

Yup it's a shame really...but I just can't go back to something cheaper. And definitely can't afford to go more expensive!

Guest joe1r23

I brought this phone on a two year contract which later that i found out about Intels locked boot loader which is a bit disappointing but don't get me wrong i still love this phone and i hope someone will find a way to root this phone within the space of my contract duration.

The sad thing is though that Intel/orange are really pushing to get this sold and i saw on some form that their was a poll of who would buy this device and at the time of reading the majority of the votes went to people who said they will buy it if it is rooted. so because Intel has locked the boot loader their is no clear way to root this device at the moment. which has already before this phone was put on sale cut the number of sales by an unknown percentage.

orange stated that the reason that the boot loaders are locked because

If phones aren’t security locked it’s possible that someone could develop a virus that could cause a large amount of harm to the device and/or personal security of our customers.

And that's understandable but correct me if im wrong but i have not heard of any boot loader virus on android devices.

This device has the potential to be the successor to the well selling san Francisco (which i previously owned) and i don't know if Intel/Orange know that but if they do i think they will realise that it is a mistake to lock the boot loader for this very reason but who knows maybe we will see some changes to the boot loader in the proposed ICS update.

but if they don't i will be happier with this device once i get ICS

Looking forward to what the future brings regarding the OSD

Guest joe1r23

I dont think all hope is lost because with regards to the locked boot loader previous locked boot loaders have been compromised for example the Motorola Droid X and the Samsung galaxy S 2 both had locked or secure boot loaders and now are both rootable.

Guest boristhespie

The Intel argument, maybe I am missing somethong but would it not be the case that those wanting security would leave their phone as is. Whule those willing to take the risk would root it. Thus any lack of security would affect only those willing to accect it?

Even if we only got root, that would be awesome, I am dying to freeze all that bloat as I am sure everyone else is too.

Edited by Guest

Guest Willo142

Is this still being worked upon, i have quite alot of experience rooting the previously unrooted, and this looks like my ideal phone, considering getting one, Anyone know where to get one Cheap in the UK? Cex doesnt seem to have them (atleast not under a name i can find.)

maybe ebay, I know a few have been selling based on no root, other than that it is only available with orange for 200 pounds.

As far as I know every known root method has been tried, this is new territory for android, however, never say never :)

Edited by Guest

Guest Willo142

glossywhite, id be happy to donate, but what past success/experience do you have with android, specifically the rooting ad exploit scene.