[22/07/2013] Eco CM7 - A minimalist cm7 build

Guest jventura

Guest jventura

Sometimes I have the need for a stable, snappy build, with all possible features that our Blade can give. Eco CM7 is my cm7 stripped-down, minimalist and efficient build for those times. It is tweaked to be as fast as possible with minimum bloat. Battery efficiency is also one of my goals.. As much as I like ICS or JB, Gingerbread seems hand-made to our ZTE Blades.

This build includes only a minimum bundle of applications, Google Play for installing other applications you need, and "Eco Wallpapers", an assortment of wallpapers from AOSP, cm10 and elsewhere.. The default launcher is LauncherPro, a minimalist and fast launcher, although zip files are available to install other launchers (check below - section "Additional").

Since Gingerbread is stable by now, and the patches on cm7 are scarce, I don't expect to do frequent updates, only stable releases.

Details

Features

• Eco Wallpapers
  • Automatic retrieval of Mms contents (for people without data plans)
  • Fast transitions and animations
  • Launcher Pro (default launcher - credits to the programmer)

More info

• Changelog (2nd post)
  • FAQ's and Suggested tweaks (3rd post)
  • Build instructions (3rd post)

Sources

Additional (Install in ClockworkMod)

post-820116-0-09432000-1352655712_thumb.

post-820116-0-18581900-1352655744_thumb.

post-820116-0-12589900-1352655760_thumb.

post-820116-0-22430400-1352655770_thumb.

post-820116-0-03229400-1352655778_thumb.

post-820116-0-36833200-1352655789_thumb.

post-820116-0-92458400-1352655834_thumb.

post-820116-0-31006100-1352655990_thumb.

Edited by jventura

Guest jventura

Changelog

22/07/2013 (http://www.multiupload.nl/FVHFGDZPFO)

• Fixes Masterkey bug.
  • Set scrolling cache default to disabled (faster scroll on menus).
  • Synced with cm7 repositories.

21/05/2013 (http://www.multiupload.nl/0JPE09PXQ0)

27/01/2013 (http://www.multiupload.nl/6Z6Z8H1I6H)

18/01/2013 (http://www.multiupload.nl/NIBDT64049)

• Synced with cm7 repositories (Most are updated Greek translations)

11/11/2012 (http://www.multiupload.nl/DR1H5MJYPU)

• Initial release
  • Synced with cm7 repositories
  • Mms auto-retrieval 1 2
  • Fast transitions/animations
  • Eco Wallpapers apk
  • Stock AOSP look
Edited by jventura

Guest jventura

FAQs and Tweaks

There are some suggestions also in this post.

- Battery Efficiency

• Set Smartassv2 Governor: Settings > CyanogenMod settings > Performance > CPU settings > Available governors. Don't forget to select "Set on boot".
  • You can also set the Minimum CPU frequency to 122 MHz to save some battery (not tested).
  • Disable automatic rotation: Settings > Display > Auto-rotate screen (sensor is drawing too much battery for now).
  • Automatic Brightness: Settings > Display > Brightness.

- Tweaks
    • On LauncherPro, set the Application drawer opening speed: "Menu button" > Preferences > Advanced Settings > (App Drawer) Opening Speed > Set to "7". It will be similar to the speed which other system applications start up.

Build Instructions (Adapted from KonstaT's CM10.1 instructions)

[*]Follow instructions on initializing a build environment up to a point of downloading the source code.

[*]Initialize CyanogenMod 7 repo.

repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b gingerbread
    [*]Create a file local_manifest.xml in .repo/local_manifests/ folder with the following content

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<manifest>

<project name="joaoventura/android_device_zte_blade" path="device/zte/blade" revision="gingerbread" />

<project name="joaoventura/proprietary_vendor_zte_blade" path="vendor/zte/blade" revision="gingerbread" />

<project name="joaoventura/zte-kernel-msm7x27" path="kernel/zte/zte-kernel-msm7x27" revision="2.6.35" />

<project name="joaoventura/EcoWallpapers" path="packages/apps/EcoWallpapers" revision="master" />

</manifest>

[/code]

[*]Get CM7 source code

[code]repo sync -d -j16[/code]
    [*]Update Prebuilts (just once in a while)
    [CODE] cd path-to/CM7_WORK_DIR/vendor/cyanogenmod/ ./get-rommanager [/code]
    [*]Change your CM7 base folder in the apply_patches script. Open [b]path-to/CM7_WORK_DIR/device/zte/blade/patches/apply_patches.sh[/b] with a text editor and change the following line to your [b]path-to/CM7_WORK_DIR/[/b]
    [code] # Set here the base location of your cyanogenmod files BASE_PATH=~/android/cm7 [/code]
    [*]Apply the patches for our ZTE Blade. Every time you resync (step 4), you will have to reapply the patches.
    [code] cd path-to/CM7_WORK_DIR/ device/zte/blade/patches/apply_patches.sh [/code]
    [*]Compile the ROM
    [code] cd path-to/CM7_WORK_DIR/ . build/envsetup.sh brunch blade -j8 [/code]

Edited by jventura

Guest Snap.IT

Sometimes I feel the need for a stable, snappy build, with all possible features that our Blade can give. Eco CM7 is my cm7 stripped-down, minimalist and efficient build for those times. It is tweaked to be as fast as possible with minimum bloat. Battery efficiency is also one of my goals.. As much as I like ICS or JB, Gingerbread seems hand-made to our ZTE Blades.

