Update: BlindLemon Font Installer : Enable Fonts

Guest MrMagoo

Guest MrMagoo
Hi MrMagoo,

I skipped work for an hour and managed to get the output from Rapiconfig as you requested. Here it is :

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Hope this helps !

Mark

can you post a screenshot of what your problem is... the xml output looks ok to me - not much different from mine - i actually have larger values in the Wt values and mine is good, but I am not using Nina...

Guest MrMagoo

-------------------------------------------

here it's my RapiConfigOut.xml .

Thanks for your kindness, MrMagoo.

Thanks mwille.

Thanks everybody..

First off, let me apologise for my attitude earlier - I must have been having a bad moment at work - I am sorry.

The result of your query shows that you still have Tahoma set as your system font - is this what you want, but you just want it smaller?

Or did you mean to go back to Nina?

I think you might need to change font anyway, I have found that some fonts work well, while others look terrible like yours.

I suggest you try setting a different system font such as "Comic Sans MS" and see how that looks, or even Nina if you can't find one you like.

Guest mwille
can you post a screenshot of what your problem is... the xml output looks ok to me - not much different from mine - i actually have larger values in the Wt values and mine is good, but I am not using Nina...

If you have a quick look at NipT's screenshots on page 16 : That is exactly what happens on my phone..

Guest bpitk

Thank you,Mr Magoo.

Your BlindLemon Font Installer make me (and many Thai people who have spv) can read Thai SMS.

(and with cut-paste in NewMessage>>InsertText we can write and send ThaiSMS too.)

Now we can change font, change Menu into Thai Language.

I try to develope ThaiInput-Program to write ThaiSMS on spv.

(as freeware and change my hobby from java to c++ newbie)

I use eMBedded visual C++ 3.0,but the .exe file-product keep using Nina font.

How can I make the .exe file That can use another font?

And pocketIE(in SPV) keep using Nina font ,can I change Font in IE by changing the Registry?

In Thai we use Charset iso-8859-11, codepage 874, ThaiUnicode is between 0E01-0E4C.

[RegSettings]

HKLM,SystemGDISYSFNT,Nm,0x00000000,Microsoft Sans Serif

HKLM,SystemGWEMenuBarfnt,Nm,0x00000000,Microsoft Sans Serif

HKLM,SystemGWEMenuPopfnt,Nm,0x00000000,Microsoft Sans Serif

HKLM,SystemGWEMenuOOMFnt,Nm,0x00000000,Microsoft Sans Serif

Thanks for your advice...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest shawzhanc
I've some problems. I want to know how can i delete some registry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEM.

I used "Tahoma" Font.

My font is too large. How can i do?

I want to delete 'Wt', 'WtMUI'. help me please.

I changed in SysFnt, BarFnt, PopFnt.

I also experienced the same problem as NipT. His post includes screenshots that are similar to what I have on my phone. It doesn't matter what fonts are set up on the system, I have changed the fonts, removed the fonts, and even adjusted the font WT on the XML I installed but nothing works. I think another system font setting has been adjusted by the font installer program but as of this time, I still can't find that key. I really wish I can also post my rapiconfig dump but I do not have access to a PC right now, the one I am using now is one I use at work.

Any help will be appreciated. :wink:

Guest mwille

I had the same problem with the system fonts.. I eventually gave up trying things and waiting for a possible solution and simply hard-reset the phone. Problem solved :?

Guest hardcore

Problem with big (Unicode) fonts.

Hi MrMagoo, hope you see this. Your program is working great on my Xphone (E200 ROM). I am using RapiConfig to make the Registry changes.

I have been trying to switch the System Font to a Unicode font so that I can read Chinese, Thai, Korean in SMS and MSN, etc.

So far I have had success with the Tahoma font (it has nice Thai characters). CN-Arial also works. But I am having a problem trying to use fonts that support more languages like Chinese, for example Arial Unicode MS, SimHei, etc... cannot be used - the Smartphone defaults to using Nina if I try to use those fonts.

Could this be a limitation of the Smartphone software, or maybe a limitation with your utility? i.e. Is there a limit to the maximum size of a font file that can be used on the Smartphone?

Guest MrMagoo
Problem with big (Unicode) fonts.

Hi MrMagoo, hope you see this. Your program is working great on my Xphone (E200 ROM). I am using RapiConfig to make the Registry changes.

I have been trying to switch the System Font to a Unicode font so that I can read Chinese, Thai, Korean in SMS and MSN, etc.

So far I have had success with the Tahoma font (it has nice Thai characters). CN-Arial also works. But I am having a problem trying to use fonts that support more languages like Chinese, for example Arial Unicode MS, SimHei, etc... cannot be used - the Smartphone defaults to using Nina if I try to use those fonts.

Could this be a limitation of the Smartphone software, or maybe a limitation with your utility? i.e. Is there a limit to the maximum size of a font file that can be used on the Smartphone?

I am sorry, I don't know the answer - this utility just makes a standard api call to make the font available to the system. I have heard things sais about poor unicode support on the smartphone , but cannot give details as I didn't take much notice at the time.

I will try Arial Unicode MS for you on my phone just to see if the same thing happens...

EDIT: I just noticed that the SimHei font is a TrueType font - it has been found by many people that TrueType fonts do not always work on a smartphone. You should attempt to find an OpenType font to suit your needs - this may be more successfull.

Guest hardcore

MrMagoo,

I've found a way to load new fonts (and change system font) without additional software! It only involves changing some registry information:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....fontloading.asp

I've also found a way to make my English Smartphone read other languages including Chinese, etc!

http://www.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=108545

People trying this, be careful though, note that if the font path you specify is invalid or there are no font files in there, you Smartphone will not be able to boot! Only cure is hard reset or ROM re-flash. So, be careful...

