Blue Angel rom versions

Guest Pondrew

Guest wideawake

Well after my original phone developed a fault (ok so I cracked the screen!!)

My replacement had an inferior ROM.

Bluetooth no longer worked correctly (I use an I-Tech clip headset)

After a many hours of complaint to Orange Customer services, I think I finally have got through to them that there are indeed in exsistence different ROMS for the M2000.

They have escalated my call and I should have a response in 5 days (geez if that is escalation!!)

My original Rom was:-

Operator 5.31.1.124

ROM 1.31.00 WWE

ROM Date 12/13/04

Radio 1.06.02

Protocol 1337.38

ExtROM 1.31.124 WWE

BT: Build 3500

My replacement Rom was:

Operator: 5.12.1.139

Rom: 1.12.22 wwe

Rom date: 09/27/04

Radio: 1.04.00

Protocol 1337.35

EXT rom: 1.12.139 wwe

BT c1.0.0. build 2200

Becomes apparent why my BT does not work!!

I obviously couldnt wait for Orange, so xda-developers.com to the rescue.....

My spec is now:-

Operator 5.31.1.124

ROM 1.31.00 WWE

ROM Date 12/13/04

Radio 1.08.00

Protocol 1337.38

ExtROM 1.31.124 WWE

BT: Build 3900 (After patch)

And guess what... My BT works perfectly. (It was actually the ROM build that seemed to make the difference not just the BT build)

Let's see what Orange come back with......

Guest martinlaidlaw
Customer Services have just rung me - they are burning CDs and sending them out with the update to whoever asks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny, I got this responce from an e-mail to T-mobile -

Thank you for you email regarding software issues on the MDA III.

I have checked with our Technical Support Department and currently, we are unaware of any software update for the phone above.

I have listed below the details for the manufacturer of the phone who would be able to assist you with any issues relating to that particular model.

HTC (manufacture MDAs & SDA)

Telephone Number:  08712 230 217/8

Opening Hours:  8 - 9.00 to 12.30 & 13.30 to 17.30 (Mon to Fri)

I do apologise that I am unable to assist you further with your query, and for any inconvenience this may cause.

I have added a note to your account with the details of your email.

If you require further help do not hesitate to contact myself or one of my colleagues or alternatively, please visit us at http://www.t-mobile.co.uk

Have a good bank holiday weekend.

Regards

Customer Services

T-Mobile

Guest Pondrew

Martinlaidlaw, I had exactly the same experience with customer service. Two calls were made. The first denied any knowledge of an update and didn't seem to know anything about Blackberry. The second knew about the Blackberry service T-Mobile are now offering but referred me to my nearest T-Mobile business centre. Couldn't be bothered so found the update myself.

See the post below from the news thread. There apparently are T-Mobile representatives that know about the update and are able to send CDs out...

I spoke to T-Mobile customer services yesterday who told me no such update was available.

I insisted there was and was put through to two more reps before speaking to a helpfull very helpful chap called Derek in technical who said he would get a CD out to me asap and I could call back when I'd got the BB client installed to enable the service for £10/month for 50mb of instant email.

Another chap called James (also from technical) then left a message on my voicemail saying that he was posting out the CD and I should get it in the next couple of days - can't wait.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Pondrew

A little update on some experimenting I've been doing today.

I bit the bullet this morning risking all in installing the very latest radio stack version onto my HTC Blue Angel (T-Mobile badged MDA III). I've not done much testing since beyond dialing out and receiving a text message so far but everything seems to be working fine.

What is the upgrade I've done? I've installed radio stack 1.10.00 (recently released on devices in Germany and suggested to improve both bluetooth range and telephony/signal strength).

So my device information now reads:

ROM version: 1.06.00 ENG

ROM date: 08/05/04

Radio version: 1.10.00

Protocol version: 1337.391

ExtROM version: 1.06.160

with bluetooth build 3500

Guest fraser
I bit the bullet this morning risking all in installing the very latest radio stack version onto my HTC Blue Angel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's your thoughts on the process? I looked on XDA developers but it seems like a time-consuming nightmare!! AFAIK I'm on the latest M2000 ROM (radio is old tho), so I've got a few questions for you that having been thru it, you might be able to help:

- should you use your operators image, or go for the latest one from anywhere?

- is just upgrading the radio no hasstle?

- is there much in the way of potential in getting a "special edition" ROM as XDAdev did for the XDA? This was very impressive, all useful apps pre-installed after hard-reset, apps stored in ROM (take up no space)

Guest Pondrew

I think they've come up with a new easier method as all I had to do was follow instructions which basically involved just downloading a radio stack 1.10 updater, backing up my data, running it and assuming this method worked (in my case it did but apparently it won't always), hard reset.

That's it!

