I am Think of getting a M1000 - is it any good?

Guest shaun

Guest shaun

Hi Guys,

I have a E200 currently and its OK. I used to have a Pocket PC some years ago and I am starting to miss the large screen and the better calendar/tasks etc.

Can people with the M1000 give me some idea of what they are like to use?

A few general questions

* Can it last from friday night to monday morning without a recharge (MY E200 can't)

* what is the signal strenght like?

* What is the supplied case like?

* It looks a little narrower that the origional XDA. Is it OK to hold to you hear?

Any comments would be good.

thanks

shaun

Guest Twain

I have an xda 2 but dont think there are any major differences hardware wise,

in terms of charge it probably would last the weekend with very little use but if you start playing with it or calling it'll drop much quicker so depends on how much you use it.

Ive never had a problem with signal, and if i ever do lose it i.e. underground carparks etc it finds it very quickly once your back in signal.

The case is another shoddy attemp by htc which you wouldnt be seen dead with, if you want a case you'll need a third party one,

only ever held an original xda a long time ago so cant really remember the size but i know for a fact its smaller in all directions and is pretty comfortable to hold, only problem is the sides are pretty slippy due to the finish which can be a problem,

apart from that im well impressed, they are really powerful and watching vids on a screen like that compared to an spv is so much better!

hope this helps

Guest Jiff Lemon

I've got an M1000 so can report:

Yes the battery will last a weekend with light use, however, remember that it does ship with 2!

The standard case is functional (it'll hold the second battery and 2 spare SD cards, but I'm currently searchinf for something a little better.

Signal strength has never been an issue - if I've lost signal on my M1000 then I've also lost it on the mobile phones I have with me.

Width? It fits my palm comfortably - never had the original XDA so can't comment.

Guest Baffy

I've had my m1000 for about 1 month now and am very pleased with it. Finding lots of shareware and freeware - and all the accessories for the XDA2 fit it. Battery up to now has been excellent and definitely get 3 days out of it. Discovered today that if you do lose all battery power and it shuts down then it fully resets itself to like it was when first came out of the box :( . I'll be regulalry doing full back-ups to my PC from now on.

No signal problems, only when Orange is weak anyway. I'm using SDIO wi-fi and get Internet access on my home network and can browse mp3 files etc and play them on the m1000 off the netwook. Keep finding new things every day :)

Guest Jiff Lemon

Baffy, which wi-fi card did you get? I was waiting for the Sandisk Wifi and 256mb combo card, but it doesn't appear to have appeared yet.

The battery reset thing is annoying - If it gets completely flat, it'll run on the backup battery (whihc is designed to keep some power to the memory whilst you change batteries - nothing else!). Takes about 6 hours to charge the backup battery too!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest neuronisis

I've had an e200 up till a few days ago but now i have just got one of these bad boys. It's awsome! :twisted: There's so much you can do with them. Also of course there's not so many limitations as with the e200. Get one!!

I thought the SPV M1000 might have featured on device specific?

• 1 month later...
Baffy, which wi-fi card did you get? I was waiting for the Sandisk Wifi and 256mb combo card, but it doesn't appear to have appeared yet.

I bought the SanDisk WiFi card (not the one with SD memory). Got it through an eBay store but can't remember which one. It seems to be hot swappable - that is I can swap between WiFi card and SD card without resetting.

Not had any more full resets as now my phone sits in an O2 XDA serial cradle when at work with an SPV mains charger (serial cradle has smaller jack socket) and at when at home sits in the original USB cradle.

Great for keeping the kids entertained on long car journeys. I'm now trying to get DVD to Pocket PC to work which should put a full DVD onto a 128MB SD card.

Now unlocked to any network.

I love my m1000

• 2 weeks later...
Guest philgriffiths

Have you considered hanging around for the M2000? features a slide out qwerty keyboard and built in Wi-Fi. might be worth a look.....when i finally gets released

Guest mrplatypus

I heard that it was due around mid October 2004.

Orange reportedly have dev versions which they are reviewing before possible release.

I would expect price to be around £350??!!?? (* don't quote me on that *)

Guest philgriffiths

It's been mentioned in other threads that the M2000 will probably only be available to business users at first :(

I reckon that thats probably gonna be the figure, since they are being sold in the modaco shop for close to 600 quid. Still i can keep dreaming that it's gonna come out for free. :)

I will be really ticked off if they only allow business customers to buy the M2000!!!!!!!!

Its in the Orange litreature in their retail stores - does anyone know for sure what will happen?

I have just had my 40th bithday - no presents just the money to get one of this pupies - I have got to wait until December when my cotract expires - but I want one then!

thanks

shaun

Guest philgriffiths

I dont think anyone really knows for sure. Hopefully there will be more concrete info on availability once we get an official release date. Perhaps the fact it appears in the magazines released from retail stores is a hopefull sign (although i think it was in the business section or the cataloge). Also the availability of M2000 variants, although limited, either sim free (see modaco shop!) or on other networks, such as vodafone, through expansys.com would suggest that Orange may be a little foolish to release the phone to business only when its competitors are offering them straight to personal users. However i personally reckon that it will all hang on how many units Orange can get. It would make sense to me to make them more available to their bigger spending, and perhaps more valuable Corporate users first, before putting it on general release to the public.

But i live in hope it will become available to personal users like little old me in time for my contract renewal in December. And should someone high up in orange read this PLEASE GIVE ME A FREE ONE!! I really want this Phone/PDA :)