Huawei Y300 £60 + £10 topup at Carphone Warhouse 6th June

Guest KenBW2

Guest Pierreism

Yeah I bought one in-store, got it right away, ordered another online on the 6th--the day of release--and it still hasn't been dispatched...

Guest tooplanx

Yeah I bought one in-store, got it right away, ordered another online on the 6th--the day of release--and it still hasn't been dispatched...

Did you manage to buy the one online as an upgrade? Or was it just a new payg purchase? I'm just wondering if 'upgrade' purchases are at all possible online..?

Guest Pierreism

Yes the one I ordered was an upgrade, requiring no £10 top-up. But like I said my payment stiil hasn't been processed! I'd buy it at a store if you can.

Guest tooplanx

Unfortunately (fortunately?) my mum doesn't live nearby so I don't actually physically have her sim card. I presume if I went in to the store to do it they'd expect to see the sim card or have my mum there to go through the process with.

I've got all the sim details written down and now have the code sent from carphone warehouse, but it won't let me do anything on the website.

P.S. Thanks for replying and clarifying.

Edited by tooplanx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Reider59

I got the Y300 for £59.99 online as an upgrade on my SFII from CPW Friday 28th, ordered it Tuesday. Put my normal 02 card in from the other phone, loving it, even better with my old Nemus Launcher on from my San Francisco II (ZTE). Bootup is quick, found the net strangely slow until I added the Mac Id to my router, D'oh! One of our CPW shops is now showing amber stock same day as mine was due for free delivery.

Edit: Now unlocked and rooted, 5 different email adresses and finally one hit paydirt, the rest got wrong details but all had the same details and one even had 2 pics enclosed. I used http://huawei-y300.t...ascend-y300-all for the unlock info and root + downloads. Mine is the Huawei Y300-0100 (U8833) - WCDMA International version. Touch also worked perfectly, that's where I thought the problems may be.

Edited by Reider59

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jonmac73

Hi all, looking to move from ZTE Blade (CM10) to Y300 - is it real-world a big improvement ?

Is the bigger screen & res. better for viewing on.

Camera any good ?

Games OK (Temple run etc. nothing too taxing)

Thanks in advance

Guest jackosterman

I haven't owned but have mucked around a Blade (if you mean the one from a couple years ago). I'd wager it's an improvement; nothing groundbreaking but a solid phone. I'm personally most impressed with the display quality. I'm fairly satisfied with the camera as well, although the flash tends to add an unfortunate yellow hue over nightshots (I believe this was corrected with the G510). The photo quality is otherwise crisp, at the default resolutions.

I don't play games outside of Angry Birds, but the processor seems to handle streaming 720p movies over LAN well enough (not that I find myself doing that much). My only major gripe is that the 512MB of RAM bottlenecks pretty quickly. Individual tasks are smooth, but multitasking (say, opening several tabs with Boat Browser Mini while listening to music) can get JB to start killing off tasks rather wantonly. Avast is always the first to go, incidentally. But of course, other setups may differ; I'm still using the stock B174 ROM. I believe the Blade had the same memory, although I don't know how CM10 handled it.

Edited by jackosterman

Guest jonmac73

Thanks for responses - yes concerned over 512 RAM (same as Blade) but am not intensive user so may be OK for me. Very tempted - either this or cheap chinese import with bigger screen.

Guest KenBW2

As a former Blade owner myself, it's night and day. The Blade, although it was an amazing phone for the last 2 years or so is definitely struggling now. When I picked up and used my Y300 I was blown away - all the waiting for apps to load is gone, none of the "oh I'm running X in the background, now the CPU is struggling" etc. And those things you've resigned yourself to "meh that won't work ever again" like Bluetooth on 4.2, FM Radio, sketchy Wifi, the Swypey keyboard, stability? Yea you get all those back. I first got the G510 but I missed the Blade's handy screen size, the Y300 is a great compromise. You'd be stupid not to go for the Y300 if you're looking to upgrade from the Blade.

The RAM is a problem, but it's the only one. You'll find apps are killed off just as quickly as they are on the Blade, but the CPU makes up for that when they're relaunched.

Hope that helps

Guest jonmac73

Thanks Ken - is the 4" screen a decent improvement over Blade 3.5 ?. The 510 does sound bigger but sounds like real-world Y300 screen size is better.

Guest KenBW2

Thanks Ken - is the 4" screen a decent improvement over Blade 3.5 ?. The 510 does sound bigger but sounds like real-world Y300 screen size is better.

Yea it definitely feels roomier. I found with the G510 I had difficulty reaching around the whole thing while holding the phone securely, 4" seems the perfect combination.

Guest Reider59

I had the San Francisco II, actually still got it in a drawer. Fantastic phone and it fitted like a glove once I got the FnC ROM on it, found 6 better than 7 for me personally. I never felt completely dressed unless I had that phone in my pocket as I went anywhere. Often picking it up to just look at it in awe, something I never did with other phones. Even as it approached 2 years old I felt the same but it had constant power problems and a replacement had to be found.

Luckily the Y300 came on the scene and I just could not turn it down. It's heads n shoulders above my beloved SFII and I look at it the same way as my SFII as well. It has more power with the dual core, bigger screen and now I changed the launcher it's like having the SF II again but after an upgrade. Well I did buy it as an upgrade anyway. Never looked back since I got it and would do the same again. Holds the battery power well for me too.

• 4 months later...