New Plugin: SmartMonitor 0.9.6.0 [Updated 15/11/2004]

Guest drfonz

Guest Skunkchild

@ Lasher

Instead of specifying the font colours with absolute colour references like "#000000", use values like "COLOR_STATICTEXT" or "COLOR_BTNTEXT" to pick up the colours used in your main homescreen xml or the 'Colour Scheme' you select from the homescreen settings menu. HTH

Guest Jerry Raia
@ Lasher  

Instead of specifying the font colours with absolute colour references like "#000000", use values like "COLOR_STATICTEXT" or "COLOR_BTNTEXT" to pick up the colours used in your main homescreen xml or the 'Colour Scheme' you select from the homescreen settings menu. HTH

Thanks for the suggestion, i tried both of those as well as taking out the color reference completely. The color wont change. With no reference it stays black.

Guest scott2eyes
Very sorry if I am asking the obvious, but  I am new to smartphones and xml coding (bought mpx220 last week). I am trying to customize my today's page with mixed results... I have been able to copy/paste a few http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>plugins and make them work, but so far no success with the SmartMonitor. Also, instead of displaying the "mru", I have been trying to display specific shortcuts on my screen, no success as well.

Could it be a limitation with my phone or the homescreen I am using (I started my homescreen from full.home.xml)?  

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Does the SmartMonitors default homescreen work for you? (It should automatically install when you install the plugin, and will show up as "SmartMonitor" in the Homescreen menu.)

For specific shortcuts on your homescreen, try RemyJ's RJShortcut plugin (can be found at smartphone.peakin.com)

For general help with modifying homescreen XML, try the link in my sig.

[/shameless plug]

Guest dupasquier

McHale, Scott2eyes, thank you very much for your help.

I finally achieved the installation of the 2 plugings (RemyJ's RJShortcut and Smartmonitors), many thanks as well to DrFonz and to RemyJ for their great plugins.

I didn't know that I needed to install the respective cab file into my phone in order for the pluging to work... So I could keep trying to modify the plugin in my xml page for ever!!

Don't really know if this is normal, but my homescreen is now considerably slower...

Thanks again.

Guest nickcornaglia

Has anyone noticed being unable to lock the phone by holding down the end key. I am also unable to lock via the powerbutton shortcut.

I'm not blaming the plugin...I'm just trying to figure out what is causing the problem.

If I turn the phone off and on it works again...but then not later. Anyone else? If not, I'll ask this in another thread.

Guest Skunkchild

@ encece

Stuff like that has happened to me before, always solved with a quick restart. I tend to find that if I change homescreens more than a few times then the phone can also lock up. Not had any lasting affects.

@ encece

Yes. This also happens to me but only when this plugin is in use, I use CoolBlue as a home screen so changed to CB2 when it came out, all was good till that problem started, so Ive switched back. Oh and it seems to happen with the other homescreen with this plug (that I can use on my E200)

Guest Powerfull

I have the same problem than you encece, it's seem to be a XML problem, I made multiple tests to find the problem and I don't find the solution for the moment.

The problem appears after more than 2 hours of inactivity, and the phone is completely unusable and must be restarted.

If I find the origin of the problem, I will post the solution.

I am experiencing the same problem with this plugin.

When I watch the Memory (can be showed using this plugin), when I start up the phone, the memory used was around 44% but it grew up after a while. I already setting up the plugin to refresh every 5 minutes but after 2 hour the memory used is already around 56%. Could it be the one that causing the behaviour?

My phone was fine if I don't use this plugin on the homescreen. May be there is some memory management problem with the plugin. drfonz maybe can test it to find the real problem.

Thanks

Hi guys!

Can you tell me which version are you running?

From the sounds of it, if it's a time issue, I'd be tempted to blame the AutoRefresh code, which, to tell you the truth I'm not happy with because I had to get around loads of "issues" with the design decisions taken by the Homescreen engineers at Microsoft.

For now, if you want to fix it, I'd suggest setting refresh="0" since this will disable the autorefresh code completely.

Sorry about this, but it's very difficult to get a handle on things when you have to fight against dodgy implementations and flaky documentation... Not that I'm blaming anybody other than myself, of course ^_^

Cheers!

Dr Fonz

By the way, the reason why memory is going down is a silly one (my fault). I have some debugging information being generated,and I thought I'd enabled this only for the debug build of the code, but silly me, I left it on the Release build! That'll teach me to RTFM better next time ^_^ To free up the memory, delete the "Windowshome_log.txt". Although a restart will do this automaticaly for you.

I will be releasing a new version later on today. It has a few new features and fixes, and another surprise feature (Skunkchild know what it is) that at the minute doesn't work because of bloody dodgy implementation of libraries in SP OS... I'm really getting to hate how difficult getting around this issues is (and how much of my time it takes to fix them) :D

Watch this space...

Dr Fonz

That one is certainly in, but is not the one I'm talking about... ^_^

By the way, there seems to be a problem with the C500 liking this. It works fine in the Emulator, but it all goes pearshape in the actual phone.

I'll leave it like this in the next release,and will investigate further.

I will be releasing tomorrow, because I still have one tiny detail left to iron in this "other feature" I'm working on...

Cheers!

Dr Fonz

Has anyone noticed being unable to lock the phone by holding down the end key. I am also unable to lock via the powerbutton shortcut.

I'm not blaming the plugin...I'm just trying to figure out what is causing the problem.

If I turn the phone off and on it works again...but then not later. Anyone else? If not, I'll ask this in another thread.

I installed this plugin on my qtek and got same problem after installing

Dear all,

it has taken a while, but I've managed to find the time to release the next version of SmartMonitor.

Updating to this one is a must if you want to get rid of those pesky memory leaks that were causing havoc on certain phones. I can't guarantee that they are all gone, but I've done my best to clean my act ^_^ And hey, not even MS can vouch for leak-free code in their shop, so I'm not going to pretend to be better than them :D

So, what's new:

:arrow: Memory leak problems resolved (as far as I could test)

:arrow: Fixed issues with using "normal" as "font-weight" this now works (again)

:arrow: New "decimal" attribute to print tags as either a decimal or a whole number

:arrow: New element to display your phone's signal strength as a percentage

:arrow: New "signal-strength" to match the above

:arrow: Many other minor additions and fixes

So, get downloading, and enjoy!

Dr Fonz