========================================

Released.......[18 December 2004]

Updated........[Never]

Version........[1.0]

Typo's?........[Plenty!]

Link Updated...[March 2007]

========================================

Hi,

I had so many problems getting ActiveSync to work using Bluetooth that when I eventually did get it working, I decided to write a guide or 'how-to'. This will hopefully be useful to you all, as it would appear that I'm not the only one who struggled to get this working...

The guide makes use of Windows XP SP2's native Bluetooth driver and the Orange SPV C500. Your mileage will vary.

Screenshots are included in the guide [document is in .pdf format].

>> DOWNLOAD THE GUIDE HERE <<

Edited by gaplayer26

Guest Confucious

A good guide - I'm sure it will help many people.

A couple of points, if you create the ports on the phone first, when you pair with the PC it will automatically create the incoming port so you don't need to do this first.

The Inbound port on the phone (COM6) does not need to be enabled, only the outbound port (COM7) does.

In your example the incoming port on the PC is COM7 which is the same as the outbound port on the phone, this does not have to be and indeed, usually is not, the case.

A problem lots of people face is where the incoming port on the PC is allocated a port number > 9 as ActiveSync will not recognise it. To change it Under Control Panel -> Phone and Modem Options-> Modem select "Standard Modem over BlueTooth link", click properties->Advanced tab click " Advanced Port Settings" select the drop down box for Port number. In here you will see a list of ports lots of which might have (In Use) by them. Select a port (between 3 and 9) that you know is NOT in use (even if it says it is) and click through all the warnings that your PC might explode and cause world war 3 if you do so. When you have done this turn BT OFF on the phone and restart the PC. When the PC has restarted turn BT back ON on the phone and all should work.

Another common problem is when people reboot there PC with BT turned ON on the phone. ActiveSync will then not recognise the phone. BT should only be turned ON on the phone after the PC has finished booting.

Off the top of my head these are the most common problems not covered in your guide (but it's a good start, thanks) but I'm sure there are many others that people will come across!

One other thing - In ActiveSync->Menu->Options->PC_Settings->Menu->Advanced the connection type can be left at USB and the phone will use either USB or BT. If it is set to Bluetooth (which it has to be for your excellent utility) then the USB connection does not work for ActiveSync.

HTH

Keep up the good work.

Edited by Confucious

Guest gaplayer26
Thanks very much for the guide! 

but I have a problem when I try to sync with 2 pc with bluetooth, is it possible? if yes, I will try again... 

thanks.

I'm sorry but I have no experience with this yet :)

Maybe someone else can help?

Guest gaplayer26
One other thing - In ActiveSync->Menu->Options->PC_Settings->Menu->Advanced the connection type can be left at USB and the phone will use either USB or BT. If it is set to Bluetooth (which it has to be for your excellent utility) then the USB connection does not work for activeSync.

hmm, I must admit I've had a few 'strange ones' with this. I have definitely found that I sometimes have to set it to 'Bluetooth' or I get a 'Connection is in use error message'. Changing the connection type to 'Bluetooth' (from USB) sorts it out. However, I do agree that this does not *have* to be the case and find that most of the time it can be safely left at USB.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply and useful input! - I'll make some changes/additions to the guide and upload...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest themoff

Magic - this worked an absolute treat :D

I had spent the apparently obligatory 3 hours tearing my hair out over this stupid BT/ActiveSync thing :roll:

Many thanks for the clear to follow guide.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rich-UK

gaplayer26, you Sir, are a genius. =D>

I have been trying the get ActiveSync working over BlueTooth for months. I have tried everything I've read on here and other forums. Your manual worked first time.

:D

I battled with this for over half an hour, then found and followed your guide. Worked like a charm. If I was a chick, I'd want to have your babies, if I had been able to figure this out from the existing resources I found via google and forum search, it sure would have taken a hell of a lot longer. Your guide rocks, much obliged to you sir.

Garth,

Thanks for the outstanding guide for configuring ActiveSync to work with BlackAndBlueTooth :lol: I was able to get up and running within an hour! All of your fellow sufferers appreciate the time you took to figure this out, document the results and share it with us!

Ted

Guest babydoll_uk34

I spent about 10 hours trying to get this to work and then found this brilliant guide.

Thank you for working it out and sharing it with us.

:lol: :( :D

Guest luvbigg04

Good, guide I've got it to work ONCE!

I've tried it again, but i cannot open active sync to look for the com port.

I have to plu the usb cable to get it to initialise, therefore this guide is no good for me.

WTF can't you just go enble bluetooth, go find the fuc*er?

Fu*king Microsoft.

This takes me back to when certain modems used to use virtual com ports, that was a nightmare as well, as the instructions never worked for them either!

Talk abot 1 step 4ward 2 steps back, this is fu8king stoopid.

Guest Confucious
Good, guide I've got it to work ONCE!

I've tried it again, but i cannot open active sync to look for the com port.

What do you mean you cannot open ActiveSync?

What do you mean you cannot open ActiveSync?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He might be referring to the fact that you cannot edit ASync's connection properties unless a partnership already exists - a fact which just led me to saw chunks of my SPVE100 cradle to get the damn thing to connect to my e200.

You need to have connected the phone to the pc by another means (establish partnership) before you can access the connection properties to change the COM port number. Took me an hour to work it out!

I found that when I make a call (spv e200) the phone automatically disconnects the partnership - but does not disconnect active sync. I don't quite know why. The phone thinks it's disconnected but the pc does not.

To get the phone to connect to the pc via bluetooth again automatically, try ruttensoft's disconnect active sync app - it works for me; I shut down ASync and then the pc & phone find each other again straight away! Silly but seems to work.

Edited by NikLP

Guest nick123
Thanks very much for the guide!

but I have a problem when I try to sync with 2 pc with bluetooth, is it possible? if yes, I will try again...

thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all I should thank Garth for such a thorough job in assuring that we can all connect to Activesync via bluetooth. It's certainly 'bullet-proof', but you have to jump through hoops to get there. I must have been lucky: I have an XP SP2 and a C500, and got connected in seconds by following the instruction on the phone, starting at Activesync/menu/Setup BT ActiveSync...and just following the prompts. There was (and still is) no need to activate the Configurations/BT serialPortSetup (inbound port com 6). However, the big difference may have been that I had already used the PC before to make a BT Activesync connection to my iPAQ. I can now connect by BT to either the C500 or the iPAQ, with Activesync listening on com 4. I do actually have com 6 inbound port active on the phone, but this is reserved for Pocket Slides so I can use the phone as a remote control for powerpoint presentations on the iPAQ.

Now to answer Zerod's question:

Two devices with one PC works fine, but 2 PC's with one device is tricky. Yes, it's possible, but you have to go through what I've explained above each time you switch from one PC to the other....it seems the phone can only handle one PC identity at a time. It isn't very practical, so I use BT at home and the cable for for the connection in the office.

I'm sure some clever spark could write a piece of software to do this for us......who is going to take up the challenge??

Nick

You mean the one in the task bar on the PC? Do you hace a BT dongle on the PC running WinXP SP2?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A dam i dont have windows xp sp2,is that the problem then?

Guest Confucious
A dam i dont have windows xp sp2,is that the problem then?

SP2 has built in BT drivers if youn don't have it you have to use the drivers that came with your dongle.