New update Sept 15

Guest Flashingblade

Guest dennissingh99

Is this something I can do without installing the update and if so can someone explain what to do? 

What you can please do for us is go Google play, and download this aapp known as es file manager. Once that is installed, you can go into the root folder, and then into cache, and from there copy a zip file and upload it for us. We would all greatly appreciate your help with this.

Guest Flashingblade

I'm not sure i want to install it.I will wait until other have it to see if there are any issues.My hudl run great on kitkat so i'm happy to stay on that until i can see a good reason to upgrade.

Guest dennissingh99

I'm not sure i want to install it.I will wait until other have it to see if there are any issues.My hudl run great on kitkat so i'm happy to stay on that until i can see a good reason to upgrade.

you can download the update and then get the zip uploaded from the cache folder and I will test it for you. If it doesn't work then you can just delete the file from the cache folder and the update will not install

Guest dennissingh99

Just another question, has anyone else actually received this update because I have been mashing the check button since last night and nothing has come up.

Guest dennissingh99

https://www.facebook.com/HUDL2?fref=ts there are a few people on this facebook page who have installed it

Most people haven't really got the update yet so I will just presume that the update has been postponed until it is fully fixed for everyone to use. So I think we should start to see the update rolling in to everyone around the end of September or at the start of October. 

Guest DynaMight

I'm surprised (and happy) that they've released a 5.1 update. I'd pretty much given up hope to be honest, I kinda assume that it means a Hudl 3 isnt on its way? 

Anyway, I've had Lollipop since it was released and its very good, I prefer it over Kitkat and never had any issues, yes sometimes you can come across issues when upgrading especially from big revisions, but worst case is a factory reset and the restore feature (even better in Lollipop) restores most of the apps & stuff back. Plus it has much better use with SD Cards, which was very limited on Kitkat, just that alone is a big reason to update. 

My only hope is the wifi driver is improved, as thats the biggest drain on the battery, I've seen this on some other Android tablets before, usually the more budget ones, presumably with cheaper wifi hardware or poor driver support.

What generally happens with updates, especially big ones, is they release to a very small amount of users first, like 5%, and report on failures, if the failure rate is low they release to bigger numbers over the following days. usually the biggest delay is between the initial 5% and the bigger release as they wanna make sure everything is working because the potentially brick/bootloop 1000's of devices! After that its generally about reducing server load.

All the previous (less important) updates I've pretty much had straight away, just my luck that the most important update isnt showing for me :(

Another HUDL 2 user who's updated.  Can confirm all works well although some noticeable effects -

1. Start up takes an absolute age.  Wasn't the quickest from a cold start beforehand but seems to take a good few minutes to get going now (think about 5mins).

2. Those more adept at Android may not see why I have these apps but I have a task killer (Advanced Task Manager) and cache cleaner (1tap Cleaner) and they're both somehow blocked from being effective.  Don't think it's a lollipop issue as they're working on my 1st Gen Moto G 4G running lollipop.

3. App updates - occasional errors but does eventually work.  Not seeing this as a big issue as I've pretty much got all the apps I need, just updating isn't smooth unless there appears to be at least 500mb of internal ROM free.  Although I'm not sure if this is a standard feature of Android - it's the "fullest" device I have.

Not experiencing any issues in my day-to-day use - still an overall positive experience!

Screenshot_2015-09-07-21-12-22.png

Screenshot_2015-09-07-21-12-06.png

Update - running Nova Launcher still (works fine), type with Swype (works fine), installs Dolby Audio app (can't really notice a difference in audio output - never had a problem previously),

Edited by WaMo
More detail

Guest dennissingh99

Another HUDL 2 user who's updated.  Can confirm all works well although some noticeable effects -

1. Start up takes an absolute age.  Wasn't the quickest from a cold start beforehand but seems to take a good few minutes to get going now (think about 5mins).

2. Those more adept at Android may not see why I have these apps but I have a task killer (Advanced Task Manager) and cache cleaner (1tap Cleaner) and they're both somehow blocked from being effective.  Don't think it's a lollipop issue as they're working on my 1st Gen Moto G 4G running lollipop.

3. App updates - occasional errors but does eventually work.  Not seeing this as a big issue as I've pretty much got all the apps I need, just updating isn't smooth unless there appears to be at least 500mb of internal ROM free.  Although I'm not sure if this is a standard feature of Android - it's the "fullest" device I have.

Not experiencing any issues in my day-to-day use - still an overall positive experience!

