Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest jpearn

Hi,

I've tried running this from my SD card on my E200 and it just locks up the phone completely ?? Any specifics as to where it should be ran, etc. ?? Using the latest version above,

Thanks

Jason.

Guest bitbank

I've just uploaded a new build (0.03) with the following changes:

1) Fixed the keypad tone on/off problem (I hope)

2) Added option to keep the phone from sleeping / light off

3) Improved both GG and GBC performance

4) Fixed some GG games which people reported were not working.

As always you can download it here:

www.bitbanksoftware.com/downloads/smartgear.zip

Please send any feedback / feature requests to [email protected]

P.S. I always run it from my SD card, so that is not the problem.

Guest mugenakuma

I have an MPX200 with the 02 generic rom and have been running this emu and games ALL off the SD card.

Must be a phone compatibility issue?

Guest bitbank

I have integrated the NES code, but it needs a major performance boost and the scaled graphics code. I never really optimized this code, so I am sure there is plenty of room for improvement. The EXE size is now 227K (not bad for 3 emulators in one). I will keep you posted as to my progress...

Larry B.

Guest durk1482

It must have been an enormous work to manually make a damn good optimized and fully working emulator for the GB© and GG! My respect :P

I tried your latest build but the sound on "Zelda: Oracle of Ages" and "Zelda: Oracle of Seasons" is still much to fast.

Guest bitbank

I have done some optimizations and now my NES emulator runs at full speed on the MPx200 (without graphics shrink), so now to work on the graphics...

One problem I've discovered is the code which regulates the frame rate is not doing a good job when the machine is just slightly faster than needed. I will hopefully come up with a fix for this too.

L.B.

Guest bitbank

Download the new build (0.04) from the same spot:

http://www.bitbanksoftware.com/downloads/smartgear.zip

I've integrated the NES code and done a quiick-n-dirty graphics shrink routine which isn't too ugly. The code is still a bit slow, so I still need to do more optimizations, but it runs quicker than SmartNES. With throttling off and frameskip on (30fps) it seems to run OK on my MPx200.

Unfortunately the MPx200 with SP2003 is the only device I have to test on.

The NES module supports the following mappers:

0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 16, 19, 64, 65, 66, 68, 70, 87, 116, 160, 180

The graphics shrink routine needs to be changed. Currently it takes each 4x4 grid of pixels and turns it into a 3x3 grid with the following technique:

00 01 02 03 00 01 (02+03)

10 11 12 13 --> 10 11 (12+13)

20 21 22 23 (20+30) (21+31) (22+23+32+33)

30 31 32 33

Basically the pixels making up the right and lower edge of the 4x4 box are averaged with the neighboring pixels. Crude, but effective.

I really don't think it's worth doing the shrunken graphics SMS or NES on the smartphone. It's hard enough to see the pixels on the phone when the image is displayed at 100% scale. I think the GameBoy and GameGear cover a large range of good games that make sense to play on the smartphone. Thoughts?

Larry B.

Guest dnavarro77

Bitbank, great job. To tell you the truth, I LOVE the way SmartNES implemented landscape mode, I can hardly tell the difference from regular normal view. Maybe they don't do much mapping, it is not really the screen size that is stretched in SmartNES, because there are black bars on the sides. The benefit to ALOT of gamers in my opinion is to be able to use the controller this way. People with large hands (and others) have trouble with the "thin" setup using normal view. Please leave this mode as an option! It makes or breaks the emulator IMHO. Your emulator already kicks A$$ as far as speed and sound. I really want to play it in landscape so I can use those controls more effectively! I can't wait for the full release! Thx,

D

Guest dnavarro77

One other note, I do find myself playing NES games that aren't available on the other consoles. Don't get me wrong, I play GB and GG also, but I love the NES titles just as much. If you can support NES (in landscape too!) for us retro gamers we would be in your debt. Thx again for all the hard work.

D

Guest deagle
Download the new build (0.04) from the same spot:

The graphics shrink routine needs to be changed.  Currently it takes each 4x4 grid of pixels and turns it into a 3x3 grid with the following technique:

00 01 02 03          00 01 (02+03)

10 11 12 13   -->  10 11 (12+13)

20 21 22 23          (20+30) (21+31) (22+23+32+33)

30 31 32 33

Basically the pixels making up the right and lower edge of the 4x4 box are averaged with the neighboring pixels.  Crude, but effective.

Larry B.

So obviously it will cause distortion:)Every one 4*4 pixels need 7 "ADD"--fast.I wander if simply cut the:

03 13 23 30 31 32 33 would make it ugly .

00 01 02 03 00 01+02/2 03

10 11 12 13 --> 10+20/2 11+12+21+22/4 13+23/2

20 21 22 23 30 31+32/2 33

30 31 32 33

this transformation also need 7 "ADD",to avoid the distortion,a 1/2 or 1/4 gene is multiplied.

Larry,I do not know if it might help you.

Guest dnavarro77

After testing the NES version of the emulator...all looks ok. The only glitch is the sound, all NES games have a low rumble to them that is absent from the other emulators. It is not always at the games beginning, somtimes it starts at the beginning of a level, other times on the title screen. The other emulators have perfect sound. This was tested on a Samsung i600. Thx,

D

Guest bitbank

deagle,

I've written a good 75% shrink routine which properly averages the pixels to get a nice looking result. This takes a bit more time and will slow things down. I released this "ugly" version to allow some feedback on the NES module such as compatibility, speed and mapper support. I need to concentrate on optimization for now and then will revisit the graphics issue.

Thanks,

L.B.

Guest agent.m

the main nes games worked a treat apart from one which had messed up graphic. tried the sms games and part of the right hand side of the screen moves to the left. :P

Guest Coolbox

On a spvclassic the nes-games run slow and the sound is very noisy. Can you somehow make it run better....you talked about slowing it down on fast phones...does this slowdown run on all phones so that can be the reason...? If you can't I am still impressed by the gameboy and gamegear so that just great!!

And about the landscape....yes that would be very nice cause it is difficult to play more than 5 minutes else.... :wink:

Can you tell anything about the release date???

I would like to by a serial now if possible.

Guest gravity

Hi while I think it will make the overall package look better for the non average customer, I do not feel that a NES emulator should be devoted this much time. We already have a NES emulator that works flawlessly so if there's a developer out there who is willing to work on emulators, work on the ones that currently don't work too well on Smartphone. While it would be convenient to have all these emulators in one package I just feel that Bitbank shouldn't need to focus his efforts on a system that's already been emulated to near perfection.

Thanks for the new build, BitBank. I have a few queries, though:

1. Although the NES engine was excellent, some VRC4 Games (Akumajou Denetsu) were missing the extra sound layer. Do you still plan on adding the extra sound channel to the engine?

2. Any plans for an FDS (Famicom Disk System) add-on for the emu?

3. Several games on my E100 have had corrupted sounds (sporadic static noise), particularly GBC games that are > 16M. Is this an issue of the memory/cache size of my phone?

Guest De-GeXte

Hey i love the emulator and i think when it is finished i will buy it too ( if not too expensive :P )

Ohw i found a little problem: after i played a game all the icons in my start menu lose their alpha channel and transparency.

ss001.jpg

ss000.jpg