Exchange Server 2003 Always-Up-To-Date notifications HOWTO

Guest johnsoanes

Guest keihin

ya manual sync no prop autd came in as a sms message instate of a control message. i suspect it could be the firewall side or the sms gateway site not very sure.

Guest keihin

now the control message stuck at the categorizer how do i flush it and let it start working?? i had try iisreset and restart exchange services.

Guest fenice

Hi

I'm afraid that I'm not an expert with E2K3 and still learning it myself. AFAIK, the categorizer will retry the message. Have you turned on any of the Diagnostic Logging for ActiveSync? Does that show anything in event viewer?

• 2 weeks later...

Just my two bits worth here...

All this supposes that you've signed up to orange.net's email service with free sms notification.

Basically, i signed up, but not with [email protected] , so instead i placed my [email protected] email address in the activesync device sms address

The step where you enter orange ( @orange.net ) as a mobile operator in exchange manager enables the corporate service provider setting under activesync, and thus if you've not set up [email protected] again makes it pretty much useless.

Now, i reckon if you've paid for an sms gateway, so you can send emails to [email protected], then this'd be where entering the mobile operater would come in handy - especially if you've got a few people in your company with such phones.

Also, you may have to setup mail alerts with orange, not a setting under the email part, but if you go into "your account" it's in there!

Saying all this, even though the proper notification email is going to my account under orange.net, i'm still not getting notification by sms - perhaps it takes a while to become active!?

edit: ignore the orange blah above, as the sms alerts that are sent are malformed. it appears that either autd works through orange or it doesn't!

Guest fenice

You don't need to sign up for the email service/sms notification to get AUTD & E2K3.

The AUTD function of Exchange is completely independent of the email service of Orange, I don't have the email/sms notification and my AUTD works flawlessly with Orange.

When the AUTD control sms is sent to Orange it already knows your phone is an Orange registered phone and forwards the control sms to you so it can initiate the AUTD function on the phone.

The AUTD function of Exchange is completely independent of the email service of Orange, I don't have the email/sms notification and my AUTD works flawlessly with Orange.

didn't with me, kept bouncing back emails from orange.net - the logs show the sink message being sent (to the right place apparently) but then orange just goes "naah, no such address"...

maybe it's random with orange whether it works or not - oh, and the autd function of exchange heavily relies on orange's email service as you're sending a message through smtp!

Guest fenice
.... - oh, and the autd function of exchange heavily relies on orange's email service as you're sending a message through smtp!

No, I'm afraid you are wrong. The AUTD function does not send any SMTP messages through the orange servers. The initial message from E2K3 is an SMS message to your phone via the Orange sms gateway. That SMS gets to your phone and initiates a synchronise with your own Exchange server, it's all done through GPRS via port 443 to the E2K3 server - there's no interaction with Orange SMTP servers at all.

No, I'm afraid you are wrong. The AUTD function does not send any SMTP messages through the orange servers. The initial message from E2K3 is an SMS message to your phone via the Orange sms gateway. That SMS gets to your phone and initiates a synchronise with your own Exchange server, it's all done through GPRS via port 443 to the E2K3 server - there's no interaction with Orange SMTP servers at all.

so how does the message get sent from e2k3 then? through the orange smtp service, which in some cases sends a txt, but in most returns an ndr with "no such address" - unless you're NOT using @orange.net as a service under mobile services...

see: http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?p=436457 for a poll on "who can get a txt to their phone by sending a message to [email protected] "

Guest fenice

You obviously didn't read my last post. The message from Exchange gets sent as an SMS, SMS messages get sent to an SMS gateway at Orange. An SMS gateway is not an SMTP server. The fact that you use @orange.net has absolutely no relationship to whether you're sending an SMS or an SMTP message. Using E2k3 and AUTD does not rely on you using another SMTP server.

Are you seriously telling me that you think an SMS notification message from E2K3 goes through the Orange SMTP servers? I think you need to read the documentation on E2K3 and you might get an idea of what it does.

Can I actually use the 2003 server itself to run outlook/activesync on :?:  I know you are not supposed to but can you do it or do you need to configure from a workstation :?:
You can, you do get a box saying this is highly not recommended, and it points you to a kb article, which relates to local com objects... i can't find the kb article just now though!?

When I am setting up the connection information for activesync I am prompted for the server name. Do I use the the full computer name, the IP address or something else :?:

Use an external IP for the server, whether it's through a dynamic dns hostname or what, don't use the internal server name, or the internal network name. you'll also need to open 443 (https) on the firewall and point it to the exchange machine.

