SPV Invaders goes to V1.4 - 20th September 2004

Guest muff

Guest muff

hi gang,

thanks for all the support.

right, some answers....

soft buttons as controls - unlikely (dont think it's a natural way to hold the phone with the fire button at the bottom of the keypad), but 4+6 already function as left and right if you want to try those - of course if there is loads of support for this control method, then I will add it

sound volume not just on/off - will look at doing this for the next version

akarno - the whole thing was made from scratch over the weekend, only the background + sounds are cribbed - as for the 5% difference, well something has to give when you talking this many pixels :lol:

midnight - I know you want Galaga, but you'll just have to wait :D

l8r

muff

Guest akarno

A couple more suggestions / comments for next version.

After each round the invaders should start a little lower. I only got to round 3 but they did not seem to start any lower.

After getting hit, the invaders should stop until your next ship appears. I got hit when there was only one invader left. By the time my ship re-appeared, the invader had hit the bottom.

I saw your comments above, maybe you could just slow the invaders down 5% (not the ship speed which seem about right), I don't know what other think on this??

Guest muff
A couple more suggestions / comments for next version.

After each round the invaders should start a little lower. I only got to round 3 but they did not seem to start any lower.

After getting hit, the invaders should stop until your next ship appears. I got hit when there was only one invader left. By the time my ship re-appeared, the invader had hit the bottom.

I saw your comments above, maybe you could just slow the invaders down 5% (not the ship speed which seem about right), I don't know what other think on this??

each wave should indeed start lower, I'll check it's working, but that's what the code should be making it do

as for making the invaders stop, I just checked the arcade version and they do indeed stop (which surprised me I can tell you), I'll try to sort this in the next version

as for the 5% slow down of the invaders, well that's a bigger problem - to achieve such a small difference potentially means re-writing the movement code for the invaders (if not the whole game timing) - I may be able to make it happen another way, but I'll make no promises - we may have to live with the 5% (though I have no idea if that number is correct, it was all coded by 'feel' - not actual timings/measurements)

thanks for the feedback though

muff

Guest smartman

nice one muff, but can u slow down alien missiles a bit there a bit frenetic than what I remember also can u assign base firing to action key, some mentioned this was a bit heavy on the action key but it's hard trying to fiddle with any other keypad button when u see a missile headin you're way other than that great and thanks.... 8)

Guest muff
nice one muff, but can u slow down alien missiles a bit there a bit frenetic than what I remember also can u assign base firing to action key, some mentioned this was a bit heavy on the action key but it's hard trying to fiddle with any other keypad button when u see a missile headin you're way other than that great and thanks.... 8)

alien bombs are frenetic, they are trying to take over our planet, are you not man enough to handle it? :lol:

as for the fire button being the action button, it was a deliberate choice not to do this - the reason being that the thumb can rock left/right without having to worry about wether it is firing a precious missile or not

sorry, but that's not going to change without some major support from the gang

muff

p.s. Arkano, the waves do get lower, just checked

Guest midnight

hehe, muff, i suppose you may aswell add a redefinable keys options, only way of pleasing everone (action as fire????? ouch :lol:)

anyways, forget galaga, we have more important things to be working on :D

Guest muff
hehe, muff, i suppose you may aswell add a redefinable keys options, only way of pleasing everone (action as fire????? ouch :lol:)
no, they'll just have to come around to my way of playing :D

anyways, forget galaga, we have more important things to be working on :D

shhh, dont tell them that :lol:

Guest vijay555

:lol: 4 & 6 is cool muff, i only had a very quick go, but that should be fine. However, in my own defence, i'd still be happy to play with soft keys left&right, and fire still as *. quite comfortable for me to control. But that's just me with my woman-pleasing opposable thumb.

and just a curiosity, but can you destroy the "bombs" dropped by the invaders? i thought you could in the orginal, but my quick playtest didn't seem to.

Anyway, i'm jabbering: I'm grateful anyway. Great work muff, keep it up.

