Tesco unveil the £119 Hudl - a low cost, Archos built tablet

Guest Simon O

Tesco have unveiled a brand new £119 budget Android tablet called the Hudl. The device has a 7 inch 1440x900 display and is powered by a Rockchip RK3188 processor backed up with a Mali400 graphics processor.

A bit of investigation shows that the device was developed in cooperation with Archos as the HT7S3 and manufactured in China by Keen High who also produce devices for HP, Microsoft, Nvidia, and Nubi as well as Archos. Early benchmarks have been discovered with the device gaining a score of 67.80 in NenaMark2 along with a fairly reasonable GFXBench comparison between itself and the Nexus 7 (edit 24/09: The benchmarks have been pulled from the website) It would be interesting to see how this device performs out there in the real world with daily use and we hope to get our hands on one fairly soon.

Tesco will make the tablet available in 1,000 stores initially from the 30th September and each store will stock a range of branded accessories such as cases, headphones and a rather useful Nabi-styled bumper case for kids to use.

Posted Image

Specifications:
  • 7" 1440 x 900 HD screen
  • Android Jellybean 4.2.2
  • 16GB storage which can be expanded to 48GB with microSD cards.
  • 1GB RAM
  • Quad-core 1.5GHZ processor
  • 9 hours video battery life (Conditions may vary dependent on video format and content, audio volume, screen brightness and processor load)
  • Micro-HDMI port
  • Bluetooth 4.0, GPS
  • Dual band Wi-Fi for a more stable connection
  • Access to over a million apps via Google Play™
  • Comes in 4 colours: black, blue, red, purple
  • Wi-Fi only
  • Sleek, high-quality design, with a durable, matte, soft-touch back for better grip
  • Scratch resistant touch screen
  • 'Getting started' app that offers tips and guidance
The Hudl will be available to buy in-store from the 30th September and we expect it to become a big seller due to the low price and fairly decent specifications. Do you plan on buying one yourself? Let us know in the comments!

More info: Tesco.com/hudl

This item has been updated since publication to include additional information

Press release:

Spoiler

Click here to view the item

We don't actually have a device ourselves yet and Tesco are being oddly quiet regarding the RAM size but we expect it to be either 1GB or 2GB because of the CPU used.

Update: A user on hotukdeals reports that it has 1GB RAM. I'm trying to confirm this :)

Guest everett_psycho

I'd suspect at that price it's only 1gb of ram, would explain the lack lustre performance being reported if it is. Still £120 for a quad core tablet, I can see this selling quite well to parents in time for Christmas

Just updated the article to add that it does indeed have 1GB of RAM. The tablet was produced in cooperation with Archos (which helps with the Google certification) and is manufactured in China by Keen High who also manufacture devices for several other big brands including Archos. 

Guest Anil K Solanki

Excellent news. I always prefer to buy pure Nexus devices, but these specs, at this price point , from a Giant retailer is nothing but good news for Android.

Retarded name but the RK3188 is a reasonable performer (although the Mali 400 is getting a bit long in the tooth) and the resolution is pretty good. If it does actually manage 9 hrs and isn't too buggy it looks like a decent low budget option. I read somewhere it includes GPS too which is a touch...For £120 cant really say much, probably get better support than most chinese tabs aswell

Guest everett_psycho

Excellent news. I always prefer to buy pure Nexus devices, but these specs, at this price point , from a Giant retailer is nothing but good news for Android.

It is largely stock, other than the tesco bloat and the T shortcut on the bar it is plastic android. Really is a steal if you shop in tesco week in week out anyway, £60 of club card vouchers is achievable, much worse things you could spends the points on once you have them

Guest jusumgeezer

I have the Tesco Hudl Tablet in hand. Most of the info is already out there spec wise, but If you require any more info regarding a certain apps performance in use, benchmarks, camera samples etc. then ask here & I'll try to reply as best I can.

First impressions: design wise it's like a kindle fire clone, even down to the button placement & back design.

What I was surprised at: spec is better than I thought it would be, SD card slot & HDMI out.

Software is very much stock Android with a few Tesco apps installed which can be disabled, we have been told that little [T] logo for the tesco launcher can be removed too, but I can't see where.

Guest PaulOBrien

I have the Tesco Hudl Tablet in hand. Most of the info is already out there spec wise, but If you require any more info regarding a certain apps performance in use, benchmarks, camera samples etc. then ask here & I'll try to reply as best I can.

First impressions: design wise it's like a kindle fire clone, even down to the button placement & back design.

What I was surprised at: spec is better than I thought it would be, SD card slot & HDMI out.

Software is very much stock Android with a few Tesco apps installed which can be disabled, we have been told that little [T] logo for the tesco launcher can be removed too, but I can't see where.

Where did you buy it and can you confirm the CPU?

P

Guest jusumgeezer

Hi paul,

The first part of your question I answered via P.M.

for the second part, do you have a prefered method to check this info? Here is the info from system info droid app:

Report generated with System Info Droid. Download the Android App at Google Play.

