Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Bitbank,

So far so good, you are doing an incredible job. Fast (ASM coded) emulation is the outcome for smartphone and as soon as you'll finish a GB, NES, SNES and Genesis package (amongst others) I think the whole community would love to test it. Also, please bear in mind that _many_ smartphone emu users are in fact the guys playing those games back then as kids, and that they can easily afford to buy those emus off of you for a necessary amount of dollars. Keep up the good work, I'm almost sure you will be able to commercially get these emus sold.

Cheers

M. Troni

Guest bitbank

Just wanted to share a status update:

I've still got a ways to go before it will be ready to do a public beta test, but here's how things are shaping up so far...

The test devices are an iPAQ h1910 (200Mhz PXA-250), Motorola MPX200, SPV C500 and an SPV C550 (these are all relatively slow devices, so these are good for performance testing).

GameBoy/GBC - runs full speed (no frameskip) on 176x220 devices. With image scaled (with smoothing) to 240x216 for PPC and QVGA smartphones, it runs at frameskip 1.

GameGear/SMS - basically the same situation as the GB/GBC

NES - runs at full speed; most mappers work, sound needs some improvement

TG16/PC-Engine - runs some games nicely at frameskip 1 with stereo sound. It looks like I may need to do game-specific patches to get all of the good games to run at full speed. The problem here is the 7Mhz huc6280 and the hicolor (16bpp) display. Most games waste the majority of their CPU cycles doing nothing and I've got some code in place to recover the wasted cycles, but some games make it difficult.

Genesis - not fast enough on the 200Mhz devices. If I eliminate sound emulation, then it has a fighting chance, but that's not much fun.

SNES - not working well enough to do much, especially on a 200Mhz device.

L.B.

Thx for the update, it's allways good to hear news.

As i said i dont care about sound in 16bits, all signs seems to proove that is not possible on spv.

Anyway take your time

Guest bitbank

OK guys, here's something to play with. I am looking for feedback on the overall design and games which don't work properly. This build supports GameGear/SMS,GB/GBC,NES and PC-Engine. There are still many know limitations and problems, so please look at the list below before telling me about them:

Known problems:

1) Save/Load game state not properly implemented - don't bother using it

2) Volume control not implemented yet

3) TG16 titles (there are only a few) are not supported, only PC-Engine (Japanese hardware). I think there were only 6 TG16 titles, so not much of a limitation.

4) I have increased the "unregistered" play time to 4 minutes at a time.

5) I have not added the kludge to get the SPV C500 (aka SMT5600) to work properly. I will have it soon (you'll see a few frames draw, then the image will stop changing).

6) No installer yet, just copy the EXE to your device and run it.

Here's the good stuff:

I wrote some nice 150% smooth scaling code in ARM asm, so GameGear and GameBoy titles look great on QVGA devices.

I built a PPC2000 exe that should run on the majority of Pocket PCs. The other exe is built for Smartphone 2003. It runs everything nicely on my slow h1910.

I tested the code on a MPX200 (132Mhz OMAP) and GameGear + GBC titles run at full speed with no frameskip. NES titles run nicely, but TG16 titles run too slow. This may improve in the next build. The PC-Engine runs at full speed with sound (frameskip 1) on every other device I've tried (including the h1910).

Enjoy,

Larry B.

P.S. For those of you who are not familiar with the PC-Engine/TG16, I suggest you give it a try. Lots of good looking games that run great. BTW My TG16 emu runs about 6X faster than MorphGear (ASM is nice isn't it :) ). Let me know if any games run too slowly.

smartgear.zip

Edited by bitbank

OK guys, here's something to play with.  I am looking for feedback on the overall design and games which don't work properly.  This build supports GameGear/SMS,GB/GBC,NES and PC-Engine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good work ! amazing speed, but many NES wont work

-Bomberman2 refuse to walk ??? but plays fine

-Garfield crashes during play

-Kirby's Adventure Nes strangely dont work ? this one play fine usually

I also had a micromachines that crashes, dont remember version but damn ! i need this game.

On PC engine Bonk Adventure got few bad sounds

Rtype seems written out of screen ?

Wonderboy 2 (in monsterland) cant see the character ARG i love this game (I used the french translated hacked rom...)

Yes, I found the Wonderboy2 french on SMS, this one works great.