V

Guest NederSoren

Arrgghh.. im tired of hearing midnight going like: "I'm making a new game... And i wont tell ya.. nah nah.." anf now you too muff..

Nah.. its ok.. if the game is cool.. then it proberly will be a plesent suprice when its released.. :lol:

Guest muff
:lol: 4 & 6 is cool muff, i only had a very quick go, but that should be fine. However, in my own defence, i'd still be happy to play with soft keys left&right, and fire still as *. quite comfortable for me to control. But that's just me with my woman-pleasing opposable thumb.
hehe

just for that, maybe, just maybe I'll add softkeys in for the next version

and just a curiosity, but can you destroy the "bombs" dropped by the invaders? i thought you could in the orginal, but my quick playtest didn't seem to.

Anyway, i'm jabbering: I'm grateful anyway. Great work muff, keep it up.

V

you can indeed shoot the enemy bombs, but on this scale every pixel counts - you have to be VERY accurate

glad you enjoy it m8

muff

Guest muff
Arrgghh.. im tired of hearing midnight going like: "I'm making a new game... And i wont tell ya.. nah nah.." anf now you too muff..

Nah.. its ok.. if the game is cool.. then it proberly will be a plesent suprice when its released.. :lol:

Hi NederSoren

I'm sure there are lots of projects going on that most people are unaware of (I for one only know of the ones I'm involved in and that's fine by me)

yes Midnight and I are working on some stuff, but rather than pimp it big stylie and not deliver up to the hype, we'd prefer to keep it quiet so everyone can enjoy the surprise :D

I'm sure Midnight is not meaning any offence, just saying that he is busy on some exciting stuff

muff

Guest akarno
as for the 5% slow down of the invaders, well that's a bigger problem - to achieve such a small difference potentially means re-writing the movement code for the invaders (if not the whole game timing) -  I may be able to make it happen another way, but I'll make no promises - we may have to live with the 5% (though I have no idea if that number is correct, it was all coded by 'feel' - not actual timings/measurements)

muff

My figure of 5% was just a guess based on feel. All I can really say is that it seems a little harder than "real" invaders even taking into account the smaller controls.

Guest muff
My figure of 5% was just a guess based on feel. All I can really say is that it seems a little harder than "real" invaders even taking into account the smaller controls.

I'm playing with the timing slightly for the next release

we'll see if that's any better

Guest Martin@Home

Fantastic Game Muff ! Well done again M8.

I was on my way to work this morning and was listening to some bloke playing snake on and old Nokia er thing. The "bip" noises from it were really annoying and I took great satisfaction in firing up SP Invaders on full volume HA HA !

Great work dude... Asteroids next ??? Perfect for the spv keypad methinks !

:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :o :o :o :o :o :o :D :D :D :D :D

Guest muff

take that nokia dude :lol:

as for asteroids, not sure yet

I'm a big fan of the game, and have made lots of version of it over the years

wether it works on the SPV's screen is an issue that is stopping me

it is on the list of games to consider in the future though

muff

Guest Martin@Home
as for asteroids, not sure yet

wether it works on the SPV's screen is an issue that is stopping me

muff

Why wouldn't the SPV screen be suitable ?

Guest muff

3 main factors make games on the SPV a consideration

physical screen size + screen aspect ratio + controls

an enjoyable game is the sum of lots of parts - playability is a huge part, and the size of the rocks on the screen, the pixels to object size ratio + the screen's aspect ratio are important in this - as is the control method

I'm a big believer that if a game doesn't work within the above limits, then it shouldn't be released (I've not release quake for the SPV because of these reasons)

I only said that I was unsure until I've done some testing, not that I won't develop it

muff

Guest Gorskar

Top game muff!

One thing I noticed is that when you die while there is a mothership playing over it disappears when you start your next life. Does this happen in the original or not? I'm not sure.

Guest vijay555

I think i should just add: the Thumb is but 1/10 of what i can get up to with these fair digits.

Great work Muff, i love interactive product development! MoDaCo forever, bwah hah hah...

V