I-mate Smartphone2 update now available. Did anyone try it?

Guest harshal

Guest mthomas50

HI everyone,

I have been reading through this post all day and trying to update my E200 UK Orange phone without much success.

Will lots of persiverence, I managed to update perfectly.

Here's how I managed it (and for the record I used a USB sync & charge cable as my dock is stuck in my office)

1. Download the iMate zip file from the 1st page

2. Install and choose a path to extract the files to (in my case C:SPVimate) then cancel the install

3. download the Greek QTEK 8080 update (again link earlier in the post)

4. Run this and choose path to extract (C:SPVgreek)

5. Download the Florin's Fixed exe (again from this forum - maybe even this topic)

6. copy the NK.nbf file FROM the imate folder, to the Greek folder - if prompted choose to overwrite

7. Copy the fixed .exe to the Greek folder

8. Put the phone to the Canary screen (turn off then hold the record button and power button - some say you must have an SD card in at this point - I did)

9. Run the file VoUpgradeUT-GR.exe in the Greek folder

10. Viola. If this failed run the fixed exe instead (again from Greek folder)

This worked for me - i cannot guarantee it will work for you and if you try it and something goes wrong please don't blame me - it is at your own risk.

Good luck!

I know realise how much I like clearType! Without it sucks big time - looks like i need to download the cleartype proggie...

Guest johnpetrucci9
Put the phone to the Canary screen (turn off then hold the record button and power button - some say you must have an SD card in at this point - I did)

IMPORTANT: At this point it is necessary to introduce the SD card.

Guest mthomas50

Update:

My 1st impressions:

1 Battery life appears much better (although i'll know more with longer testing). The battery level went from 100% to 88% overnight (12 hours) - This is a huge improvment than with the Orange 2.6.1.3 rom (at least for me) - this was with BT on and a256MB SD card in.

2 I reall miss the Orange homescreen - any suggestions on a replacement? I like the clean look with easy access to appointments/messages etc.

3 Odd one this but my camera now won't save onto my SD card(256MB Viking) yet it worked fine just 2 days ago with the Orange ROM?? It says unable to save file - if I open up File Manager the file is there but is 0K in size. If I try to delete it says failed even though the file is removed? I can read the card fine and I have checked the lock switch. Any ideas?

i'll be honest, my main concern here is number 2 (as I don't use the cam much anyway) - I've looked thru the homescreen forum but cannot find anything i'm happy with :?

Mark

Guest must50302

me too i liked the orange theme it works great.but if i have to live without it and have this great rom then so be it.i think this rom is worth not having the orange theme.i think the battery life is much better ,i am on my second day now without charging.could never do that with the new orange rom.

Guest techiezee
i cannot update my o2 x-phone to this rom everytime i try it gives error 117 incompatible image using fixed.exe from this forum. i tried to update in bootloader mode but its dont get beyond 0% and then a message says error 113 update error my rom is the original o2 rom version 1.9.11.4 please help how can I update my phone step by step. and thanx

I too have the same problem. i am using the original O2 rom. i have tried to install i-mate, orange and qtek but to no success. it says everytime ERROR 117 INVALID MODEL ID. how can i fix this. Can anyone please help me :?: :!:

Guest prmedloc
HI everyone,

I have been reading through this post all day and trying to update my E200 UK Orange phone without much success.

Will lots of persiverence, I managed to update perfectly.

... instructions

Just thought that I'd say thanks. I managed to follow these instructions and have updated my Orange E200 to the Imate version.

I found that there are two Qtek download links referenced though and only the later download worked for me (downloads a file called: RUUv2.60Inst1.9.14.1_Brightpoint_Ship_for1.7.10.2). When I used the first link, the one with the greek text, it kept getting stuck at either 0% or 10%.

Guest arman68

Worked fine here.