SUMMARY

Device: Tesco Hudl HT7S3
Android: 4.2.2
CPU Max Frequency: 1608 Mhz
CPU Cores: 4
GPU: ARM Mali-400 MP
System RAM: 1024 MB
Display: 1440x828 (6.84")

SYSTEM

Model: Hudl HT7S3
Manufacturer: Tesco
Android: 4.2.2
API Level: 17
Kernel: 3.0.36+(20130923.020558)
Compilation: JDQ39.20130923.020558
Uptime: 00:14:23:18

PROCESSOR

Processor: ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
Number of Cores: 4
Max Frequency: 1608 Mhz
Current Frequency: 312 Mhz
CPU Usage: 19.4 %
Instruction Sets: armeabi-v7a, armeabi

GRAPHICS PROCESSING UNIT

General Info:

Model: Mali-400 MP
Vendor: ARM
OpenGL Version: OpenGL ES 2.0

Advanced Info:

Viewport Size: 4096 x 4096
Renderbuffer Size: 4096 x 4096
Cubemap Size: 1024 x 1024
Texture Size: 4096 x 4096
Texture Units: 4096
Vertex Textures: 4096
Combined Textures: 4096
Vertex Attributes: 4096
Vertex Uniforms: 4096
Varying Vectors: 4096
Fragment Uniform Vectors: 4096
Extensions:
GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_OES_byte_coordinates GL_OES_fixed_point GL_OES_single_precision GL_OES_matrix_get GL_OES_read_format GL_OES_compressed_paletted_texture GL_OES_point_size_array GL_OES_point_sprite GL_OES_texture_npot GL_OES_query_matrix GL_OES_matrix_palette GL_OES_extended_matrix_palette GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture GL_OES_EGL_image GL_OES_draw_texture GL_OES_depth_texture GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_OES_framebuffer_object GL_OES_stencil8 GL_OES_depth24 GL_ARM_rgba8 GL_OES_EGL_image_external GL_OES_EGL_sync GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_EXT_multisampled_render_to_texture GL_OES_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_EXT_robustness

MEMORY

System Memory:

Total System RAM: 1024 MB
Free System RAM: 177 MB
Java VM Max Memory: 72 MB

Storage Space:

Internal: 12967 MB (11348 MB Free)
External: 12967 MB (11348 MB Free)

DISPLAY

Resolution: 1440x828
Refresh Rate: 57.53 Hz
Screen Size: 6.84" (17.37 cm)
Pixels Density: 243 ppi
Dots Density: 240 dpi

CAMERA

Back Camera:

Megapixels: 3.1 Megapixels
Max Picture Size: 2048 x 1536
Max Video Size: 1280 x 720
Video Fps Range: 3 to 30
Flash Modes: Not Supported
Max Zoom: 40
Focal Length: 35.0
Horizontal View Angle: 53.0
Vertical View Angle: 42.0
Focus Modes: fixed, auto, continuous-picture
Antibanding Modes: Not Supported
Color Effects: none, negative, sepia, solarize, bluish, green, graycale
Scene Modes: auto, night, sports
White Balance Modes: auto, incandescent, fluorescent, daylight, cloudy-daylight

Front Camera:

Megapixels: 1.9 Megapixels
Max Picture Size: 1600 x 1200
Max Video Size: 800 x 600
Video Fps Range: 3 to 30
Flash Modes: Not Supported
Max Zoom: 40
Focal Length: 35.0
Horizontal View Angle: 53.0
Vertical View Angle: 42.0
Focus Modes: fixed
Antibanding Modes: Not Supported
Color Effects: none, mono, negative, sepia, posterize, aqua
Scene Modes: auto, night
White Balance Modes: auto, incandescent, fluorescent, daylight, cloudy-daylight

TEMPERATURE

System Temp: No sensors avaiable
Battery Temp: 0 ºC (32 ºF)

SENSORS

ST 3-axis Accelerometer

Vendor: STMicroelectronics
Power Consumption: 0.23 mA
Max Range: 19.6133
Resolution: 0.009576807

ST 3-axis Magnetic field sensor

Power Consumption: 6.8 mA
Max Range: 2000.0
Resolution: 0.1

ST 3-axis Gyroscope sensor

Power Consumption: 6.1 mA
Max Range: 34.906586
Resolution: 0.0012217305

Rotation Vector Sensor

Vendor: Google Inc.
Power Consumption: 13.13 mA
Max Range: 1.0
Resolution: 5.9604645E-8

Gravity Sensor

Linear Acceleration Sensor

Orientation Sensor

Max Range: 360.0
Resolution: 0.00390625

Corrected Gyroscope Sensor

Max Range: 34.906586
Resolution: 0.0012217305

Guest jusumgeezer

Stock will be available at 9:00am on monday, there is no pre-order & no reserve system, purely first come first served basis.

Initial allocation is said to be low, 30-60 per store of the black with only a handful of the other colours.  Although some are reporting a total of 20 or less delivered.

Guest jusumgeezer
Guest jusumgeezer

I don't have a HDMI at home, so I will have to add that in tomorrow, kitchen scales need a new battery, but the bathroom ones weigh it at 12.8onz (0.8lbs)

results from CPUz as requested by paul:

http://www.imagebam.com/image/486369278651550

http://www.imagebam.com/image/786993278651563

http://www.imagebam.com/image/c143f0278651569

http://www.imagebam.com/image/9c2a0a278651572

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi All,

As can be seen here: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1727131?hl=en

It shows the official Google Play support under Archos device (as we know from above text, its based around Archos) but already Google Play have it listed... ;) lol

Also, Jusumgeezer would you be able to test the Root availability of it please via this post here... as I am sure it wont be long until someone roots it anyway... ;)

http://www.kingoapp.com/android-root.htm  (as mentioned via another website, not sure if I can reveal names??) but is a universal one click root for all devices.

Would be good to know if we can root this from day one... ;)

Cheers, Lister