Here's a link to the latest instructions which were only posted today... radio upgrade

With regards the special edition rom I believe those days are past. They (XDA-developers.com) are more into rom kitchens these days which allow you to 'cook' a rom using your preferred rom versions and software. Dangerous stuff though which could turn your device into a paperweight. I've avoided experimenting with this thus far as I'm happy with T-Mobiles implementation. Just wanted to try the 1.10 upgrade as it sounded (and, in my case as least, proved to be) so easy.

Edited by Pondrew

Guest Pondrew
- should you use your operators image, or go for the latest one from anywhere?

- is just upgrading the radio no hasstle?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The instructions suggest that if the radio stack updater does not work you should then try replacing the radio stack file 'radio_.nbf' in your operators rom update (which you should have extracted to a folder) with the latest 1.10 version.

As I said, in my case I didn't have to do this. I'm also avoiding changing the T-Mobile UK rom or external rom (aside from applying their latest update) as they've not caused me any trouble and I'm trusting what they've included is necessary/balanced. I certainly don't want the O2 stuff I've seen on my mates XDA2s and see no value in trying the M2000 rom given they seem to complain of more bugs/faults (the hard reset following leaving your keyboard out/changing the battery for example).

In my case upgrading the radio was no hassle at all. In fact, I'm finding it strange... it was almost too easy! :shock:

BUT, I say again 'in my case'. This may not work for everyone and I'm accepting no responsibility for expensive paperweights! :D

Guest fraser

Thanks for the info. In your first post, you mentioned that you had to hard reset? Did I pick that up right? If so, I'm going to park the idea of updating the radio, and do it all propertly when I need to hard-reset. I've not actually had a hard-reset yet, so I'm due one now that I'm over the whole "new toy, oops broke that bit" stage.

Rom cooking does sound great. One of the things they came up with was a tool that sent text messages if the owner information did not match the preset values. The first thing a thief will do is to change the owner info on the homescreen; so you get their new number and geographic location sent to you!! Brilliant!

I'll probably give it a go in the next couple of weeks!!

Edited by fraser

Guest Pondrew

Yeah, a hard reset is part of the procedure so there's no way round that I'm afraid. This was the second hard reset I'd done in a week so didn't bother me (added to which I'd just bought a 1gig 40x sd card so wanted to reinstall everything). First hard reset was necessary to install the new T-Mobile UK rom...

Hadn't heard of that feature, very impressive stuff and definately something to include in my rom should I ever get round to trying my hand at 'cooking'.

• 2 months later...
Guest Pondrew

I've come across alot more rom versions in my travels but the latest seems to be the Imate PDA2K rom recently released on Club Imate.

With help from XDA-Developers.com I succesfully flashed to it a few days ago and have been totally satisfied with the results. There has been no downside.

It's amazing how much better Windows Media Player 10 is. And the device seems much more stable and polished now...

Only thing I would say is that when I was using the T-Mobile rom patched with radio stack 1.10 my battery lasted a little longer then it does now with the latest radio stack version 1.12. This is apparently consistant with other folks findings...

There's also been the suggestion that service provider specific services (for example T-Mobiles Blackberry in the UK) will only function on the radio stack originally on their device. i.e. installing radio stack 1.8 or later will break blackberry on T-Mobile.

Guest Pondrew

And here's the Imate rom versions I've now got on my MDA III

Rom Version: 1.40.00 WWE

Rom Date: 03/10/05

Radio Version 1.12.00

Protocol version 1337.42

ExtROM verson 1.40.176 WWE

Bluetooth version 1 build 3900

There's something amusing about a T-Mobile MDA III booting up with IMATE in large letters across the screen! ;)

Edited by Pondrew

Guest Abducted

Hello Pondrew and everybody else for that matter. ;)

I got my M2000 yesterday en wanted to flash to a new ROM before i started to install everything else. My previous phone is the original Orange SPV and i've used differend ROM's on that one too. Qtek, Orange and right now that old SPV is even running some leaked version of Windows Mobile 2003.

Everytime i flashed to a new rom i would run a .cab file with the dutch Orange settings and everything would work again.

Before flashing to a new ROM i read some threads and your name came up a couple of times and since you have over 1300 posts i would assume u've been busy with this stuff. :D And u are using the latest IMate ROM and said it was excellent to i flashed to that one too. It fixed the crappy WiFi right away and it also feels like it's more responsive. But the only problem i'm having right now is my GPRS doesn't work. Liek i said on my old SPV all i had to do is run that .cab file. But this M2000 can't run this .cab file. I've read a lot of threads and did even more searches over here, google and on xda-developers.com but i can't really find what i'm looking for. I've read some stuff about dialing *99#, but that's what i used use the internet of old SPV on my old PDA. And even if that is how you get it to work i've tried it and i can't get that to work either. I've also read that you need to extract something from the Orange ROM and put it in the IMate ROM before flashing. That might be a solution, but first of all i would assume there is an easier way to get those settings back adn secondly i don't know what files to extract and inject.