Lastly if I get the past the first two. For the notifications to be sent they must travel via GPRS, so do I need to do anything special with my ISP or Orange :?:

the notifications travel from exchange via smtp to a smtp 2 sms gateway, the [email protected] seems to work for some people, and not for others (like me), when the phone receives these special txts it deletes them and then connects to your server via your default internet connection (gprs/dialup/vpn)

You obviously didn't read my last post. The message from Exchange gets sent as an SMS, SMS messages get sent to an SMS gateway at Orange. An SMS gateway is not an SMTP server. The fact that you use @orange.net has absolutely no relationship to whether you're sending an SMS or an SMTP message. Using E2k3 and AUTD does not rely on you using another SMTP server.  

Are you seriously telling me that you think an SMS notification message from E2K3 goes through the Orange SMTP servers? I think you need to read the documentation on E2K3 and you might get an idea of what it does.

it uses smtp to send the message to a smtp 2 sms gateway from what i've always gathered!

to be brutally honest, i suggest you re-read the documentation and then try to understand it, rather than belittling people who think different to you!

• 2 months later...

This has been a great post, so thanks to everyone who's contributed to it.

I'm hoping somebody may be able to help some more.

I couldn't get the Corporate Service Provider method to work, so have ended up using the Device SMS Option. Now I can't SMS to @orange.net, so have opted to use an SMS gateway provided by another company - the email address format is [email protected] where number is the number that I want to SMS, and username is my username.

There is a big problem here though. When the server sends the email to the above address, the email headers show that it is TO my personal email address but the DELIVER TO address is to the SMS gateway.

What's basically happening is the email is being sent to the right place, but it is being rejected because the To address isn't right (this is a different problem to the blank From address). Is there any way that I can modify the To address of the email notification that is sent to the SMS gateway? Preferably without having to write an Exchange event sink that monitors outgoing email (not really feasible with multiple users anyway).

Cheers in advance,

Chad

i think that's always going to be a problem, which is why i stopped using the orange alert gateway...

the headers have to be 100% intact, whereas most services will modify them - the only service i've seen costs a lot, and was therefore not worth the hassle...

Well the service I'm using will do the job properly, it's just the way that Exchange Server is sending the email that is the problem. The email is being delivered to the right address, but rather than send it with the To address as the one specified in the device address, it's sent with a To address that matches my email address.

You can see what the email looks like if you just set the device address to a regular email address (you will need to configure the device's options too so that the email is sent when you receive new messages). Basically it is something like this:

Deliver To: @24xgateway.com

To:

Subject: 3285678358723487325897245-343

Body: //b876tbigit6gb67gbUIYGBBn6fbytfbyutbbfu

(I have just put in random numbers information for the subject and body, but it looks something like that)

When 24x receive the email, they reject it because the To address doesn't match up in their database. So the text message is not sent.

What I have discovered is that the text message can contain any old crap, as long as it contains the subject and the body. My email to text converter sends them in the format ' Body: ' and it still works fine. Two methods to fix this would be to have the notification email sent to a mail account that can then modify the email and send it on (I sort of had this working, but not well enough), or write an exchange event sink to modify the To address. This is definitely my preferred option, but my ability to write event sinks is somewhat limited.

Apart from this minor hurdle, I have everthing sorted and would be able to give a decent step by step to setup a solution that would cost £68 + vat for 1000 texts (or 666 texts if you want to have a premium account that gives you history and logging facilities) - the more texts you buy, the cheaper it is.

Ideally the best solution would be an event sink that looks for a Deliver-To address ending in @24xgateway.com, and then changes the to address to match it. That way it would work for multiple users without having to configure the sink for each one individually.

I may have a bash at doing this at some point soon, but I've spent that much time testing and researching that I need to leave it for a while! If anyone else fancies jumping in, that would be great ^_^

Chad

Just one thing further. One thing I noticed when testing was a large delay in initiating a GPRS connection.

Once the text was sent, my phone's screen would light up shortly afterwards indicating that the message had been received (a bit silly considering it supposed to be a 'secret' text). It then took a lengthy 2.5 - 3 minutes before going online.

I know that isn't a great deal of time, but it just seems quite a long time for the purposes of what it's trying to do. I've put it down to being a method of keeping your GPRS usage down if you have a busy mailbox. I don't suppose anyone else has noticed this, or found a way to reduce the time?

I'm using an SPV C500.

