Exchange Server 2003 Always-Up-To-Date notifications HOWTO

Guest johnsoanes

Guest fenice

In that case, I'm stumped I'm afraid. The odd thing about your setup is that, AFAIK, the SMS that tells your phone to sync 'hidden' (for want of a better technical term) and you should never see it.

As I mentioned earlier the SMS that forces the sync is only for that purpose and when the phone sees the AUTD SMS it just syncs with your server, it doesn't have anything in it other than the notification to sync. In other words, the set-up with E2K3 is as follows: and email arrives in your inbox; OMA then sends the 'special' SMS; your phone recognises that and does a sync just as if you had pressed the ActiveSync option. In other words the phone pulls the email from your server they're not stricly pushed to your phone.

I'm about the end of my technical ability here as I'm just just a beginner with E2K3, about the only thing that I can suggest would be a reset of your phone back to manufacturers defaults and start again. Have you tried asking these questions in the microsoft.public.exchange. - clients/connectivity/admin groups?

Guest nigelmu

the crux of the problem seems to be the "special" sms

the message arrives at my orange email box - eg of subject =

9101fd0014c9324c92146f46dceb1c22-cd8a8

with content of

//SCKL040A AwFqAAADxgADBQHDEER1e4lT6p+XALskFIvUwwEB

but when the orange alert mechanism forwards the message to the phone - it only includes the subject. I am guessing that is the problem.

Is that how the SMS message gets to your phone - ie via orange alert?

Ta

Nigelm

In that case, I'm stumped I'm afraid. The odd thing about your setup is that, AFAIK, the SMS that tells your phone to sync 'hidden' (for want of a better technical term) and you should never see it.

As I mentioned earlier the SMS that forces the sync is only for that purpose and when the phone sees the AUTD SMS it just syncs with your server, it doesn't have anything in it other than the notification to sync. In other words, the set-up with E2K3 is as follows: and email arrives in your inbox; OMA then sends the 'special' SMS; your phone recognises that and does a sync just as if you had pressed the ActiveSync option. In other words the phone pulls the email from your server they're not stricly pushed to your phone.

I'm about the end of my technical ability here as I'm just just a beginner with E2K3, about the only thing that I can suggest would be a reset of your phone back to manufacturers defaults and start again. Have you tried asking these questions in the microsoft.public.exchange. - clients/connectivity/admin groups?

Guest fenice

The SMS would be different but according to the event viewer on my E2K3 server box that's something like the type of message I get sent. As I mentioned eearlier, I never see the SMS as it's supposed to be hidden and is just to trigger the AUTD sync from the phone. Yes, the messages are coming to me from Orange alert, I send the notification to my phone at [email protected]

I know you can do this via the phone but when you made the entries for your Device Address etc, did you do it via the cable connection?

Guest nigelmu

Yes - I did set this up while connected via cable.

Perhaps it is worth completing a full reset on the phone & setting it up from scratch - just in case

thanks for your help

Nigelm

Guest fenice

Now, I'm totally confused - I was just trying to get some info and reset it to use the Corporate Service Provider in device settings and it worked. :shock: :? It didn't earlier and from a post in a newsgroup I was under the impression it wasn't working at all for the moment.

Try turning on diagnostic logging in E2K3 for the server in your Administrative Groups/Servers/ if you right click properties the Diagnostic Logging on the Services for MSExchangeActiveSyncNotify you'll see two entries for the Categories, you can set them to maximum and you see messages in the event log that detail the information they've snt to Orange, at least you can se if it matches the SMS info you posted earlier.

I'm afraid that a full reset is always a faithful stand-by in cases like this. :cry:

Guest nigelmu

Hard reset the phone & set from scratch for SMS notification & turned on all the loggin.

Am convinced that the problem relates to the Orange email alert only sending the subject line & not the body of the message!

Interesting - if I manually send an email with the message body in the subject - it seems to work.

So - I am wondering how on earth yours works? Are you not simply getting the subject?

Best regards

Nigelm

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jigboby

Wow, it actually worked! I just followed the directions in this thread. Thanks everyone for your help. I now have my Samsung i600 receiving messages as I get them in my office.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Don't know if any of you guys can help.

I have followed the notes etc but I am still having problems.

I am running Windows 2003, Exchange 2003 and ISA 2000 (with the SP loaded), the server itself runs fine and I only have the E100 (should not make much difference).

Problems I have, when I put my phone in the cradle to sync the active sync box comes up and reports that Calendar, Contacts and Inbox are 'sync status is on the device' and I cant get any contacts, emails etc to appear and I cant find out what that message means.

Secondly when I try to access my OMA server from my phone it asks me for my username and password but it refuses to accept them. If I cancel I get a 401.1 error. I have the forms authentication turned off and I have loaded the disablecertchk but still no joy.

Can anyone help??

