How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Personally I'd leave it max 1hr in total (just my pref of not being in a rush).

Can't see any reason why you can't restart from scratch the process, as all we're talking about here is flashing the 'system' partition not the entire hudl2. Before restarting, just check the downloaded system image and the unzipped version, just to be sure there's no corrupted file - it shouldn't be as it shouldn't have been possible to unzip it fully if it wasn't 100% ok.

Also, just check your usb cable connections, if possible use a usb2 port, usb3 ports sometimes have issues in my experience.

Edited by Guest

Guest Bisonator

So happy!  :D

Kept it in bootloader and disconnected from USB 3. Connected to USB 2.

Kept CMD window open on PC and just re-ran the 'fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d flash system root.img' command without quotes.

Whole process went through really fast this time and successfully completed.

Now off to use Titanium Backup to freeze the rest of the bloatware and install adaway!

Thanks for helping me through it, Captain.  :)

B

Guest kerwhizz

First of all thanks for the guide for rooting worked a treat.

@Normola I think I have the same problem as you deleted a few things once rooted and now in a update bootloop after doing a full wipe I just taken it back to Tesco and playing dumb said that it won't update and won't let me do anything after 2 hours of them messing with it and talking to there tech guys they was unsure of the fault they can't do anything yet as there need a receipt for proof of purchase so there using my club card to prove this Gonna take 3 days then they said they should be able to send it away to be fix so fingers crossed and I'll keep you informed I hope this helps

Thanks again!

Guest stevehudl2

also on the hudl2 screen you should see it counting up.

I just had the thin green dotted line at the bottom of my screen, I had no progress Meter text or graphical, wonder if that was a glitch.

I just had the thin green dotted line at the bottom of my screen, I had no progress Meter text or graphical, wonder if that was a glitch.

Just to be sure, as I started doubting what I'd said (was it a green line moving which then stopped and/or an incremental count or just a static number in the bottom left) I took the option of flashing my hudl2 again and took some pictures with my phone in order to supply some reference pics for anyone else who's yet to do this - as I'd like to be as accurate as possible as I know what it's like following other peoples notes: -

First picture is of the windows command prompt dialogue showing the steps of the process: -

Dos_dialog_small.png

Second picture is of the hudl2 screen (green bar stops moving and vol +/- keys allow menu selection at end of flashing): -

Hudl2_screen_small.png

Before the bottom 'RESULT: OK' text is also displayed at the end of flashing, the area shows a 'static' hex value - the source of my mistake.  :blush:

Edited by Guest

Guest jackvdbuk

The files are renamed but I can't get in to change them back now.

Should still be rooted and might still be downloading play store apps in the background. Not sure if I can get anything installed that'll help though.

Will use titanium next time. Learning a lesson today. Never flash on little sleep!

A little annoyed that they force you to take the update.

ignore my same issue - refreshed current version image provided by paul and then accepted the update no problems.

Edited by jackvdbuk

Guest r00tmydevices

Followed my updated version of Paul's instructions (page 20?) this afternoon and managed to root a family members h2 in around 5 minutes or so. A lot less time consuming than when I tried doing mine which must have taken 7 to 8 hours! :O

Guest stevehudl2

Just to be sure, as I started doubting what I'd said (was it a green line moving which then stopped and/or an incremental count or just a static number in the bottom left) I took the option of flashing my hudl2 again and took some pictures with my phone in order to supply some reference pics for anyone else who's yet to do this - as I'd like to be as accurate as possible as I know what it's like following other peoples notes: - First picture is of the windows command prompt dialogue showing the steps of the process: -Dos_dialog_small.png Second picture is of the hudl2 screen (green bar stops moving and vol +/- keys allow menu selection at end of flashing): -Hudl2_screen_small.png Before the bottom 'RESULT: OK' text is also displayed at the end of flashing, the area shows a 'static' hex value - the source of my mistake.  :blush:

Re flashed your hudl just to confirm details and provide photo reference for newcomers, now that's willingness to help, I like it.

Paul must have a stock unrooted image maybe he could post it online for you, reflash with that and you would be clean would you not?

I'd definitely 2nd that request if possible Paul - it's a virtually guaranteed way for people to revert to standard updated build.

Guest crusader58

if I wanted to revert to the latest ota with no root how do I so? I've tried the SU unroot option and it didn't do anything

Paul must have a stock unrooted image maybe he could post it online for you, reflash with that and you would be clean would you not?

Yes that's what I was hoping for, I'm kinda new to this forum so should I pm Paul or wait for a reply to this post?

From my understanding, the OTA includes system partition updates etc not an updated system partition image, which is what would be helpful for reversing a rooted system (created by flashing Paul's 'rooted system' image).

Edited by Guest

Guest crusader58

From my understanding, the OTA includes system partition updates etc not an updated system partition image, which is what would be helpful for reversing a rooted system (created by flashing Paul's 'rooted system' image).

Is there a way that I can unroot as using SU Unroot fails

Guest stevehudl2

Play

Yes that's what I was hoping for, I'm kinda new to this forum so should I pm Paul or wait for a reply to this post?

He's a nice guy he won't mind you sending him a pm, I've had a couple of conversations with him via pm.

Theres every chance he could miss your post here, it won't hurt to pm him and ask if he can provide you with the stock image to manually flash.

Guest bryanchapman9999

Which apps do I need to freeze to prevent hudl2 updates after rooting?

I forget the exact name at the moment, but using titanium filter on 'update' and it will be obvious.

Guest r00tmydevices

A family member's h2, which I recently rooted, needs to be returned in-store to Tesco for a straight exchange after I discovered a small defect under the display screen (looks like an air bubble underneath a screen protector film). Is it best to factory reset it plus remove root prior to returning it? If so, how do I go about that please?

Thanks.

Edited by r00tmydevices

Guest r00tmydevices

Which apps do I need to freeze to prevent hudl2 updates after rooting?

Titanium (paid for version)

Edited by r00tmydevices