Hudl2 - Maximum SD Card size?

Guest Dave UK

Guest abulkasam

So, are the limitations, that the card needs to be FAT32 format? (with the caveat some 64GB cards work, and some don't).

If it is FAT32, can anyone confirm that also means the max filesize per single file has a 4GB limit?  Which will be a bummer for some large video files/game files? etc.

Guest abulkasam

I believe it will be FAT32 - as they have no Microsoft License for other formats.  So sounds like a hard limit on 4GB file sizes.

OTG cable it is then?

Guest seanspotatobusiness

I believe it will be FAT32 - as they have no Microsoft License for other formats.  So sounds like a hard limit on 4GB file sizes.

OTG cable it is then?

Why not use a Linux file system like ext3 or ext4?

Guest Mark_He

Why not use a Linux file system like ext3 or ext4?

I believe the filesystem is part of the sd card spec. More generally, people would expect to be able to read their SD cards in their Windows devices as well, but MS are about a decade behind on filesystems and have no inclination to cooperate on Linux filesystems.

Guest seanspotatobusiness

Don't most people leave their SD card in their Android device and transfer files by connecting their device to Windows? Android should at least offer ext3 or 4 or something else as an option for people like me whose SD card doesn't leave the device.

Edited by seanspotatobusiness

Guest Mark_He

Don't most people leave their SD card in their Android device and transfer files by connecting their device to Windows? Android should at least offer ext3 or 4 or something else as an option for people like me whose SD card doesn't leave the device.

I'm at the limit of my technical knowledge here, but I believe that when attaching your android to a Windows device, android effectively just exposes the sd card as a USB connected device, and Windows then reads it as such. As Windows doesn't read ext, it couldn't read an ext formatted card in your android.

A method to emulate ext as FAT or similar while in an android device would be excellent though...

SanDisk Ultra 64GB, Class 10, Micro SDXC (brand new virgin/blank).  In short, my Hudl 2 appears to have no detrimental factors concerning this card, capacity or otherwise.  For my findings re; file transfers between Hudl 2 and Win7, read on.

Inserted above stated card into an almost virgin Hudl 2; Hudl said 'unsupported format' & offered to format card which I allowed.

After format, the card was removed & inserted into a Win7 host laptop which said 'There might be a problem ...' & recommended a 'Scan and fix' which I allowed (also letting Win7 'Automatically fix file system errors'.  The resultant report stated 'Your device or disk was successfully scanned' & 'No problems were found ...'.  Opening Windows Explorer showed the Hudl 2 had not just formatted the card, but it had also installed an 'Android' folder containing a variety of other folders, also a 'LOST.DIR' folder.  A 'Properties' check showed the card was then formatted as FAT32 with free (read; usable) space of 59.4GB.

After removing the card from the Win7 host & reinserting it in the Hudl 2, all seemed fine.  The card was removed & inserted into the same Win7 host laptop as before, which said 'There might be a problem ...' & recommended a 'Scan and fix' etcetera, exactly the same as the first occasion (same 'No problems ...' etc.).  Returning the same card to the Hudl 2, no problem.

For people wanting to use the Micro SD card to transfer files from one computer to another, I have no idea if the same issues will occur for a smaller capacity card, but I would expect so (others may prove me wrong).

• 3 months later...
Guest Triggaaar

Bump

I bought and tried this 64Gb card:

Samsung Memory 64GB Evo MicroSDXC UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10

It doesn't work.

I tried several times, several ways. I formatted it as FAT 32, and the Hudl2 could see it was there, and access some data (if small enough), but couldn't manage a large movie file (whereas the same files on a 32 Gb card worked no problem.

I'm really keen to get it working, is it simply that some cards are working and others aren't?

Thanks

Guest Mark_He

Bump

I bought and tried this 64Gb card:

Samsung Memory 64GB Evo MicroSDXC UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10

It doesn't work.

