Acer Liquid E2 Duo - Dual SIM Quad Core for under £180?

Guest Maximus9

Guest LeWill
I am looking at the 'Storage' option in the settings menu right now - At the top it says 'Preferred install location...', 'Default Write Disk' and the choice is 'Phone Storage' or 'SD card', I have 'SD card' selected (though I only selected this after installing most of my usual apps), further down the same page is a section labeled 'SD Card' showing 'Total space 7.48GB' (I have an 8GB card installed). Are you saying it isn't really going to use the SD card to install?

Very misleading if it isn't really installing to the (external) SD card.

Still on day 1 but really liking this phone though.

It is misleading. If you use file manager and browse the phone storage you will find the apps there. If you browse the SD card you will find no apps.

I'm almost at the end of the 2nd week of ownership and really like this phone. Accessories are a bit difficult to come across, but I picked up a leather case from Tesco (for S3 but same size) and some screen protectors from Amazon (about £5 for 6).

Guest Al_1604

Thanks for clarifying about the storage.

I guess when '3' start selling it (single SIM version I assume) then we can expect to see accessories appear.

Guest LeWill

In one of the Android magazines this phone won the group test it was in. What I can't understand is that they thought the screen was the worst of the bunch, even though it had the joint highest resolution and highest ppi!

Hopefully this will encourage more people to get the phone which will result in more and better updates.

Guest Maximus9

About navigation, I am using TomTom as well on this phone, and working just fine.

About the internal memory problem:

There were a few posts on French forums including by one guy who is reading this thread about an imminent update from Acer to be released before the end of the month. I doubted it because nobody can actually know if and when they will release an update, and now the month is almost over. However, I would encourage everybody writing to Acer support (create an Acer ID, register your product and contact them!) and on their Facebook/Twitter pages, they will be forced to take some action soon or at least let us know they are useless and incapable of solving this.

If 10 of us send them emails/twits, I bet we will get some sort of response.

Guest Maximus9

According to a message posted by Acer it should take a couple of weeks for the update to roll out.

Thank you! Can you post a link to the message? Maybe publishing ways to talk to them would push people report bugs and then push Acer to release new updates.

From my understanding, the Auto screen brightness problem is still not solved and probably others as well.

We really need to push them more... people pressure :)

Guest Al_1604

Here's a link (with another link...) http://community.ace...-p/109497#M1267

Here too: https://www.facebook...07191210&type=1

Based on your feedback, we are happy to announce the Liquid E2 update for "move-to-SD" feature has been developed, tested, approved, and is ready to hit your Liquid E2 and Liquid E2 Duo as of today. The update will roll out in the next two weeks.

You also have a problem with Auto brightness? - I was wondering if it was just mine (brightness varies a LOT) - not a big issue for me but would be nice if it could be fixed.

Edited by Al_1604

Guest LeWill

You also have a problem with Auto brightness? - I was wondering if it was just mine (brightness varies a LOT) - not a big issue for me but would be nice if it could be fixed.

I have this too! Only noticeable when browsing web sites and nothing that really bothers me. Glad it isn't just me.

Guest Chris Johnston

Received 4.2.2 as well, the move apps to sd card is now enabled so no more storage problems.

Overall, feels a bit smoother.

Guest Maximus9

Received 4.2.2 as well, the move apps to sd card is now enabled so no more storage problems.

Overall, feels a bit smoother.

It is offered on mine as well, but I need to clarify something first, could someone explain the process:

1) Is the upgrade deleting data and installed apps?

2) Since the apps where already installed in the internal memory, is it possible to move them to SD card after the upgrade without reinstalling them?

I am hoping to do the update without having to reinstall everything. I made a backup with Helium, data and apps, just in case.

Regarding the phone in general, gotta say mine developed a fault, part of the right edge of the touchscreen is no longer working. Can still use the phone, but cannot press P and send on the keyboard on portrait mode.

Guest LeWill

Upgrade does not delete data or apps. Preinstalled apps can't be moved, but any you've installed yourself can be moved to internal storage and then to the SD card. You will need to set the install to SD card in the options first though (seems you need to set it to phone storage or SD, you can't choose at time of moving).

Anyone noticed any other changes in this update? Auto brightness isn't fixed, but when you receive a call, you can now have notification that overlays the screen as a banner rather than taking up the whole screen. Hopefully this update also fixes the lock up problem, but time will tell....

Guest Maximus9

Upgrade does not delete data or apps. Preinstalled apps can't be moved, but any you've installed yourself can be moved to internal storage and then to the SD card. You will need to set the install to SD card in the options first though (seems you need to set it to phone storage or SD, you can't choose at time of moving).

Anyone noticed any other changes in this update? Auto brightness isn't fixed, but when you receive a call, you can now have notification that overlays the screen as a banner rather than taking up the whole screen. Hopefully this update also fixes the lock up problem, but time will tell....

Thanks for the reply.

What lock up problem?

Guest Maximus9

I tried to update, although they say it is just a 25MB update, I got an error that I do not have 100MB free to update.

Kind of annoying, what where they thinking when they released this phone for sale without the possibility to install on SD card, I have no games, kept apps to a minimum, and is all full.

I guess the update only wants to download on the Internal storage, as the Phone Storage (which would be the "internal sd card") has plenty of space.

Looking at the apps I could uninstall, TouchPal keyboard uses 17MB, but Google Keyboard uses 31MB, although I would say Touchpal Keyboard is 20 times better and more feature rich than Google Keyboard.

Google+ it's another 25MB, for an app I never used and never will.

Edited by Maximus9

Guest LeWill

The lock up problem is where the phone locks up and you need to reset by removing the battery. As for your space problems, do you have no apps installed to the internal storage space that you can move to the phone's storage space?

Edited by LeWill

Guest Maximus9

The lock up problem is where the phone locks up and you need to reset by removing the battery. As for your space problems, do you have no apps installed to the internal storage space that you can move to the phone's storage space?

Never had the lock up problem myself.

Thanks, I must say I did not think of that (moving to Phone Storage). Very confusing, Internal Storage, Phone Storage etc...

Guest Maximus9

Ok, so the update is actually downloaded on the external SD card and is only probably being extracted to the Internal Storage.

However, now I do have 100MB free, but get an Update Failed message.

I had the same problem with the first OTA update they offered (018), solved by replacing the SD card. I think that something might be wrong with my Internal Storage memory though, can't see why the SD card would be broken again.

I had my share of problems with this phone. I need to send it back anyway for the display issue, will see how Expansys/Acer will handle the return process... I bet it will be long and painful.

Guest Chris Johnston

Here's some interesting news, the guy on this site http://www.jfdesignnet.com/ has some custom roms for the Liquid E2,

also he has a repartition mod to enlarge the internal storage to 2Gb for his roms.

His 4.2.2 mod may interest some as it includes a GPS tweak as some users have been complaining about the phones GPS reliability.

I haven't tried the mods myself, as I'm happy with the phone as it is for now, but may give it a go later.

No feedback on his site, so I don't know how reliable these downloads are !!