hudl2 does not charge

Guest horizon21

Guest Clever Trevor

It'll charge once it's turned off and it'll continue to charge if you turn it back on and just leave it or use it. Try not to let it get below 14% charge then it seems to charge ok.

This is my second one with the same problem. I might just wait to see if they issue a fix soon too. Lol...

Guest Squelch

This is somewhat of a cross post, but have you also noticed any clock issues after running the battery down? I found that mine had was out by over four hours, and only a power cycle would restore the correct time. It may just be coincidental, but worth asking if others have noticed this.

Guest Clever Trevor

I've noticed my clock is 16 minutes slow all the time, set to network. I'll check later if it has other time issues. It'll be flat by 21.00 or 21.16 in the real world. Lol.

Guest Mark_He

I've just had the issue for the first time: put it on charge at about 60%, came back a couple of hours later to see no change. The red charging light was on, the charging "lightning bolt" symbol was on the battery icon, but the battery level on the icon wasn't moving, and obviously it hadn't moved from 60%. GSam Battery monitor shows it as having been charging (a green line on the graph) with no change to the % during the period. Unplugged and re-plugged with no change, then powered off with the cable still in, and it immediately threw up the charging symbols on the screen (the large one in the centre of the screen that you get when charging while powered down).

I think it's clearly not the usb/cable, because of how it charged when turned off with no change to the cable. Obviously there's some combo of circumstances that causes it to happen, but I'm not seeing any common factors among the posts here.

The more details people give here the better. I wonder what the best way to get Tesco to look at this properly is?

Edit for completeness: not rooted, on latest OTA

Edited by Mark_He

Guest mark2410

well i am definetly still getting the sloooooooow charging thing.  if you power off, properly off and get the on screen battery symbol then boot up its charging fast.  a simple reboot is not sufficient.

its clearly a software, not hardware problem.

Guest mark2410

right, phoned tesco again about it and they said, if a factory wipe didnt cure it then its not a software issue, it must be hardware and so they want to replace it.

sooooo, they are going to come tomorrow and swap it for a new one.  we shall see if the new one charges fine or does the same.

Guest b00ster

I had the charging problem with my first HUDL 2.  It would say "Charging (AC)" but the % would never change.  If I powered off/on then it would charge fine that time.  Spoke to Tesco technical support and they immediately gave me a returns reference to swap out at store.  I got the impression it was a known problem as he asked my no questions after I explained the issue.  Also points to a hardware problem.  The replacement has been fine and charges whenever I plug the cable in.

Guest Pipedreambomb

Ok so it seems returning it worked for b00ster, so I'll try that too.

I'd suggest even if it is actually a software problem, as long as we keep sending them back, Tesco will have a distinct incentive to look into it and fix it!

I know it's not very practical for most people, but I'm game as I'm off work with a cycling injury and have nothing better to do ☺

Guest Clever Trevor

I'm on my third with the same problem. The staff think I'm on to some kind of scam now, lol. Tesco's are refusing to accept this problem even exists.

Edited by Clever Trevor

Guest Pipedreambomb

Clever Trevor, just remember they're the ones scamming us! You paid good money, you should be able to charge your tablet without turning it off. Sorry third time wasn't the charm

Guest Pipedreambomb

All I can say is, if factory resetting it temporarily or even permanently fixes it, how the f*** is it a hardware issue?

Tesco, please fix this in an OTA patch. We're in the main forum on the net for Hudl users, surely even one of your developers looks in on it and can connect the dots?

Guest christhedj

Hi all - The Inquirer is listening. Not sure if I'm allowed to post links, so apologies if I've broken any rules, but we've taken up your case and we're awaiting Tesco to come back to us with a comment.

Kind Regards,

Chris Merriman

Reporter

The Inquirer dot net

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2382075/tescos-hudl-2-tablet-doesnt-recognise-its-own-charger

Guest TheDoubtingJedi

Hi All

Just signed up to add my voice. I'm having exactly the same problem with a Hudl 2 that sometimes wont charge on the provided charger. Charges fine switched off and seems fine for a while after a reboot. Also noticed the clock problem for the first time yesterday.

I don't really see how it could be related but is anyone else who has experienced this problem running Nova Launcher on their Hudl? 

Cheers

David

Guest Pipedreambomb

Christhedj, that's awesome! You're right about the potential for Xmas sales, it's a superb deal for the money and very friendly for those unfamiliar with Android, and probably children too. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one for friends of the family, except for this one thing.

