Does anyone who has tried iOS think Android is acceptable?

Guest Confucious

Guest hecatae

AirDrop is peer to peer technology; do you really think Apple engineers would be so stupid as to implement a file transfer technology between mobile devices, that depended on you having a router/AP to make use of it? That's the kind of stupidity of design I would expect as a given from other vendors, but AirDrop is peer to peer, you can take my word for that, and if you can't, here's further proof:

cheers glossywhite, I always wondered what Apple would call Near Field Communication or NFC for short.

Guest anotherjib

Apple don't need "a chance" - Apple defined the smartphone space - iPhone is THE gold standard; they made it what it is - they don't play catch up, they've no need to - people who buy iPhones buy iPhones, and Apple don't really pay much attention to people who don't buy them - that's just another distraction which they shouldn't have to care about, nor do they.

Consider this: an iPhone owner depends on Apple much more than an Android owner on Google or on the device manufacturer or on any other company.

Guest MJonMoDaCo

Apple don't need "a chance" - Apple defined the smartphone space - iPhone is THE gold standard; they made it what it is - they don't play catch up, they've no need to - people who buy iPhones buy iPhones, and Apple don't really pay much attention to people who don't buy them - that's just another distraction which they shouldn't have to care about, nor do they.

Even if Apple didn't release a larger iPhone, which it now seems to appear that they will, they'll still sell boatloads of the current models, and not even care about grabbing market share - they're about focusing intensely on a few core products and making them a beautiful, elegant and intuitive experience, not shipping billions of mediocre, rushed-out models that satisfy people who wouldn't know a decent UX from a cheeseburger.

Well actually, iOS8 is that chance I am talking about.

Guest glossywhite

Consider this: an iPhone owner depends on Apple much more than an Android owner on Google or on the device manufacturer or on any other company.

This comment is too vague to make sense of.

Guest anotherjib

This comment is too vague to make sense of.

I don't think anybody who has had an iphone and an android (like me) needs any explanations. To give just one example - some time ago Microsoft was punished for attempting to hardwire its browser to its os (and rightly so). Now tell me - have you tried to exchange any media files between an iphone and anything else without installing a hundred megs of apple software on the other end? I could not even transfer a single file with bluetooth. And there were lots of such barriers.

Edited by anotherjib

Guest glossywhite

I don't think anybody who has had an iphone and an android (like me) needs any explanations. To give just one example - some time ago Microsoft was punished for attempting to hardwire its browser to its os (and rightly so). Now tell me - have you tried to exchange any media files between an iphone and anything else without installing a hundred megs of apple software on the other end? I could not even transfer a single file with bluetooth. And there were lots of such barriers.

iOS is so popular and legendarily simple because Apple engineers have decided what works most optimally for any given interaction, so the user isn't faced with ambiguous, confusing choices, the likes of which will put them off the phone. Yes, it is not drastically HARD to work out what you need to do, but it's KNOWING what all these choices (handlers) MEAN that is the barrier to seamless usability - some people just haven't the time OR the inclination to want to learn these things, and why should they?

Apple understand human emotion and interaction like no other company I know - that's why iPhone is SUCH a success. Don't ever fall into the trap of assuming everyone has the knowledge which you have; assumption IS the mother of all screw ups, it's not just a cliche. If you want a good product to become raved about, you don't force the user to have to make choices which the designer was paid to make in the most efficient way FOR the users.

Android is fantastic - my main phone is a Moto G, but I am not arrogant enough to assume that Apple HAVE to make iOS as potentially confusing as Android can be (and it is), just because Google/OEMs choose that methodology - Apple don't have to do ANYTHING.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest anotherjib

iOS is so popular and legendarily simple because Apple engineers have decided what works most optimally for any given interaction, so the user isn't faced with ambiguous, confusing choices, the likes of which will put them off the phone.

Optimally in what sense? In what sense is it optimal that in order to transfer a ringtone from my pc to my iphone I have to install on the former itunes and accept having a bunch of background processes like bonjour and Apple software updater?

Yes, it is not drastically HARD to work out what you need to do, but it's KNOWING what all these choices (handlers) MEAN that is the barrier to seamless usability - some people just haven't the time OR the inclination to want to learn these things, and why should they?

Some other people, you know, prefer to judge by themselves what is optimal and what not, and for that they want to be able to compare.

Apple understand human emotion and interaction like no other company I know - that's why iPhone is SUCH a success. Don't ever fall into the trap of assuming everyone has the knowledge which you have; assumption IS the mother of all screw ups, it's not just a cliche.

Where did I assume this? It is precisely ignorance which makes total dependence on Apple such an attractive feature. The point is precisely that most users gladly accept that Apple decides what is good for them, and are even ready to pay much more than to any other company for that.

But why does this contradict my claim? It was that they depend on Apple much more than Android users on any company. The fact that they are eager to depend on it does not make them independent.

If you want a good product to become raved about, you don't force the user to have to make choices which the designer was paid to make in the most efficient way FOR the users.

Nobody has to make choices. Yo buy a working product and you may use it for the rest of your life without having to modify anything.

Android is fantastic - my main phone is a Moto G, but I am not arrogant enough to assume that Apple HAVE to make iOS as potentially confusing as Android can be (and it is), just because Google/OEMs choose that methodology - Apple don't have to do ANYTHING.

I never claimed they have to do anything. My only point was that their strategy is based on making users dependent on them. This is a very successful strategy.

And let me add one thing. If you are replying to my posts, please reply to them. You never touched upon what I said, you moved somewhere else totally ignoring my argument.

Guest glossywhite

Optimally in what sense? In what sense is it optimal that in order to transfer a ringtone from my pc to my iphone I have to install on the former itunes and accept having a bunch of background processes like bonjour and Apple software updater?

Some other people, you know, prefer to judge by themselves what is optimal and what not, and for that they want to be able to compare.

Where did I assume this? It is precisely ignorance which makes total dependence on Apple such an attractive feature. The point is precisely that most users gladly accept that Apple decides what is good for them, and are even ready to pay much more than to any other company for that.

But why does this contradict my claim? It was that they depend on Apple much more than Android users on any company. The fact that they are eager to depend on it does not make them independent.

Nobody has to make choices. Yo buy a working product and you may use it for the rest of your life without having to modify anything.

I never claimed they have to do anything. My only point was that their strategy is based on making users dependent on them. This is a very successful strategy.

And let me add one thing. If you are replying to my posts, please reply to them. You never touched upon what I said, you moved somewhere else totally ignoring my argument.

Enjoy whatever you use, it means exponential measures less than nothing to me, it's just a phone.

God bless you :)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest anotherjib

Enjoy whatever you use, it means exponential measures less than nothing to me, it's just a phone.

God bless you :)

Sorry then I misunderstood - judging by your posts I thought it meant a lot to you to prove to everybody that Apple's concept of smartphone is the primary and superior one...

God bless you and everybody else too :D

Guest glossywhite

Sorry then I misunderstood - judging by your posts I thought it meant a lot to you to prove to everybody that Apple's concept of smartphone is the primary and superior one...

God bless you and everybody else too :D

Apple don't need my help, but if people ask me, I speak my mind :)

Thanks for blessing me :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest new2city

I would compare iOS vs Android dilemma with the choice between living well fed and cared of in a zoo vs living absolutely free in a jungle completely on your own...

this is a great analogy...[emoji3]