Screenshot_2015-09-07-21-12-22.png

Screenshot_2015-09-07-21-12-06.png

Update - running Nova Launcher still (works fine), type with Swype (works fine), installs Dolby Audio app (can't really notice a difference in audio output - never had a problem previously),

Is there any chance that you can find the zip file inside the cache folder?

Guest DynaMight

The update.zip wont show unless you have root access (and also in 'root mode' in ES Explorer) however it does get deleted after the update so you need to download the update & save it prior to flashing.

Guest theadmans

Any of you guys that now have Lollipop on the Hudl 2 have a USB DAC ?

I seem to remember Lollipop has the ability to link to USB DACs - can someone confirm this works without the use of any additional Apps eg. USB Audio Pro etc.

If the USB audio works I will install Lollipop - I was thinking of buying an expensive Audio DAP eg Fiio X3 but maybe I can make do with my Hudl2 and a cheap USB DAC.

Guest Jabbitt

Well now it's not even connecting as if they've taken the update server offline.

EDIT: No ignore me, it's back on again but I'm not getting the update. #impatient

Guest George Styles

OK... im getting a bit impatient now... so ive installer Fiddler, and the fiddler root cert on my device and set it to proxy through my win10 pc... 

It seems the update calls to Tesco are as follows - id imagine if we substituted in a deviceID for one of the devices that already has the staged update ok'ed we might get the mythical update.zip back from one of these...

GET https://smetrics.tesco.com/b/ss/tescoukmasterprod%2Ctescoukdeviceprod/0/JAVA-3.0.4-AN/s23295162?AQB=1&ndh=1&c30=13&v52=6F4457DC3F96F0DC4FDEBB980B8BF9A9&ce=UTF-8&vid=e76fbd58cdc24db9b1bb87c6190fbf7c&events=event10&v14=Update%20Check&c31=W&v22=Anonymous&t=9%2F8%2F2015%2013%3A23%3A55%203%20-60&c.&a.&OSVersion=Android%20Unknown&DeviceName=Hudl%202&Resolution=1200x1824&.a&.c&c32=Weekday&v57=First%20Journey%201.0.0&v9=First%20Journey&v15=Terms%20and%20Conditions&c10=First%20Journey&pageName=Update%20Check&c36=20150909-13%3A23%3A55&c33=Tablet%3APortrait&AQE=1 HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-GB; Hudl 2 Build/KOT49H) hudl updates/1.2
Accept-Language: en-GB
Host: smetrics.tesco.com
Connection: Keep-Alive
Accept-Encoding: gzip

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 12:23:50 GMT
Server: Omniture DC/2.0.0
Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *
X-C: ms-4.9.7
Expires: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 12:23:50 GMT
Last-Modified: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 12:23:50 GMT
Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store, max-age=0, no-transform, private
Pragma: no-cache
ETag: "55F024D6-533C-38E8EB2E"
Vary: *
P3P: policyref="/w3c/p3p.xml", CP="NOI DSP COR NID PSA OUR IND COM NAV STA"
xserver: www289
Content-Length: 1
Keep-Alive: timeout=15
Content-Type: text/html

GET https://device.mobile.tesco.com/ota/rel.android-build.20150529.110309 HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; Hudl 2 HTF8A4 Build/KOT49H)
X-FirstJourney: false
x-device-class: Hudl 2
x-device-id: 6F4457DC3F96F0DC4FDEBB980B8BF9A9
x-firmware-version: rel.android-build.20150529.110309
x-api-version: 1.7
Host: device.mobile.tesco.com

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Cache-Control: no-cache
Content-Length: 29
Content-Type: application/json
Server: 
x-api-version: 1.7
x-api-build: 1.7.0.108
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 12:23:51 GMT

{"status":"OK","update":null}

GET https://smetrics.tesco.com/b/ss/tescoukmasterprod%2Ctescoukdeviceprod/0/JAVA-3.0.4-AN/s30444201?AQB=1&ndh=1&ce=UTF-8&vid=e76fbd58cdc24db9b1bb87c6190fbf7c&t=9%2F8%2F2015%2013%3A23%3A57%203%20-60&pageName=hudl%20updates%2F1.2&events=event19&c.&a.&OSVersion=Android%20Unknown&DeviceName=Hudl%202&Resolution=1200x1824&.a&.c&AQE=1 HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-GB; Hudl 2 Build/KOT49H) hudl updates/1.2
Accept-Language: en-GB
Host: smetrics.tesco.com

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 12:23:52 GMT
Server: Omniture DC/2.0.0
Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *
X-C: ms-4.9.7
Expires: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 12:23:52 GMT
Last-Modified: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 12:23:52 GMT
Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store, max-age=0, no-transform, private