How do you set up spv for dial-up access?

Guest kevlar

I'm on an old orange contract, everyday 50. Apparently on this tariff you can ring 0845 numbers for data calls and they will come out of your free minutes ( 50 off peak everyday ! ). This could be usefull when gprs goes full price. How do I set up the phone to dial up one of these 0845 numbers for data calls?. I've been through all the options in settings>data call but none of them let you put a number in. Anyone know?

cheers

Kevlar

Guest Danlance

I'm using everday 50 for data calls...

Settings:

Data Connections:

Menu : Edit Connections

Dial Up Connections:

Menu : Add

Fill in all details - make sure connect to: points to internet...

HTH

Guest Danlance

No, you don't have to speak to orange about it, though you might want to get them to enable HSCD (modem speed access instead of GSM speed) - which they (accidently) did for me for free...

I was never signed up to the unlimmited GPRS package - they never put it on so I didn't ask for it - thought id see what it was like via dialup first - and on the basis that I can't miss what i've never had, i've kept it that way - besides which it save me £6 a month (1/2 as much again onto my phone bill...)

Everyday50 gives reduced rates for 0845 dialup access outside of free time aswell - 10p peak 2p off peak, which together with 50 free minutes every night works out much better value than orange's full price GPRS offerings...

• 4 months later...
Guest luigiperez

Hi Guys!

I am trying to set my SPV for dial up connection to the internet. I have done what you said about it but I have still the simbol with the G when I connect to the Internet Explorer and I am afraid that is because the phone is still using the GPRS connection (I phone to Orange yesterday to disable it but it still have the G!!!). Do you know what should I do? What do I have to put in the Domain field when configuring it???

Please heeeeelp meeeeee!!! :roll:

Cheers in advance!!

Luis

Guest caio1

in settings -> data connection -> internet connection, instead of "automatic" choose the name of you dialup connection.

If you leave automatic the spv will use: pass through connection (activesync) then gprs then dialup.

Caio

Guest Big Ron - No Longer a Mem

But beware. Not every ISP accepts incoming calls from mobiles (easily identifiable because of the standard network prefixes) GPRS gets around the need for an ISP portal to the network. But if you use CSD to make the connection, you MUST have an ISP's dialup number, and generally an a/c with an ISP that accepts incoming calls from a mobile. The Freeserve "No Ties" 0845 number works, and so does BT Click. Orange won't give you the BT Click number (although a few 156'ers might, if they're in a good mood and suspect they might get away with it.) it's +4408457576333 Make a note of it - you might need it! ANY username, ANY Password, so long as they're at least four characters. No need to set up an account with an ISP - just fill in the dialup number, username and password on your phone. That's kind of a handy backup to have available, even if you're a GPRS user - when there's no GPRS coverage... you're screwed.

Guest Gorskar

I think using a geographic number is preferable though, as when your 50mins have run out, the bill starts to mount up quite quickly at 5p/min

With a geographic number its just 1p/min after your 50mins have run out. I used to use this with btinternet (now btopenworld)'s international PTSN number, and it worked fine.

Guest HelloDave

Stupid question, but do you just put the dial up number, password etc in as a new Dial Up Connection that connects to the internet? No domain? I've tried with Freeserve and BT Click and every time I try to connect to the internet, PIE gives me a "Connection error - Unable to place call". Grr!

Guest Big Ron - No Longer a Mem

That's the number I've been using for years to check-over PC's with internet problems. I also periodically cobble together PCs from scrapped parts (usually "upgrade leftovers") and sell them as "internet ready". Set the dialup number as given, the username as anything you want, password ditto, and YOU WILL GET A CONNECTION TO THE WEB. It'll be charged at normal 0845 rates, and you will NOT need to "set up an account" with BT. If a customer cannot get online, and asks me to check their system, I set it up manually as an alternative dialup connection - and I've never yet had a connection failure due to the dialup number not working. (Plenty of times due to Modem failure!) I'm unaware of ANY other dialup number where access is that easy. This seems to be some kind of "backdoor". Many ISPs tie their dialup to specific numbers dialling in - which is why you often have to enable the "Caller ID" with an added prefix if you've got an ex-directory number.

• 4 months later...
Guest lufcfan
+4408457576333 Make a note of it - you might need it! ANY username, ANY Password, so long as they're at least four characters. No need to set up an account with an ISP - just fill in the dialup number, username and password on your phone.

I tried this and just get the error message 'Unable To Place Call.'

Does anyone have a step by step method? Those who have got these methods working, what Password/Username did you use etc and what did you do?...

Please help...

LUFCfan ;)

Guest lufcfan

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES! ;) :D

(Is that enough yesses?)

I just got it working by missing the 0 off 0845 - THANKS A LOT PsychoDave!!!

So for anyone else with this problem, just put +44 in as the Country Code, 845 as the Dialling Code and 7576333 as the Phone Number. Then just make sure your password and username are longer than 4 characters (mine is seven characters long).

By the way, does anyone know how much this number costs per minute?

Thanks a lot once again!

LUFCfan :lol:

• 1 year later...
Guest netgroover

I want a Dial-up connection from my laptop via my SPV C500, but NOT using GPRS.

So this thread looks ideal, but I can't get it working at all! All I get is "Unable to place call"