Chad

it uses smtp to send the message to a smtp 2 sms gateway from what i've always gathered!

to be brutally honest, i suggest you re-read the documentation and then try to understand it, rather than belittling people who think different to you!

Have to agree with you there! If it doesn't use SMTP to send it, then what other format could it use. If you check the protocols container in the servers container it would have to use one of those - SMTP is really the only viable option.

it's sent with a To address that matches my email address.
Ahh, get ya... sorry, i've been so busy of late i skip read everything...

or write an exchange event sink to modify the To address. This is definitely my preferred option, but my ability to write event sinks is somewhat limited.

I wrote an exchange sink a while ago (well, attempted to, i gave up after deciding it was cheaper just to buy something that did the job i needed)

I still have all the codebase kicking around somewhere, and i've now at least got a local exchange server i can mess around with...

so basically the sink event needs to do something like:

if deliver_to_domain = @24xgateway.com then replace_to_domain = @24xgateway.com and send

it might be good for me to program something like that to clear my head - i'll let you know in about 4 hours whether i can be bothered doing it or not!!

^_^

i had a squizz, and unless i'm missing something obvious (or still too hungover to be productive) there's no way of creating a sink that checks for the envelope-to: header, in fact i can't even see the envelope-to header in any of the documentation (and it's not in the RFC), so this leads me to believe that smtp service see's it just as a "to" header, or just transports it straight out...

in the case of being a to header, you could set up a sink event to check for all rcpt to = *@yoursmsgateway.com and then rewrite the to field, but this seems to be counterproductive and might not even work!?

this kb article seems to be fairly close to what you need though, have a read and maybe you can make the changes necessary - i'm giving in due to said hangover and sudeki on the xbox ^_^

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;q324021

hope i've been of some use anyway! :oops:

One way of doing it would be to write the sink to check for outgoing email addressed to my domain. Apart from the email to the sms gateway, the only email running through the SMTP connector addressed to my domain should be incoming and not outgoing. The only drawback with this method is that it would need to be hard coded for each individual user - although it could be written to query AD for the user's mobile number but that would be damned slow. I'm a little bit worried that this may screw up system messages that are sent through the SMTP service, and wouldn't work with multiple exchange servers.

I'm going to have a hunt around for some information on the headers that can be used by sinks, and I have a few event sinks that I wrote (well, fudged together) about a year or so ago that may be of some assistance.

I'll let you know if I find anything out, and if I do manage to get it working successfully I'll let you know. It would be great to get this working, as it is a nice cheap method for small businesses to have big business functionality. Thanks for looking.

Chad

One way of doing it would be to write the sink to check for outgoing email addressed to my domain. Apart from the email to the sms gateway, the only email running through the SMTP connector addressed to my domain should be incoming and not outgoing. The only drawback with this method is that it would need to be hard coded for each individual user

Well, the individual's number is already in the headers/message somewhere (actually, the whole thing is), i suppose if you can get access to the whole message you could do a swift search and rip for everything from the end of "envelope-to: " until the next space, saying that, if you can get hold of the whole message, it'd be easy to search and replace!?

bah, back to property management software i go...

OK the sink is going to be a pain in the ass. I haven't confirmed this yet, but if anybody has written a auto disclaimer sink on Exchange, there is an issue with outgoing mail whereby the only way to get the sink to run is to install a second smtp server and route all email from the first to the second. A pain in the backside, and something I want to avoid.

Anyway, after a bit more research, it looks like that this problem might actually be to do with the blank From address. Using Outlook Express to look at the email, it looks like it is from and to my own email address. Using any decent non MS software to look at the email (in my case, MDaemon mail server) it shows a blank from address and the correct to address. If that is the case, then a) it will be really easy to get working, and ^_^ I've wasted about 15 hours researching an issue that doesn't exist.

I don't suppose anybody has the Q841995 hotfix available?

Chad

think i've found something that'd suit - but i've not given it a go yet:

download this -> http://www.vamsoft.com/orf/smtpenvl.zip

this sink adds default x-sender info etc to any emails, err, sinked :?

then to register it (instead of using the example from readme.txt in the zip):

cscript smtpreg.vbs /add 1 onarrival SmtpEnvlIns

CDO.SS_SMTPOnArrivalSink "rcpt to=*@24xgateway.com"

let me know if it works!?

I don't suppose anybody has the Q841995 hotfix available?

just give good old ms a phone, it's a hotfix so you don't get charged, and it'll only take an hour for them to email you the zip/password! ^_^