Hudl 2 rooted!

Guest PaulOBrien

Impressive stuff Paul  :o

It'll be interesting to see what method you've used once you're happy with the process and procedure. 

From previous histroy with hudl rooting methods, it'll also be interesting once rooted to see if OTA updates become a headache as with the previous hudl. :wacko:  

Guest state-it

I'm new here, fallen over from XDA as it doesn't give much Hudl love, does it? (Not surprising as it's a UK-centric tablet).

I've had my Hudl for a few days now, and all I can say is my Note 10.1 hasn't had much use during that time.

I'd like to say a BIG 'Thank You' Paul: I'm sure that like myself, many others are waiting with anticipation.

Guest BobNugget

Had to buy another one!

P

Ouch!

Great work though, looking forward to a released version so I can try and dump the UEFI and try and mod it for Windows 8 :)

Impressive stuff Paul  :o

It'll be interesting to see what method you've used once you're happy with the process and procedure. 

From previous histroy with hudl rooting methods, it'll also be interesting once rooted to see if OTA updates become a headache as with the previous hudl. :wacko:  

Yeah cant wait! Being new to Hudl, what sort of OTA issues were there and are they easy to overcome? I had to download the forced update approx 10 times in order to log in 1st time before it worked, and couldn't seem to bypass so suspect that's what you are talking about?

Guest BobNugget

Rooted!??? Awesome! Does it mean I could install Windows on it now?

I've tried a few techniques and am hoping something similar to the Onda 975 Android->Windows conversion can be attempted once the root is out.

Having used it as an android tab for a bit though, i'm well impressed with this hardware and 4.4, great tablet OS. My main concern is that it's never gonna see an OS patch like the Hudl 1.

I've tried a few techniques and am hoping something similar to the Onda 975 Android->Windows conversion can be attempted once the root is out.

Having used it as an android tab for a bit though, i'm well impressed with this hardware and 4.4, great tablet OS. My main concern is that it's never gonna see an OS patch like the Hudl 1.

Hmm, how can you disable auto patching? 

I think the benefits to me of rooting probably outweigh the lack of updating though...

Superb news!

I am new here but have come from the HP:TP with CM10 world......and I must say, the Hudl2 is facking impressive for the money

Would love a bit more control and the ability to ditch the Tesco bloat.......keep up the good work buddy!

Andy

Guest BobNugget

Hmm, how can you disable auto patching? 

I think the benefits to me of rooting probably outweigh the lack of updating though...

Wiping it and putting windows on should do the job :)

Haven't tried but I would guess rooting it and blocking device.mobile.tesco.com in the android hosts file will stop it from update checking (it opens a TLS connection there to update). I'm a bit of an android modding beginner so that might not work.

Edited by BobNugget

For reference, dependent on how the hudl v1 was rooted - determined if the OTA updates started a boot loop situation.

This appeared to be related to software integrity checks during the OTA update process.

There was only a couple of updates but it was enough to cause issues for many.

Wiping it and putting windows on should do the job :)

Haven't tried but I would guess rooting it and blocking device.mobile.tesco.com in the android hosts file will stop it from update checking (it opens a TLS connection there to update). I'm a bit of an android modding beginner so that might not work.

It's a good start!

Guest HudlMan

Details to follow once i've made the process safe. :)

P

hudl2rootsmaller.jpg

When will you be releasing the method? Very intigued, I signed up just to congratulate you and ask for an ETA :) Well done again!

Guest thefunkygibbon

When will you be releasing the method? Very intigued, I signed up just to congratulate you and ask for an ETA :) Well done again!

so you signed up just to tell everyone you're inpatient? ;)  nice one.

Awesome effort Paul,  can't wait to see where this will get us.  Would love to have windows installed on the hudl 2 , but i'm assuming that we're still a way off on that. 

Guest seanspotatobusiness

so you signed up just to tell everyone you're inpatient? ;)  nice one.

Awesome effort Paul,  can't wait to see where this will get us.  Would love to have windows installed on the hudl 2 , but i'm assuming that we're still a way off on that. 

Why does everyone want to install Windows on it?

I'm wondering too, my employer once lent me a (poor quality) Windows tablet and I couldn't get used to it, it was very non-intuitive and of course crash-prone.

Guest thefunkygibbon

The reason why I want windows on it is because I already have a number of android tablets and this is the first Intel based tablet, just think it would be cool to try out windows 8 on a tablet. Play some of my steam games etc.

Mainly though, because I can (hopefully). If it runs rubbish though I will revert it back to android

Guest Kommander85

I (and I'm sure many others...) await your how-to with baited breath!

Great work by the way! Your sacrifice to the bricked tablet community in the pursuit of root level access is much appreciated.