Huawei Y550 out in uk, 4G LTE, 64bit Snapdragon 410, £44.99 on PAYG

Guest StewieTech

Sounded cool, but Huawei...man i got a bad feeling about Huawei. I ended up buying a "BQ Aquaris E5 HD" in late december for 160€ and couldn´d be happier. Check it out:

http://www.bq.com/pt/produtos/aquaris-e5.html

And lollipop is confirmed for this device so i´m really excited about android´s new flavour.

Guess another member will leave the community, but i will always have a peek at this part of the fórum knowing there´s good people and developers in here for sure.

Okay, so CM11 booted up fine, but there still are a few bugs (like wifi), which i will fix tomorrow, as im going off to bed :)

did you make a backup image of your phone as there are no backup roms available?

Guest patrik.KT

did you make a backup image of your phone as there are no backup roms available?

Of course I did, what do you think I'd return to if CM was too buggy? :D

Anyway, if someone is interested in testing and making a list of bugs in CM11 (as I'm a bit busy nor), here is a build: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5KRmU8P96dlbzloMzY5UGpIaE0/view?usp=sharing

What I have found so far:

- Wifi

- Taking photos in camera (preview and video works fine)

- Settings not showing the model in "About"

REMEMBER: I'm not resposible for any damage you may get by using this ROM, although I have tested it and it didn't put the phone on fire :)

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi Guys,

This is great news, my brother got one of these phones for Christmas.... Thanks to me!! ;-) lol.... As it was only £29.99 at the time.

It's a pity there isn't much dev support on these phones, given their price mark is around £50 at best... But its encouraging to see this happening here, keep the work up guys....

... and is there any more news/development happening on it as we speak...??

cheers, Lister

Guest patrik.KT

Hi Guys,

This is great news, my brother got one of these phones for Christmas.... Thanks to me!! ;-) lol.... As it was only £29.99 at the time.

It's a pity there isn't much dev support on these phones, given their price mark is around £50 at best... But its encouraging to see this happening here, keep the work up guys....

... and is there any more news/development happening on it as we speak...??

cheers, Lister

As soon as huawei releases the kernel source, I will begin to work on lollipop. We only have cm11 for now (with broken wifi) but I can build any kitkat rom if someone wants me to :)

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi @Patrik.KT,

Is that likely to happen?? Do Huawei have to release their source after a certain amount of time...? Or is this, fingers crossed & wishful thinking...?? Would be ace if they did!!! :)

- similar thing to the Tesco's Hudl Tablet... awesome little device, very cheap... However, lacked any development!! :( Whether thats because Tesco (or the official OEM) never release the source, I don't know...

Does it take a long time to build / compile roms...? I think good roms, that everyone is used too, are: CyanogenMod, OmniRom, PACMan and DirtyUnicorn... / but guess just depends how much effort and time it takes. (Have no idea the efforts it takes to sync / compile roms... If too much, then prolly not worth to build some of the more fancier ones).

Is the WiFi only broken, because lack of Kernel Source, and thats holding the rest back....? Would be awesome to see Lollipop on it, even if Huawei never bring it to us, and without their silly EmotionUI interface....

I've seen a video on YouTube about rooting this device, looked straight forward enough. Is it easy to root, and then install custom recovery? And how easy is it to restore it back to fully factory without root afterwards?

Not sure my brother would try it, if there is no full restore option...

But great to hear we have at least one active developer / maintainer for this device....  THANK YOU!! :)

Cheers, Lister

As soon as huawei releases the kernel source, I will begin to work on lollipop. We only have cm11 for now (with broken wifi) but I can build any kitkat rom if someone wants me to :)

Guest patrik.KT

Hi @Patrik.KT,

Is that likely to happen?? Do Huawei have to release their source after a certain amount of time...? Or is this, fingers crossed & wishful thinking...?? Would be ace if they did!!! :)

- similar thing to the Tesco's Hudl Tablet... awesome little device, very cheap... However, lacked any development!! :( Whether thats because Tesco (or the official OEM) never release the source, I don't know...

Does it take a long time to build / compile roms...? I think good roms, that everyone is used too, are: CyanogenMod, OmniRom, PACMan and DirtyUnicorn... / but guess just depends how much effort and time it takes. (Have no idea the efforts it takes to sync / compile roms... If too much, then prolly not worth to build some of the more fancier ones).

Is the WiFi only broken, because lack of Kernel Source, and thats holding the rest back....? Would be awesome to see Lollipop on it, even if Huawei never bring it to us, and without their silly EmotionUI interface....

I've seen a video on YouTube about rooting this device, looked straight forward enough. Is it easy to root, and then install custom recovery? And how easy is it to restore it back to fully factory without root afterwards?

Not sure my brother would try it, if there is no full restore option...

But great to hear we have at least one active developer / maintainer for this device....  THANK YOU!! :)

Cheers, Lister

I can't really tell, if they will release it. Most of their devices lack kernel source. Silly huawei :/

The time of building a ROM really depends on your hardware. It can take from half an hour up to a day...

I havent really looked into the wifi issue as I was quite busy, but I will do when i find some time. I will release device tree and blobs (no kernel source as there is none as of yet, I'm using a prebuilt one) so that anyone can build any kitkat rom :)

You need to unlock your bootloader if you want to root it. Right after the unlock you should boot recovery (dont flash it, just boot) and backup the stock rom and recovery (important if you want to return to stock). Then you can flash the recovery and install supersu.

I'm trying to do my best :)

hi guys, do u have multitouch problems when pinch to zoom? it also effect fps games if your a gamer when movin fingers close together, ie:- turnin etc. anyway, can you please check with multitouch and see if when u move fingers close to eacher if one dissapears. if that makes sense lol. thanks fellaz

Edited by stodag

Just thought i'd let people know that you can get this for phone for £44.99 on PAYG now from o2: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/huawei-ascend-y550-4g-smartphone-payg-44-99-o2-free-delivery-2135152

available for £34.99 on payg upgrade here: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/4g-phone-under-45-huawei-ascend-y550-34-99-payg-upgrade-44-99-for-purchase-cpw-2145573

I have updated the 1st post with links to root and TWRP download and email info for getting your bootloader unlock code.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The guys at XDA forums have made a CM11 rom that works, i have installed it myself. There are 3 known bugs:

1. the flash doens't work when taking photos, it works as a torch though.

2. the wifi mac address is a random mac address not the one that the phone was designed to use, the creator of the rom can't figure out where to find the mac address at the moment.

3. the notification LED stays a solid colour instead of flashing every couple of seconds.

Here is the thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/help/to-root-huawei-y500-t2923318

I have updated the 1st post with links to roms and gapps.

Edited by Guest