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

@hardcore

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftFontPath]   "FontPath"="Fonts"

Can you give us the exact path that you used?

IMPORTANT: DO NOT try to use your Storage Card for this. I tried, and the phone would not boot after that. Also MAKE SURE you have a font in that directory! At least copy the nina and ninab fonts there first. If the folder path does not exist, or there are no font files in there, your Smartphone might not be able to boot next time round...

So this won't work on e100?

Guest MrMagoo
MrMagoo,

I've found a way to load new fonts (and change system font) without additional software! It only involves changing some registry information:

I've also found a way to make my English Smartphone read other languages including Chinese, etc!

People trying this, be careful though, note that if the font path you specify is invalid or there are no font files in there, you Smartphone will not be able to boot! Only cure is http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset or ROM re-flash. So, be careful...

That is fantastic - using this method are you able to add/remove fonts and use them straight away without a reboot? (you know - like in desktop windows where you can add/remove on the fly)

aside: This is a fantastic example of why big companies like microsoft can be a nightmare! Their own windows mobile team didn't even seem to know about this... They have stated that adding fonts was a massive problem on smartphones because of the system architecture! Oh well - it just goes to show that these phones CAN do a lot more than they even know ... GOOD WORK hardcore! Let's hope it encourages more people to investigate the hidden features. :)

Guest hardcore
Can you give us the exact path that you used?

Hi Pzee,

I used the path that most people normally use:

/Storage/windows/Fonts

This is for Smartphone 2003. I'm not sure if this will work with Smartphone 2002 or not (probably not).

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Thanks Rodney. :)

I'm thinking like since you tested this tweak on e200 where local memory is named 'Storage' , why not just change Storage to IPSM makin the path:

IPSMWindowsFonts ?

Then if compiled into a cab:

HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftFontPath

Parm=FontPath

ValueData=IPSMWindowsFonts

Type=string

Hmmm..now...thats something to try. :lol:

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest marring

Hello,

hardcode's discovery in MSDN (Windows CE.NET Documents) is greate. I tried with Smartphone 2003 (Emulator), but I COULD NOT try it with Smartphone 2002 (SPV E100). I don't know why. I tried it by modify directly registry keys (I'm using the PHM Registry Editor fee from monolithix), but it said that "Error: Unable to perform this operation". Is there anyone tried it successul? I want to know with the old verion: Smartphone 2002.

However, I love your post, hardcode!!!

Thank you very much!

Guest hardcore

Hi guys,

I dont think this is going to work for Smartphone 2002. It seems to work only for Smartphone 2003. In the MSDN website, these new font features fall under Windows CE .NET version 4.2 (which is Smartphone 2003).

Guest Jandy

Hi all,

Hey there Mr.Magoo (or anyone else who can help), :)

I have an MPX200, app unlocked. I used your font changer (well, I installed it), and my system font changed to Akbar. Since then I have added various fonts to my fonts folder, and been unable to install them following the instructions given. I edit the XML document, put it in my fonts folder, then run the app, but it says "There is an error in your XML" I don't know what the error might be, as I only changed the font names. I don't know how to use the Rapiconfig tool, so I tried editing the registry directly. This returns the message "unable to perform this operation".

I guess my question is, what might I be doing wrong? and/Or how do you use Rapiconfig? (I'd need that explaining explicitly I think.....)

This is what Rapiconfig said, but I blatantly don't know what I'm doing.. :oops:

C:DOCUME~1ANDY>C:RapiRapiConfig.exe [/P] C:RapiSystemFontSettings.xml

Executes an XML configuration document on a remote device.

RAPICONFIG [/P] [/M] filename

filename Specifies XML configuration document.

/P Process the document.

/M Return metadata.

Config failed (0x80070057): The parameter is incorrect.

Thank you in advance,

J

Guest marring

Hello,

I think that you should use:

"C:DOCUME~1ANDY>C:RapiRapiConfig.exe /P C:RapiSystemFontSettings.xml"

Remove characters "[" AND "]" in your command. I think you are not friendly with DOS/Console command.

I think you should copy all RapiConfig.exe and *.xml to the same folder... just worry...

Good luck!

Guest Jandy

hi, i sorted myself out now. Page or three into the thread is a reasonable description of what to do with rapiconfig. cheers anyway, J Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Youto Tokishiro

It's great software. I think.

I am trying to use Japanese fonts with my SmartPhone( Red e SC-1100) .

but I have a problem.

This fontinstaller needs OpenType font(TrueType outlines),

but There is no Japanese font of such a kind.

There are TrueType font or OpenType font(Postscript outlines).

Don't you have the schedule to make this software to be able to use TrueType Fonts?

Thanks

****Youto Tokishiro***

Guest MrMagoo
It's great software.  I think.

I am trying to use Japanese fonts with my SmartPhone( Red e SC-1100) .

but I have a problem.

This fontinstaller needs OpenType font(TrueType outlines),

but There is no Japanese font of such a kind.

There are TrueType font or OpenType font(Postscript outlines).

Don't you have the schedule  to make this software to be able to use TrueType Fonts?

Thanks

****Youto Tokishiro***

It is not a restriction of this software, but just an observation that some people find OpenType fonts work better. You can use TrueType if you want.

You might also want to check out hardcore's post further up this thread regarding unicode fonts - also other posts by hardcore regarding chinese fonts which may help you to find a solution for Japanese fonts...

MrMagoo, 

People trying this, be careful though, note that if the font path you specify is invalid or there are no font files in there, you Smartphone will not be able to boot! Only cure is Hard Reset or ROM re-flash. So, be careful...