I upgraded from Orange UK 2.6.1.3 (?) with the 1.07.02 bootloader. What I did was use florin fixed flasher directly with the RUUv2.60Inst1.10.15.2_CDL_v1.11.15.32 update.

It took me at least 15 attempts, getting incorrect ID everytime. But suddendly it started working and went all the way through the upgrade. I did not bother to remove the battery or switch it off after the previous failed attemps.

the 2.6.5.3 gave me the same ID error.

Guest chanceu

It's pretty easy to keep your Orange home screen and color scheme. I'm not sure of the name, but on your Smartphone, in the Windows folder there should be a file named orange.scheme.xml or something similar. This file contains the settings for the Orange scheme. You will need to copy this to your PC. Edit the file using Notepad. In the file there is a tag named "background bgimage", copy the file this tag references to your PC. After the ROM upgrade, copy these two files back to the Windows folder, select the Orange scheme in settings, and that should be it.

If you have already upgraded your ROM, you can get someone that is still using the Orange ROM to post the files.

Guest G00n3r

MThomas,

Thanks for your step by step guide, it has worked perfectly on both my SPV's.

So I now have 2 SPV's, both sim/application unlocked running improved I-Mate software as opposed to Orange's own.

Well done. :D

Guest arman68
It's pretty easy to keep your Orange http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewforum.php?f=43>home screen and color scheme. ... In the file there is a tag named "background bgimage", copy the file this tag references to your PC. After the ROM upgrade, copy these two files back to the Windows folder, select the Orange scheme in settings, and that should be it.

I save the homescreen before the upgrade, but forgot the plugin. Could anyone do it for me if they are still running the orange rom?

BTW I noticed the iMate rom includes the IAStyle File Manager which was not on orange. That's very useful.

I can't get MMS to work, but then I have never used it on orange.

Guest G00n3r

Ahh... discovered a new item in the menu called MMS :D

No port settings though... :D

Anybody upgraded and getting MMS to work on Voda contract ?

Guest mthomas50
MThomas,  

Thanks for your step by step guide, it has worked perfectly on both my SPV's.  

So I now have 2 SPV's, both sim/application unlocked running improved I-Mate software as opposed to Orange's own.  

Well done.  

No Problem - glad my long weekend was useful :D

I really like this new ROM - My SPV now is useful again. I can't recommend this ROM enough - even without the Orange Homescreen :D

Guest G00n3r

Did you get MMS working though ?

There is no advanced options to allow you to choose the port ?!

That's my only gripe, but the rest of the upgrade is cool :D

Guest alphatech
For all of you who want to get this update the link is

http://www.clubimate.com/Support/RUUv2.60I...v1.11.15.32.zip

I used the Fixed.exe program from this site to update the rom on my O2 Xphone.  

And yesssssssss no more SD card bug for about 8 hours now.

excuse me !

where can I download the fixed.exe program ?

are you able to give me the link ? email [email protected]

thanks you very much !

Regards

Xphone user

Guest dparson

Thanks a million for your step by step instructions mthomas50; after several weeks of considering an update and giving up after one very basic attempt, I'm happy to report another success!

First off, here are the links to all the files being mentioned in this thread:

http://towerconsulting.biz/downloads/Greek...d.exe_Files.zip

http://www.clubimate.com/Support/RUUv2.60I...v1.11.15.32.zip

The first link is a zip file containing only the required Greek QTEK 8080 installation files and Florin's fixed.exe file. The second zip file contains the installation files for Imate's version of the Smartphone 2003 operating system (or ROM as it's often referred to here). Here's the procedure using these files:

1. Download the two zip files and extract them into separate folders.

2. Move the NK.nbf file from the Imate download into the folder where the Greek files were extracted.

3. Attach your Smartphone via the USB cable and let the ActiveSync complete.

4. Run the 'VoUpgradeUT-GR.exe' program and do your best to click the right buttons and progress through the installation wizard (most words in the wizard showed up as question marks on my version of Windows XP). Note that I didn't need Florin's fixed.exe, but I did include it in the zip file just incase.

