How to downgrade from B952 to GB

Guest vhristenco

Guest vhristenco

Actually that's the default Android GB Lockscreen (google "android default lockscreen" for images and see for yourself)

Vodafone, among other apps, installed a new lockscreen called "PotterUnlock". The one with 4 directions (camera, messages, etc). Also, they disabled "Home settings" in the menu.

You can always revert to stock unlocker anytime. Also, if you delete one single file, you'll revert to default boot-screen animation.

Anyway, I don't think it's related to your problem.

Most likely, the apps you restored from an ICS backup are causing the trouble. That's why I said NEVER restore apps from ICS to GB. Consider yourself lucky if your phone started-up after you did that :)

Edited by vhristenco

Guest pen69mod

Fair enough. I accept I was being dumb about the lock-screen. Because I had Vodafone branded GB before installing unbranded ICS, I have never seen the default Android lock-screen. :unsure:

Anyway I used the "middle package" from the Huawei site, included in their downgrade instructions for ICS versions B936 & B937 only, and it completed really quick. (remember that I was on B952, which is why I didn't take that option initially.)

So I went ahead and used their ICS to GB downgrade file, and everything worked very smoothly.

Wifi is working as it should, which is a big relief. :)

But now there is a different issue. A BIG ISSUE!

I cannot restore my IMEI, which is obviously crucial.

I’m at Step 6, where I launch GingerbreadRoot.exe.

It goes through the process as it should, although when it successfully reaches the end and says that the phone will reboot, it just stays on, with the Huawei logo on screen. I believe it done this on all occasions for me, but on this occasion I'm not getting the SuperSu app installed.

So I pull battery, start phone, go in and launch ToolBox5iromV1.0.4.2.apk and press Backup IMEI, and it says No Root Privileges, which is fair enough because I cannot see the SuperSu app in the app drawer.

I have my IMEI files (5irom) backed up and ready to go.

What do you think? How do I get the SuperSu app on the phone. I thought that launching GingerbreadRoot should install it.

How do I get my IMEI back on the phone.

Thanks man.

Guest vhristenco

Shutdown the phone, remove the battery, wait for 3 seconds, re-inser the battery then power the phone while keeping Volume UP pressed. It will take you to recovery.

From recovery, select "Reboot system". That will give you SuperSu.

EDIT: Or try the method explined HERE

Edited by vhristenco

Guest pen69mod

Hey, thanks vhristenco.

Your method above worked, and I am back on GB. With wifi. Woohoo. Yessssss!! :)

I have to work out how to get all my apps back on, without using the HiSuite backups, but that can wait for now. I'm just chuffed that the phone is working again.

I must admit, when I signed into google play, I was expecting to see a list of all the free apps i've downloaded ready to be downloaded again, but I can't see any.

But now the phone is sorted, I can work on that in my own time. No rush.

Although I'm still definitely a novice, I think I've picked up some good experience during this upgrade/downgrade.

Thanks again man. ;)

Pen.

Guest vhristenco

You're welcome!

P.S. 1: you'll see that list only after you update Google Play on your phone (launch it and it will automatically update)

P.S. 2.: you can always sign in to google play from your pc and reinstall previously used apps with just a few clicks ;)

Enjoy!

Edited by vhristenco

Guest pen69mod

Ah one more question, or two.

Has this downgrade left my phone "rooted", and should I leave that SuperSu app on the phone

What does rooted actually mean, and what advantages/disadvantages does that bring?

And if I found that for some reason that I wanted or needed to change that status back to "unrooted", could it be done & how would I do that?

Ok, that was 3 questions. :P

Well I need to take a nap after all that.

Have a good day man.

Guest vhristenco

After flashing B895, the phone became un-rooted. To root it see step 6.

Rooting will give you full permissions for all the system files (you'll be able to install/uninstall system apps, change system apps, etc.

SuperSu has an option to revert to stock (remove root) that.you might to check out (or not).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blackanchorage

Excellent description, no problems downgrading. I found ICS to be really slow. I had the same problem in step 6 (phone did not reboot) but rebooting into recovery made it ok.

Thank you!

EDIT: I spoke too soon, after a couple of OTA updates, I too lost wi-fi.

Edited by blackanchorage

Guest blackanchorage

UK. I have repeated the process, this time going straight to B895 in step 5, and it looks good now.

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Caskarut

Is there a changelog for the gb versions? I have no idea where the low volume issue is fixed. I have both low volume during incoming calls und a low mic...

• 5 weeks later...
Guest goodster

Hi,

First thanks for the great instructions, I've managed to downgrade fine, although now I can't connect to my network 'giffgaff'.

Would this possibly be because I'm now locked on Vodaphone? or perhaps something else I've done wrong?

many thanks

Guest vhristenco

Hi there,

You did an IMEI Restore after downgrading, didn't you?

The only reason I see for not connecting to the mobile network is that you have a "0" IMEI (the GB rom I posted is not locked to any provider).

@dalyer: see the Final Note of the first post.

OK - thanks - missed that! :blush:

But my understanding is that any procedure that requires the IMEI to be changed/zeroized involves significant risk of problems even after restoring the original IMEI?

Edited by dalyer

Guest vhristenco

The only risk is that you lose the backup and cannot restore IMEI.

After restoring IMEI, an official rom flash will make your phone as it was never rooted/upgraded/customized (and you won't lose warranty).

Hello!

One hour ago I started the tutorial, all was perfect until Step 6. Here, when I try to root GB, when I launch GingerbreadRoot.exe, the program starts but it is saying "waiting for device". It seems like it can't actually "see" the phone. At step 1, rooting was perfect, 5 or 6 lines of text were written. But here, at step 6, it does nothing. Until step 6 everything was exactly as you said it will be and nothing was weird. Seeing it can't root my GB, I tried restarting, retick the USB Debugging mode, Unknown Source also. I even tried to restart step 6. The same thing appears: Root in progress... < waiting for device >. When I hit close, it says "Done. Return to guide and follow the instructions. I tried to go on to step 7, but when i want to backup IMEI, it says to check root privileges. So it's clear, rooting wasn't done. I use the same USB cable, the same USB port, the same computer, the same windows installation, my phone is visible from windows exactly the same it was at step 1. Why can't I root GB now? Any idea? Please.....

Guest vhristenco

Step 6 says: "power off the phone, remove battery, re-insert battery, power on the phone WHILE HOLDING VOLUME-DOWN pressed".

On ICS, simply running the script will do, on GB you must apply the above procedure.

As you said, "some people are having trouble upgrading via OTA to B895". I am one of them. I want tot complete Step 8 too. I have to repeat stept 5 and 6, flashing the B895 at step 5 instead of B892. The big question: step 7 isn't necessary?

Later edit: I started step 8 and when i rerun step 5 with B895, it got stuck at the pink bar at 1/3. Removed the battery and turned on the device. It looks ok with the B882 (still). It will work ok? I wouldn't start over again from Step 1. Moreover, can I try egain Step 8 without going through 1-7 steps? I mean simply retrying Step 5 with B895.

Edited by ghini