Accessing Hudl via Usb

Guest Graham1

Guest Graham1

Hi All

I'm trying to access my Hudl via USB using Ubuntu 13.10. The device isn't even being recognized :(. Do I need to install anything on Ubuntu as usually my devices are picked up automatically. Have also tried with XP SP3 but I'm stuck with the message "Found New Hardware, MTP Device". Anyone have any ideas?

:)

Edited by Graham1

I had a similar problem which was caused by the USB computer connection option on the Hudl the being set to PTP by default rather than MTP (media transfer protocol as opposed to photo transfer). So that I could see the Hudl's camera in Windows explorer (XP SP3) but not the internal storage.

The option to change from PTP to MTP does not appear until you connect the Hudl to a PC (or MAC) via the micro USB port. Even then it only appears as an icon in the top left corner of the screen which you then have to swipe in order to reveal the options. See attached screenshots.

Having made this setting change it took a further ½ hour for the device to be installed on the PC and for it to appear as a drive in XP's explorer. There was no indication on the PC that anything was happening during this process other than on completion.

Hope this helps.

post-1028550-0-69143200-1382960614_thumb

post-1028550-0-61225700-1382960654_thumb

Guest Graham1

Hi cutlp

Thanks for you reply. I guess I'll have to leave it for while and wait. When you connect via usb now, does it connect instantly? (once the driver is installed).

Hi cutlp

Thanks for you reply. I guess I'll have to leave it for while and wait. When you connect via usb now, does it connect instantly? (once the driver is installed).

Hi Graham

Yes, it connects instantly.

Have you checked that your Hudl is set to connect as a media device, I.e. MTP rather than PTP?

BTW Ubuntu appears not to support USB file transfer to Android devices although there are hacks I believe.

Let me know how you get on.

Guest Graham1

Hi Graham

Yes, it connects instantly.

Have you checked that your Hudl is set to connect as a media device, I.e. MTP rather than PTP?

BTW Ubuntu appears not to support USB file transfer to Android devices although there are hacks I believe.

Let me know how you get on.

Yes, it is setup as MTP. Still got the same message (3 hours later). Will give up on this computer as it's my works one. Will try getting it work on Ubuntu when I get home later. Thanks.

Guest glossywhite

Apologies, I was connecting my Hudl using 12.04 (not 13.10). Connected to 13.10 (other computer) and could access just fine.

I've been an Ubuntu user since 2003 (ish) and 13.10 is definitely one of the better releases - I'll go as far as to say that I even like Unity now, whereas before I thought it was a train wreck.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Graham1

I've been an Ubuntu user since 2003 (ish) and 13.10 is definitely one of the better releases - I'll go as far as to say that I even like Unity now, whereas before I thought it was a train wreck.

You must have been using Ubuntu from the start then (initial release 2004). I think I got into Ubuntu around late 2005-6 (coming from openSUSE). I tend to stick with LTS releases on main computer (family one) with newer releases being on my own computer. TBH, I have always like Unity.

Guest glossywhite

You must have been using Ubuntu from the start then (initial release 2004). I think I got into Ubuntu around late 2005-6 (coming from openSUSE). I tend to stick with LTS releases on main computer (family one) with newer releases being on my own computer. TBH, I have always like Unity.

Yes, you're bang on there. It was 2003-2004 or thereabouts. My first ever distro that was handed to me was "Suse Linux 8.1 Personal", as you can see here - I still have it, and it holds great sentimental value for me. I can still recall booting it up, seeing all this weird text and thinking "WHAT ON EARTH DOES THIS MEAN?!" haha!

10545601713_291160c7ec_c.jpg

10545415604_393747c078_c.jpg

10545380075_aff949129c_c.jpg

Edited by glossywhite