How to perform a Hard Reset

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Here's how to do it! (Of course, it clears everything on your phone!)

:shock:

- Remove the battery and wait 5 seconds. Replace the battery

- Press and Hold voice recorder button (below the power button on the left-hand side)

- Power-on the device

- The device will enter a special power-up mode

- "Card found" will be displayed on the screen

- Shortly after you will receive two options: "Press any key to enter boot loader" and "Press action button to enter diag mod"

- Press and hold the Action button

- After a few seconds a menu will be displayed

- Select "Erase IPSM" and wait for the screen to display "PASSED"

- Then move to the left with the navigation button and select "END"

- A screen with three colours will be displayed

You may now remove and replace the battery and perform a normal power up

Note: This may take several minutes

P

Guest Paul [MVP]

Heh, i'm afraid it doesn't remove the SIM lock - it simply resets the phone to the Out Of The Box state.

Beware, it takes a while to do... don't panic!

P

Guest alanclose
Heh, i'm afraid it doesn't remove the SIM lock - it simply resets the phone to the Out Of The Box state.

Beware, it takes a while to do... don't panic!

:? pity - that would have been nice

Xavier

I second that. Just performed a hard reset. My phone is buggered now.

I did NOT have memory card in the phone. It might save info to the card while performing IPMS. Then I load BootDiag.

4 more options appear:

0. Save All

2. Save CE

4. Save GSM

6. Save IPSM

8. Erase IPSM (as it was)

It will not save Win CE on mem.card. (FAILED)

When I boot the phone it shows 'Orange' screen and then stops responding. Light goes off. RIP

So I am off to the shop tomorrow. Bugger.

Ignore the previous line!!!! Viva la Ukraine!!!!

I waited, and waited and my patience seemed to have paid off.. it proceeded to Smartphone 2002 Boot Screen.

(We are live on air gentlemen - I am actually doing it now)

Still took some time, and the second boot took a bit as well, but it works.

All the settings are ERASED!!!

Reinstalling all soft too.

Good luck!!

Guest hotphil

I think I remember reading somewhere that a hard reset seems to improve the phone's calibration of battery life, so am thinking of doing it. I don't mind reverting to an out-of-the-box state as I've backed up most stuff on the PC in some form or other. Can anyone tell me what'll happen to the GPRS update I had to get from Orange? Will I have to ring them and get it sent again, or is it a SIM thing that will be unaffected by the reset?

Phil

Guest fbianchi

stupid phone,

do hard rest as posted, it founds a card and instead of the menu, screen is blank !!!!

we must take off the plastic card :::::: for the phone it is a sd card !!!!!!

ps : i will try to put mp3 on it but i am not sure it will work (joke...)

It took me a while before I could enter the BootDiag menu. I mistook 'action key' for the top-left button on the phone. Well... to my surprise it was the one in the middle of 4way controls - pretty stupid on my side.. :shock:

IPSM folder is the system folder. If you remove you will not be able to do much. It IS possible to restore the IPSM from a backup using the engineering menu, but please, don't erase it without having a backup on the SD card.

Notably, you will need a bigger SD than the 8Mb supplied.

How many do you think O have had to replace because people have been f**king around in there without really knowing what they're doing?

Guest flotulopex

I tried a hard reset and now I don't see the Orange image at startup anymore.

Instead of this, a list of 6-7 parameters shows up and after a while, the boot sequence proceeds normaly displaying the Microsoft Smartphone logo.

Something wrong with this?

How do I reset the phone to have it as "out of the box"?

Did a hard reset - almost shitted myself when it would not do anything for about 15min... Then it was fine... Though I still have Orange startup screen when I boot it.. I don't want the bloody thing.. Would much prefer the techy startup... More like a decent device..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Torque_79

Performed a hard reset two hours ago. I was getting i little conserned, when absolutely nothing happened for a couple of minutes, but my patience paid off :D

My god, this has helped a great deal! My spv was getting pretty slow, and this has boosted the menuspeed alot!

Works great :(

Guest rammy121

i did a hard reset, for some reason, the signal indicator seems to be imroved - coincidence ? but it does seem to be more effifcient or is it again . . . coincidence??? rammy. :wink:

worked a treat, the battery seems to last longer and I seem to get more signal in my area(used to be 1bar now 2/3 bars)

Does anyone know where I can get pvplayer so I can view Ananova videos and IA Album as I don't see why we should have to pay for it as all camera phones have this type software as standard.

Does anyone know where I can get pvplayer so I can view Ananova videos and IA Album as I don't see why we should have to pay for it as all camera phones have this type software as standard.

WHAT!?!

For a start you can use the camera without any other software. No it's not easy and a pain, but that's why you pay for better software.

You can argue that Orange should include better software in the first place, but what's the point in punishing IA for their mistake? Also you didn't pay much for the phone (anything from £0 to £129) so maybe they would have included better software if they charged more. But then I'm guessing people like you would've moaned about that too.

IA have made a good product and they deserve to make money out of it - either from phone licensing it or from you. They've even given a demo for Christs sake so you don't have to part with you hard earned cash before testing.

Software piracy causes higher software prices in the long run. If you are going to steal then steal, but don't try to blame others for your faults.

Barry

That's OK then. Steal away. I'm sure it'll stand up in court.

I'm also sure the lives of other ownes will also be improved no end:

1) More expensive software to cover the cost of others.

2) Less software - who wants to develop if there's no money?

3) Pain in the ass registration and licencing issues.

Barry, you from HandanGo/Orange?? Why do you take this so personally?!? Your points are pretty valid, but where did the last post come from?? I was just saying that Orange takes a lot of money either way, so the fact that they save £10 (that's the most it would be for preinstalled IA) on the camera utility is a bit daft!

Personally the camera is not a big deal and is just a nice thing to have as an add-on to the phone.. And yes, IA are doing a good job - but noone is slating them for it. So what was all that about stealing away??