However all my fav games from the nonqvga versions are still working ... good work

Edited by ninjaw

Guest kevinsephiroth

very good work.

one question, if i register at handango, will the register key be useable to register again in the future updates??

why pokémon yellow doesn't show image of the screen game? cause the sound works, although....

and do you planify to work on some filter rendering? (anti aliasing etc?)

Guest bitbank

Kaspers,

I will include more video options in future builds (including 90 and 270 degree rotation)

kevinsephiroth,

Thanks for pointing out the problem with Pokemon Yellow. I corrected it. I'll have several other fixes in the next release. When I finally release it, the registration code will work on current and future releases.

Please keep the error reports coming. I'm fiddling with the Genesis code now and it's running pretty well.

After so many people complained about the loss of SmartGear, I'm surprised how few have downloaded the new version. Please try it and post feedback here.

Thanks,

L.B.

How much does it cost to register and where do I register?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bitbank,

I'm very eager to test smartgear however, as you don't seem to have implemented SPV C500 support yet, I'm eagerly looking forward to a version that will run on my SPV c500......

Keep up the good work though, I already say the emu at a friend of mine and it really looks promising (GB, SMS, GG and NES.....)

Cheers

M. Troni

Guest Kaspers
I'm very eager to test smartgear however, as you don't seem to have implemented SPV C500 support yet, I'm eagerly looking forward to a version that will run on my SPV c500......

Cheers

M. Troni

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Huh :)

Here it works fine on my c500 8).

Guest Jamma14
old smartgear already works really great on spv1-500 but very hard to find

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I imagine it is since the original releases were only demos that should have expired by now. :exclaim:

Guest kevinsephiroth
kevinsephiroth,

Thanks for pointing out the problem with Pokemon Yellow.  I corrected it.  I'll have several other fixes in the next release.  When I finally release it, the registration code will work on current and future releases.

Please keep the error reports coming.  I'm fiddling with the Genesis code now and it's running pretty well.

Thanks,

L.B.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

where do we find the updated releases? cause i tried the same rom of pokémon yellow on gnuboy and it didn't work. Re-downloaded it and no souci. Seems it was a bad dump. Now, how can we get a full version of your emu, cause i'm eager to play some gg games.

Nevertheless, good job. :)

Guest bitbank

I haven't released a newer build yet. I'd like to include several fixes at a time before I release new code to minimize how many times everyone has to install it.

L.B.

I haven't released a newer build yet.  I'd like to include several fixes at a time before I release new code to minimize how many times everyone has to install it.

L.B.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could you please include C500 support again then?

I'd love to help you while testing the emu.

Cheers

M. Troni

Guest Kaspers
Could you please include C500 support again then?

I'd love to help you while testing the emu.

Cheers

M. Troni

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where are you talking about ? Smartgear works here fine with nes roms..

Or do I have an old version or something..

Guest 171235_1437909563
Where are you talking about ? Smartgear works here fine with nes roms..

Or do I have an old version or something..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hello

excuse me, but the link of the archive isn't working at the first page...

can somebody give me the link to the latest version please ?

bitbank can you please edit the first page

if this has already been asked, I'm sorry, I didn't have the time to look in the topic...

Guest bitbank

éron,

The new link is on page 11 of this thread.

I think it's time to start a new thread.

I'm working on some fixes for all of the emulators, but I want to get the load/save game functionality working before I release a new build.

L.B.

Guest 171235_1437909563
éron,

The new link is on page 11 of this thread.

I think it's time to start a new thread.

I'm working on some fixes for all of the emulators, but I want to get the load/save game functionality working before I release a new build.

L.B.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i don't know at the moment if it works, but the file association is important to add for your new build :)

thx for your answer bitbank !

Guest bitbank

éron,

Excellent suggestion. I'll add file association support too.

Question...

How important is Desktop PC support? What I'm asking is ... are you guys interested in a Desktop PC version of SmartGear?

Please let me know because it's not hard to do.

L.B.

Guest wildcardspv

Firstly, great work on the emu for smartphone - I'd probably buy that once its available as i have many sms games for it. Its graphics and speed are fantastic and the sound is the best i've heard on any smartphone emu (also sound doesnt slow gameplay down)

A Desktop Pc version may be cool, however if you havent already, try to check out 'freezeSMS' which is an emu for master system/gamegear with great graphics and sound - in my opinion you'd have to improve on that.

Keep up the good work my friend.

WildcardSPV