Guest fenice

Hi

Have you go authentication setup correctly on E2K3 & IIS? Have you also got the correct ports open on ISA? Have a look at this article http://snipurl.com/53ji it describes how to set-up E2K3 with ISA. There's a second article to that series, you can find the link on the page above.

HTH

Guest johnsoanes

The sync status set on phone message is normal. That just means that syncronisation is being handled by direct communication between the E200 and the Exchange Server.

Tasks are syncronised using the Active sync program on the workstation connecting to Outlook and not handled by a direct connection to Exchange Server.

This topic is juct what i've been looking for, from what i understood this was not possible in the UK, seems I was wrong, so i've just set it up this afternoon, all is working except orange.net is rejecting the smtp message from the exchange server, stating the recipient [email protected] is an invalid recipient.

Any ideas. The xxxxxxxxx is my orange phone number.

fenice

I entered @orange.net in e2k3, but actually used the smtp address setting on the phone and entered 'phone [email protected]'. I've also entered the details in the telephone field in active directory users and computers (exchange version). I checked the smtp log on the exchange server which is stating the recipient 'phone [email protected]' is invalid.

I was wondering if it was necessary to be on a particular orange tariff, my phone is on some company tariff with Orange? Maybe an included SMS allowance per month or something?

Guest fenice

OK, on your phone go to the ActiveSync from the Start menu. When the ActiveSync screen comes up go to the Menu/Options/Server Settings/Connection - going down the list of options:

Username = username on the E2K3 server

password = user password

Domain = domain name of the Server

Server Name = url of your server

SSL = check box to use SSL

Address Device Using = Service Provider

Device SMS address = leave blank

Service Provider = Orange

Device Phone Number = your phone number

Those setting are the ones I have on my phone and it receives AUTD fine. Just to confirm that you do have WIN2K3 + E2K3 plus a Windows 2003 mobile device?

Got all that, I've also set the diagnostics logging on ActiveSyncNotify service, which then shows in the event viewer that all is ok, its orange that is rejecting the message it seems.

Guest fenice

That's the same set-up I have. :)

All I can say is that it's working for me, I know that doesn't help but I'm still a beginner with these products. I do think that Orange have problems with their SMS service, I have seen some failures with my AUTD but they only happened a couple of months ago and since then it's worked fine.

The only thing I can think of is to try this article http://snipurl.com/55ui or post in microsoft.public.mobility.myserver or one of the microsoft.public.exchange.* newsgroups. You get Microsoft people in those groups and they will be able to give you a better insight to troubleshooting the problem than I can.

Guest c2fow

Fenice,

Do you get an AUTD each time a new message arrives? I seem to only get one for the first email after taking it out of the cradle? It only then seems to reset itself once the phone has been put back into the cradle and sync'ed via the pass-through. Manual sync'ing wirelessly does not reset it.

Anyone else experienced this?

Tony.

Guest fenice

dh

There is now a specific groups for E2K3, have a look at this group microsoft.public.exchange.mobility for some help - there isn't much in there yet but you should get a fairly quick response.

c2fow

Sorry for the late reply, I must have missed the notification of your post. Yes, I do get an AUTD when each new message arrives on my server. AUTD should do an update when each new message arrives or you can have your phone do a check ever 'n' minutes, you set that in ACtiveSync.

Guest fenice

Hi

I don't normally do that as I use my system for having important email sent to me. I'm just doing some maintenance on my systems but I'll try that later and let you know what happens.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi everyone, I am still having trouble getting this to work :)

Is there a step by step guide to getting this up and running, I am using Win2003, Exchange 2003 and ISA 2000 I can bring up OMA fine but I get all sorts of Activesync errors. I have checked the activesync references but none of them work or list the errors I am getting :lol:

A few simple questions if I may.

Can I actually use the 2003 server itself to run outlook/activesync on :?: I know you are not supposed to but can you do it or do you need to configure from a workstation :?:

When I am setting up the connection information for activesync I am prompted for the server name. Do I use the the full computer name, the IP address or something else :?:

Lastly if I get the past the first two. For the notifications to be sent they must travel via GPRS, so do I need to do anything special with my ISP or Orange :?:

Any help greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Guest phillyjaq

Hope someone can help me. I've got the active sync working, but only sometimes. For days at a time, the push works great and then for a month or so, nothing, or maybe once or twice a day. It's odd. I put my SIM card into another phone and I can see that the sms messages are getting there but sometimes the e200 just doesn't do anything with the message...

Does anyone else have this problem. Also is there some kind of event log for the phone?

• 1 month later...
Guest keihin

Hi on my side everything is set up correct but the AUTD does not kick start the activesync instate it can in as a sms with:-

-------------------------------------------

subject: none

set: 03/08/04 9:38:45 AM

EMAIL

[email protected]

---------------------------------------------

what wrong?? how come the O2 XDA2 does not recognise the code to kick start the activesync???