I tried several times, several ways. I formatted it as FAT 32, and the Hudl2 could see it was there, and access some data (if small enough), but couldn't manage a large movie file (whereas the same files on a 32 Gb card worked no problem.

I'm really keen to get it working, is it simply that some cards are working and others aren't?

Thanks

I believe I have the same card, and it works fine. You may well be running up against an inherent limitation of FAT32, which has a 4gb file size limit. This isn't down to the Hudl.

Guest Triggaaar

I believe I have the same card, and it works fine. You may well be running up against an inherent limitation of FAT32, which has a 4gb file size limit. This isn't down to the Hudl.

Thanks for the reply. Thanks for pointing that out, I'd forgotten. It wasn't that though, as the movie worked when using a 32 Gb card. Although I may have used the wrong block size when formatting with Windows, I also tried using the Hudl to format (maybe I got it wrong),

I've just updated the Hudls, and I'll now format the card again (just checking best way to do that, with Hudl or with Windows, setting the block size).

Thanks

EDIT - Just downloaded Rufus, and having a go with that.

EDIT - Not working :(

I'm coming to the conclusion that the card is faulty.

When formatting with Rusus I don't know whether to select MBR or GPT partition scheme, as I don't want to boot from it. First time I tried MBR, second time GPT. But when copying 4 movies to the card, 2 of them (not always the same 2) don't work, even from the card on the PC.

Edited by Triggaaar

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought for anyone experiencing problems relating to large files or lots of files not being readable or possible to put onto any Micro SD card, it may be prudent to check it's ACTUAL capacity with a tester such as H2testw.exe (Windoze program & portable standalone).  The larger the capacity of card/flash drive, the longer H2testw.exe will take &, for 32GB or greater, I would recommend leaving it to run overnight (or when you intend to go out for the day)!

I have tested a number of USB flash drives & memory cards which have looked like the genuine item, but when I've tested the actual capacity, they've been proven to be 'fake'.  E.g. an apparent branded 32GB micro SD, turned out to be just 3.6GB actual capacity.

Another point to bear in mind; even if you decide to use a fake flash drive/card for it's limited capacity, my experience is they are pitifully unreliable in terms of data retention.

Yet another point which may be useful to some Hudl2 owner/members; in my Hudl2, I have successfully used a number of Micro SD cards upto 64GB via a micro USB adapter/reader (the ones with a standard male USB plug at one end & a male Micro SD plug at the other end), also USB flash drives via an adapter cable (male Micro SD plug at one end & standard female USB socket at the other end) perfectly being read from & written to in all cases, albeit with the issues I described in my previous post; this thread of 09 November 2014.

• 7 months later...
Guest jimbojames79

Bump.

I too have bought the Samsung SD card and am having the same issue. I don't think its the SD card though as it worked first time in my Galaxy Tab S. It it running Android 5.0 though if that makes a difference...?

Edited by jimbojames79

Guest CPN200

In your previous post you referred to an external hard drive. Have you actually tried it on a SD card?

Yup. Originally a spare 8Gb card I had but I just tried it again with a SanDisk 16Gb Micro SD card formatted to Ext4 using Linux (& GPartEd) and got the same thing. Recognises the card is there but pops up the usual "SD card is blank or an unsupported file system, would you like to format the card?". Let it erase and format the card, popped it back into my Linux laptop to check what format it had used and you guessed it! Fat32! 

Edited by CPN200

Guest CPN200

Just found yet another anomaly when messing about with external drives...

Before I go on, someone previously mentioned in this thread that external USB OTG access will recognise NTFS partitions. Well it won't "out of the box", no matter what you do... It's FAT32 or the highway as they say...

The anomaly I found was that when unmounting a USB connected drive it also unmounts the internal SD card at the same time! In other words, all additional devices! Can you say "stupid"!!! After safely removing the USB connected device, you then have to go into storage and unmount/mount the internal SD card slot before you will get access to it back again and all your moved apps become active.... sigh.... crazy crazy... The Tesco hardware team need some lessons in Android or Linux or both!!!