[ICS] [CM9] [4.0.4] CyanogenMod 9 for the Huawei Ascend G300 [ROM]

Guest Dazzozo

Guest Davidoff59

Cm9 has one version, Cyanogenmod 9 or CM9.

Then there are other ICS roms like aosp and aokp.

You can downgrade from this yes,at the moment. If Dazzozo changes the bootloader to that from The Chinese version of ics, the downgrade is a lot more involved.

Guest unaszplodrmann

Looking good :) I have a G300 on back order atm, so I thought I'd make a small request whilst I'm twiddling my thumbs in anticipation: Please build the tun/tap kernel modules if they aren't included already. It'd save me A LOT of time compiling a kernel just for the sake of a couple of a couple of modules. Can't wait to get this installed!

Guest Hans Gruber

Well that's good new but it's odd that it didn't make it into the Chinese release

Looking at their Twitter feed they're talking about a demo version of ICS for the G300 again.

"Hi there, the demo version of of ICS for the G300 will be released in Q3. Please watch this space for news"

That was posted only 8 hours ago. I thought they'd said it would be a proper version of ICS for the G300? It could just be something lost in translation somewhere along the line.

Edited by Hans Gruber

Guest Valicek1

I was impatient and I tried it.. Now, you can add GPS to list of working things..

So, I have a question.. Can you move a GPS icon to the right side of statusbar? It's just a little detail, but...

Guest Dazzozo

Attention has been diverted to CM10 and Jelly Bean, but B926 baseband is dependent on a new HWQcomRIL to be written, which apparently Qiwu has done, but at the moment is unwilling or hasn't released it.

At this rate we may have to keep everyone on B8xx.

Guest vladax10

i have stock ics,but i am not satisfacte with speed at all,so in first place we need this to work...I know you can fix this when they release Ril...cheers!!

EDit: can i flash cm10 over stock ics?

Edited by vladax10

Guest Dazzozo

Do you have any other alternative? What's so bad about staying on B8xx?

All you lose is the screen alignment fix and the ext4 partition, but hey if qiwu wants to split the community, fair enough.

Guest FrankieADZ

Do you have any other alternative? What's so bad about staying on B8xx?

All you lose is the screen alignment fix and the ext4 partition, but hey if qiwu wants to split the community, fair enough.

:o is he holding somethin back then? :o

:o is he holding somethin back then? :o

Yes, apparently he has reversed the RIL but won't share it. :(

I'm sure someone more community minded will reverse the RIL at some point but until then it is qiwu's ball and he doesn't want anyone else playing with it.

Guest unaszplodrmann

Would petitioning Huawei to license out the RIL source have any impact? Maybe we could to offer to scratch their backs with the giant virtual loofer of love in payment ;)

Guest fr0do

So stock ICS is better than AOSP/ custom builds so far => reason to move to ICS, especially if Huawei release OpenGL.

Qiwi is our secret man on the inside. Gotta have patience for that spy stuff ;)

Guest Dazzozo

I actually beg to differ - with all that's broken in CM (because we don't have time to work on it with how fast everything else moves) I still prefer using it because of how slow B926 is.

Guest Dazzozo

Right, I'll break down the situation.

Huawei in their infinite wisdom implement the RIL (Radio Interface Layer) in their own awkward way - there are some legitimate reasons for doing this and some manufacturers do, but I think with Huawei it is just done to prevent modding.

Qiwu reversed the RIL implementation, which he named "HWQcomRIL", for B8xx on the old baseband, which he used in the LiGux build, and after a lot of hard bargaining he released it. Similar fighting has gone on since with anything that has been of interest to anyone else, such as the update.app splitting scripts. Obviously, with the new B926 baseband, the RIL implementation changed again and needs updating. He claims to have done this over on GitHub but as far as I can tell I have only been fobbed off so far.

Great, he wants the glory for his work -- no one can have a go at him for that. (Though frankly I think he would be given more credit if he was more open with his work...) The problem here is, with everyone upgrading now to B926, everyone is now going to have to downgrade again to B8xx to use a CM ROM, or any other source-built ROM for that matter. This divides the community and hurts his own goals as a man who apparently "loves" open-source. People have to deal with the complex process of hopping up and down official ROMs to be able to try out something new.

Sorry guys, this just frustrates me a lot. When my code contains trade secrets that are making me money, I will close the source on things. It's not the seeking glory that angers me, it's the attitude. Previously I had apparently convinced him with the update.app splitting scripts that an open-source attitude was better, though he seems to have just forgotten about that.

Meanwhile, I will get the RIL working on Jelly Bean, for B8xx, of course. I'll publicise my changes.

Here. https://github.com/Dazzozo/android_device_huawei_u8818/commit/e8eda316357dd3014443ea3466fd8659ba966e9f

I will stop looking like an emo teenager on tumblr now :)

Guest FrankieADZ

thanks for clearly it up Daz,

seems like from what your saying he only wants to be open source when it suits; which frankly is a same.