This build includes only a minimum bundle of applications, Google Play for installing other applications you need, and "Eco Wallpapers", an assortment of wallpapers from AOSP, cm10 and elsewhere.. The default launcher is LauncherPro, a minimalist and fast launcher, although zip files are available to install other launchers.

Details

• Gingerbread 2.3.7 (CM7)
  • Kernel 2.6.35
  • Gen 2
  • Fits in 128MB System Partition (has about 115MB)
  • Latest stable build: http://www.multiupload.nl/DR1H5MJYPU
  • Google apps: http://www.multiupload.nl/JW3H8CUPNB

Features
    • Eco Wallpapers
    • Automatic retrieval of Mms contents (for people without data plans)
    • Fast transitions and animations
    • Launcher Pro

More info

[*]Changelog (2nd post)

[*]FAQ's and Suggested tweaks (3rd post)

Whoa, nice build. :)

Looks like a babe and made for minimum drain of battery. I'll be running this on loop to check it out. :)

Are you using latest sources or previous sources for wifi on this one? I've found that people who have gen1's and 2's do better with the older wifi drivers while gen3's do better with the newest ones.

Guest jventura

Whoa, nice build. :)

Looks like a babe and made for minimum drain of battery. I'll be running this on loop to check it out. :)

Are you using latest sources or previous sources for wifi on this one? I've found that people who have gen1's and 2's do better with the older wifi drivers while gen3's do better with the newest ones.

Hi Snap,

Since I lost track of the location of the proprietary blobs tailored for cm7 (they were in someone's github), I had to took the blobs out of the latest cm7 nightly build. So, I don't know what blobs they are, but they are working fine in my original Gen1 tpt'd-to Gen2.. :)

Guest judas1977

Nice - i did it by myself after installation on new rom (i mean deleting unused system apps etc.,) and... I wanted to test latest nightly build (11.11.2012), because of that nice feature: Port "Strip Unicode" feature from ICS branch into GB.

Is this feature present in your rom (altough i think it's a matter of switching mms.apk anyway)?

Because up to date i had to put mms.apk from one guy from xda, wchich makes exactly the same thing, but i suppose that now there will be an option in mms/sms setup...

Guest Snap.IT

Hi Snap,

Since I lost track of the location of the proprietary blobs tailored for cm7 (they were in someone's github), I had to took the blobs out of the latest cm7 nightly build. So, I don't know what blobs they are, but they are working fine in my original Gen1 tpt'd-to Gen2.. :)

Same as i am using with great battery life on Mokee then. I don't actually have a source for the older drivers either anymore so i just use latest too. :)

I just compiled the wifi against kernel using the same cnfg as i used for the kernel (TomG config, i get bored changing it every time) so it's the same as you are using.

Guest jventura

Nice - i did it by myself after installation on new rom (i mean deleting unused system apps etc.,) and... I wanted to test latest nightly build (11.11.2012), because of that nice feature: Port "Strip Unicode" feature from ICS branch into GB.

Is this feature present in your rom (altough i think it's a matter of switching mms.apk anyway)?

Because up to date i had to put mms.apk from one guy from xda, wchich makes exactly the same thing, but i suppose that now there will be an option in mms/sms setup...

Yeap, that feature is in, I've seen it there.. :) It is an option in the mms application settings..

And it also includes my mms auto-retrieval patch, which is essential for those who do not have data connections on, so they can receive/send mms without having to switch data connection on (and pay for it). MMs Auto-retrieval is enabled by default, but can be disabled in Mms application settings..

Edited by jventura

Guest Snap.IT

Yeap, that feature is in, I've seen it there.. :) It is an option in the mms application settings..

And it also includes my mms auto-retrieval patch, which is essential for those who do not have data connections on, so they can receive/send mms without having to switch data connection on (and pay for it). MMs Auto-retrieval is enabled by default, but can be disabled in Mms application settings..

Nice work with the MMS commit, while i don't use it i've noticed that a lot of people do. :)

Guest jventura

Nice work with the MMS commit, while i don't use it i've noticed that a lot of people do. :)

Thanks! :)

In ICS and JB, unfortunately, the lack of mms auto-retrieval causes battery drainage for all users when data connection is off, even for AOSP users. Users of Samsung phones blame Samsung, users of LG phones blame LG, but it was an error introduced by the google developers when they moved some things on the framework and forget to update the mms app to reflect those changes.. They should ease on innovation and start on the maintenance part, IMHO.. :)

By the way, I was reading your post on Mokee which you say that you compiled latest CM kernel with TomG configurations. From which cm did you took the kernel?

Guest jventura

You should probably submit the patch to AOSP.

If it is not solved in 4.2, I'm considering submitting the patches. I would do it now, but I still have to download AOSP source code.. :wacko:

I think I'll wait for Android 4.2 to be out.. :D

Guest dhoomktoo1

@jventura I am currently running targetbsp's latest cm7.2 build. just wonder if I can just install this rom on that without the usual wipes.? would save me a lot of config / app reinstall time. thanks for your help

@jventura I am currently running targetbsp's latest cm7.2 build. just wonder if I can just install this rom on that without the usual wipes.? would save me a lot of config / app reinstall time. thanks for your help

not sure what would be the point if you aren't resizing partitions, or can you now resize e.g from 160mb system to 120mb system without losing any data?

Guest killer99

okee the rom is only 60mb with market already included

uploading right now

It should run on a minimum of 95mb stystem partition

Edited by killer99