Xolo Software update Available

Guest schkinx

Guest Simon O

Well nothing bad will happen.. unlike me when I flashed a test rom and bricked my phone. Oh if I only waited a few weeks I could had got the update without worry :P

Guest schkinx

updating .. and .. and .. done :)

can anyone else confirm adobe flash is no longer available after the update ?

not visible on market :wacko:

Edited by schkinx

Guest schkinx

if you had root before, could you open superuser if it's still there and check it's installed correctly please. Just want to know if it still works.

Nope... Superuser has gone. Although i did a fresh install of ICS to try out the update , thats wiped it no doubt

And when the update ran it said updating 62 apps .. dont ask me which one :P

Edited by schkinx

I rooted before the update and it still was all gone when I booted

I noticed a libBBC.so :)

Could you check and see if media player and abode air now work

Edited by Guest

Guest technomole

Just tried bbc media player, got package file is invalid when it tried to install, same error fo adobe air ...

Guest Simon O

libbcc you mean and it's an Android bitcode compiler.

Guest Simon O

Might as well mention the changes which are mostly the same as I've seen in test roms:

Google Chrome x86 now pre-installed

Face Unlock now native x86 code for better performance

Updates to the Java virtual machine subsystem - unknown what changes though

Bookmark sync for both Chrome and the stock Android browser

Updates to Webcore and Stagefright libs. Most likely bug fixes.

System apps and framework files updated

So really a bit meh in terms of updates. Obviously just a load of bug fixing with the side effect of breaking the root exploit.

BTW I bet root has been lost due to permissions being altered. Nothing in the scripts is deleting Superuser unless the boot.img has been updated to delete the apk on boot?

If it is then there are ways around that.. renaming the superuser apk and installing the su binary somewhere else then symlinking. In theory anyway.. may need to speak to ChainsDD about this.. (the Superuser guy)

Guest Simon O

Like this you mean

set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/xbin

Yep. Superuser uses 06755 permissions so the script is changing this. Something like an OTA root keeper app would probably resolve this as it'll move the superuser binary somewhere else on the system but keeping it's permissions so it can be run again after update and moved back to it's original postition.

So that would be: Xolo ICS update > Root > OTA rootkeeper > update OTA > OTA rootkeeper restore.. and fingers crossed you still have working superuser.

The exploit that allowed you to install superuser in the first place will have gone but you should - in theory - still have working superuser so you still have root. And the insecure ADB app will still work.

Means faffing around though. I'd love to do it myself but.. grrr Orange y u slow at repairing. :(

Guest BlueMoonRising

Why there is no root of new update.I have updated.what to do?

Unless you can flash the original Xolo ICS zip back then you're just going to have to be patient.

Guest Simon O

Well it's mainly security updates in the new update OTA. Oh and the inclusion of Chrome (which you can get from the Play Store) and native Intel libs for Face Unlock to make things quicker (never used it anyway).

The only interesting things would be to see if they fixed whatever problem Social Gallery had that was causing such high battery usage.

Still, it's rather impressive that updates are being pushed out for the device even if they are small. We know Intel have Jelly Bean running on these devices so fingers crossed that Xolo or even Orange decide to give us a nice Christmas gift.

Still, it's rather impressive that updates are being pushed out for the device even if they are small. We know Intel have Jelly Bean running on these devices so fingers crossed that Xolo or even Orange decide to give us a nice Christmas gift.

It was mentioned on another thread that it would be "before the end of the year", so fingers crossed you are right...

Then again, we have seen deadlines come and go before...

Edited by Ribs85

It was mentioned on another thread that it would be "before the end of the year", so fingers crossed you are right...

Then again, we have seen deadlines come and go before...

Could you tell me what thread was that?

Guest i am not a hacker

Yeah I allready looked around but didn't find it. Where is this information coming from? Orange, lava?

It was a tweet from lava I believe. I will look for it now

Guest i am not a hacker

I haven't heard anything but I expect to see an update from Xolo first. Intel ported JB not long after the source was made available and I did read somewhere that they have updated to 4.1.1 - possibly even 4.1.2 now since the changes are minimal. Because Intel push a lot of it's own code upstream this has the benefit that the Android on our devices is basically AOSP (Android Open Source Platform). In theory if we had fully unlocked devices we could download and build the entire OS from source. Infact, Motorola have published all it's changes for the RAZRi as it's slightly different from the reference platform and these changes are made to be pasted over a download of ICS 4.0.4 from AOSP.

So yes to Jelly Bean. Who knows about anything else (4.2, 5.0 etc). depends on Intel.

BTW for those interested.. the kernel on our phones is almost stock code. Which is nice if we ever got the ability to unlock the bootloader to allow us to use our own kernels

That is a quote from flibblesan

I was in an Orange store this after noon to check the device out and they had some guy from Intel (or so he claimed) demoing the device, I asked him about the fact the orane magazine and website says it take micro SD, he said it was an error and there was no SD slot.

I also asked about ICS and he claimed to have another device with it a beta of it running on its he also claimed that Jelly Bean would be ported to it eventualy..

I'm not sure you can count this as reliable info but it was interesting...

Also, it's a lot more plasticky than i'd of liked for £200

That was quote from Sebastian404

Those two people are reliable so they won't be joking

Ok thank you for this mate! So it's pretty sure that we will get jelly bean. People mention "before the end of the year" do you have any information about where people got this information?