The sticking point is this charging issue. We geeks who can turn to internet forums have found workarounds for it, even if it's not ideal for us. But untold thousands of regular users will find they can't actually use their shiny new Christmas presents, not long into the new year. Mine's only a month old, and has already been having the charging problem for a week.

I'm fairly convinced it's a software issue, as restarting or factory resetting seems to make it go away for a while. I'm sure the Christmas rush has already started, so Tesco had better get working on the patch soon.

Guest Pipedreambomb

I don't really see how it could be related but is anyone else who has experienced this problem running Nova Launcher on their Hudl? 

I'm using the Google Now Launcher and I have the problem too.

I can't really see how it would be any specific piece of software that we've installed. I've looked at the battery usage after a night of having the red light but charging taking place. The stats were very normal, and the display was easily the highest consumer.

Since the screen was off all night, I don't think it's a case of the Hudl trying to charge but losing the race against a power hungry app. It simply isn't charging at all, or so slowly as to make no difference against normal background processes.

Guest I am eusty

I don't really see how it could be related but is anyone else who has experienced this problem running Nova Launcher on their Hudl

I've seen both this issue and the problem with the time using both the stock Tesco launcher and Nova.

Guest mark2410

oh, i use Nova too.  though the replacement came today and, touch wood, all is fine so far.

im still not convinced its actually a hardware issue, possibly its a pin issue where the tablet isnt telling the charger its fine to throw 2 amps its way in the way it ought to because the software is buggy.  i really have no feekin clue though. if tesco want to say its hardware and swap old for new thats their business.

oh btw guys the app i was using to show or fast charge rate is battery widget reborn.

Guest TheDoubtingJedi

I've seen both this issue and the problem with the time using both the stock Tesco launcher and Nova.

Thanks. That's what I needed to know. Saves me the bother of uninstalling and waiting to see what happens.

Thanks all (especially christhedj) for raising the profile of this. Hope Tesco take notice and get a fix out (I'm pretty sure it has to be software).

David

Guest state-it

It isn't hardware as mine varies whether I'm charging with the device off, charging from 'sleep' or charging from 'on'.

They might not call it 'software' related, but it is. Firmware drivers are still software.

Guest Pipedreambomb

Ok, so to follow up to my first post in this thread on the 16th:

15th November and the week before: red light on, no charging

16th November: did a factory reset

Night of 16th: charged with red light, was green when I woke up with 100% battery

Night of 17th: charged with red light, was green when I woke up with 100% battery

Night of 18th: red light on, didn't charge, and when I woke it was on 55%

You can see the diagram of charging on the night of the 18th here, notice it stays perfectly straight at 55% as soon as I plug it in and leave it alone:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3qQkgxedJMONU9QVERKRGRvRDQ/edit?usp=docslist_api

And here's my battery usage, upon waking on the 19th:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3qQkgxedJMOVUpDb0JadEFqNDg/edit?usp=docslist_api

Notice that:

1) Android believes it has been running on battery for 13 hours, even though I just unplugged it ten minutes ago

2) The usage stats are normal. The biggest drain, by far, is the screen, which hasn't been on all night. It's not the case that I have an unusually power sapping app using battery faster than the device can charge.

In conclusion, this is a bug that can be temporarily fixed by factory resetting the device, proving it is at least partially based in software/firmware.

It is possible that it could be an issue only with some units if the bug is a combination of faulty hardware and buggy software. However, since some members of this forum have replaced their Hudls several times to no effect, it is either a highly widespread hardware and software problem, or purely a software/firmware defect.

Either way, we must hope Tesco is working on the software patch that will fix it, and be more transparent or possibly simply aware about the nature of the issue, and explain whether or not sending our devices back is a necessary step in resolving it and why.

I suppose the question for we power users is: what are we going to do about it?

Edited by Pipedreambomb

Guest Clever Trevor

Pipedreambomb. Thanks for your input. I've spoken to the Tesco's Tech helpline and although they're very nice and so helpful, they're not actually technically helpful. I think they must be working from a crib sheet.

They were supposed to get a techie to phone me about my and others findings but no call yet, been waiting three days so far.

After Christmas they'll have loads of complaints about this issue and not have a solution unless they get their finger out, toot sweet!!!

Edited by Clever Trevor