Here's what happened on my Chinese version of the O2 Xphone at this point. After getting through the 'VoUpgradeUT-GR.exe' installation wizard successfully, my phone automatically switched to the bootloader menu (canary mode...the colorful screen you can reach by turning the phone on while holding the record button...and get out of with either the power button or by removing the phone's battery). The wizard then began sending over the installation data and a progress bar appeared in both the wizard, and on the phone. Afterwards, the wizard completed and I turned the phone off and back on. It booted up with an Imate logo and did some final install stuff. After it seemed to finish I turned the phone off and back on again, and it booted up normally, showing the default home_screen and connected to my cellular network without issue. The next day I spent several hours reinstalling programs and customizing the registry, and it's working perfectly!

// Problems this install has fixed

Problem 1:

I unknowingly purchased a Chinese version of the O2 Xphone from a distributor here in the US. After receiving the phone and switching the operating system's regional settings to 'US English', the phone still had Chinese symbols peppered throughout system menus and program windows. The Bluetooth system menus were completely unusable. With the new operating system, all text appears in your selected language (I checked US English and French).

Problem 2:

The Eleksen fabric keyboard often did not work, mainly producing 0's rather than actual letters. Switching between typing modes 123, abc, T9, etc. sometimes corrected the problem, but it was always a pain. With the new operating system the keyboard works fine, just plug it in and type. The Hotkeys and Backlight settings still don't work, but I don't think they work for anyone using Smartphone 2003 at this point (if so please let me know).

Problem 3:

Battery life was significantly cut after the installation of an SD card. The phone could get through a full work day, but power was always very low towards the end of that day. It's still too soon to give hard numbers on the battery life improvement after installation of the new operating system, but I can already see it's there. From what I've seen so far, it will have plenty of power for those longer work days, and I've had no SD card locking problems before or after the install.

So good luck to the rest of you, and thanks again mthomas50!

Guest G00n3r

My battery lasted in excess of 24 hours yesterday and it still had 2 bars remaining...!!! :D

Much better than the measily 6-8 hours previously. :lol:

Now then MThomas, get to work on the MMS :D

Guest dparson

For completeness I should mention the Imate 2 update did cause one serious problem. The camcorder function of the phone used to work, but now it doesn't. I've emailed Imate's tech support about this problem and will let everyone know what they have to say.

Guest MungoJ

Installed perfectly here on my UK E200.

Can`t comment on most of the differences as I`m still testing but I can definately say:

The phone runs much smoother and much faster.

The poor quality sound when recording video is GONE!! I have perfect audio in my vid clips now.

What I need to resolve:

Orange Homescreen - I want it back

Orange Update - I want it back

Internet and MMS setting - I want them too

Looking good so far though and have also checked that I can revert to the latest official Orange ROM in case I need to return the phone.

Guest welio

Imate rom is the best i've tried so far... but there's still a problem wirth video recording... it simply doesn't record video... audio is perfect but the video stops playing back after 1 sec...

Any solution?

thanks

Guest HuskerDu
Imate rom is the best i've tried so far... but there's still a problem wirth video recording... it simply doesn't record video... audio is perfect but the video stops playing back after 1 sec...

Any solution?

thanks

Don"t have this issue on my Qtek 8080. You mean that in preview mode the captured .avi file plays just for 1 sec? What if you press Menu-->Play ?

Guest welio

no, I mean that the file will play, but the video is stuck at the first frame, while the audio will play along... the same if I copy the file on my pc... so it's a problem of the recorder...

with qtek rom I didn't have this problem...

Guest HuskerDu
no, I mean that the file will play, but the video is stuck at the first frame, while the audio will play along... the same if I copy the file on my pc... so it's a problem of the recorder...

with qtek rom I didn't have this problem...

I meant, i got a Qtek 8080 with the latest i-mate rom... :D