So sould GPRS just work after to flash to a ROM from a differend provider/country?

And if not, can you please tell me how i can get it to work again? Thanks. ;)

Guest dazultra2000

Short version:

You need to get a .cab that's compatible with the M2000.

Then you need to learn about the extrom on the phone, put the cab into it and do a hard reset. Then it will work.

Long version:

Read very carefully through http://wiki.xda-developers.com as it is the best source of information around for it - also read the forums.

I have updated to the 1.40 i-mate rom and cooked my own extrom from components of the i-mate 1.4 and the orange 1.31 extroms - works like a dream!

Guest Abducted

Oke thanks!

I know a little about the external ROM. But what .cab file is the one i need to get from the Orange ROM and inject in the IMate ROM?

xda-developers.com has been down since last night and still is right now.

So if you could please tell me what files i need to work with that would be great. ;)

Guest dazultra2000

If I knew I would have told you.

What I did was I took the extrom from the orange 1.31 release, replaced all of the old apps with the new ones from the 1.40 i-mate rom and installed that onto the phone. That way I had all of the newest apps with all of the orange software as well.

You just need to make sure that the extrom is <16MB

Guest Pondrew

I'd be a little wary of mixing ext rom cabs just because I read that external rom cab files are sometimes specific to the rom they accompany (ie a cab file in the Imate 1.40 external rom may only work properly with 1.40 and so Orange 1.3 ext rom cab files may not function properly with the Imate 1.40).

For this reason I just used the setting repositary here at Modaco and entered all the settings manually. Only takes about 5 to 10 minutes...

The settings for Orange are here

Also, most of what I know I learned from here or XDA-Developers.com. Their wiki pages for the Blue Angel are fantastic. Check them out here

Guest hunyango_uk

hi, got o2 xda iis. just wondering if i can have wmp 10 on it. and my bluetooth is not working when i'm trying to send some files to my c500.

rom version 1.31.00 wwe

rom date 12/13/04

radio version 1.06.00

protocol version 1337.38

extrom version 1.31.139 wwe

Guest gibbo_ap

jus 2quick questions

i am thinking of upgrading to the 1.40 ROM mainly because of WMP10 but am scared of loosing my settings (MMS GPRS etc). i know its a lot to ask but could some one write a how to on this as its a very popular thread and alot of peeps wana know how.

secondly

if i upgrade and cant put my settings in or something goes wrong (it is me i have bad bad luck) can i down grade the ROM to the current 1.31.00 ROM i have.

cheers

Guest viper4u2nv

yeh ive been on the wiki pages at xda developers that pondrew and others have told me about and honestly its difficult to find the details in order to flash the rom to the mda or m2000 in the dude aboves case.

i also need it done step by step by someone who has tried it and not failed.

Thanx.

Guest Pondrew

Right. Firstly neither I nor Modaco are in any way responsible should you decide to start installing roms that aren't intended for your device. You could end up with a VERY expensive paperweight, the kind that makes Smartphone paperweights look cheap and nasty.

Secondly, I can't provide you with the roms nor tools to upgrade with. XDA-Developers.com and in particular their wiki pages are a wonderful resource but you're going to have to find what you need yourself. Sorry but that's how it is.

Right, now that that's out of the way, should things go wrong the procedure suggested in the second post here may help (no guarantees, remember what I said about expensive paperweights, if you can't afford to lose the device, don't mess with it).

Finally, in answer to your question of how to go back to an Orange, O2 or T-Mobile rom, see the following post.

Edited by Pondrew

Guest Pondrew

Here's an extract from the Blue Angel wiki pages of XDA-Developers.com. All credit goes to them. As stated no responsibility is accepted by them, Modaco, or myself should this go wrong.

The tool in question removes the need for an update rom id to match the device id. It could do real harm if used with an incompatible rom. You'll probably notice it was originally intended for use with the HTC Magician but it worked fine for me when upgrading my Blue Angel to the Imate rom.

(oh, and as mentioned you'll have to locate the tool and roms for yourself...)

...if you are installing a rom on a device other than that which it is meant for, you will get a Device ID error, so follow these steps:

Download update to desktop

Unrar or unzip all files in exe or rar into a new folder

Open the folder with the extracted files

Download this file: MaUpgradeUt_noID.ZIP

Extract MaUpgradeUt_noID.exe from this file and place it with the other upgrade files.

Run this new exe file instead of BaUpgradeUt.exe to update your rom

If you get an error the first time, run MaUpgradeUt_noID.exe again

Edited by Pondrew