PPCProfiles Pro

Guest bretto

bretto, i installed on a BA running WM5 and it works great. Just one thing regarding the SIM PIN, is there an option to make that optional so it doesnt give an error with no pin entered. If i dont enter a PIN when i switch from flight mode to normal mode PPCProfiles complains of a missing PIN and i have to cancel that error message. My concern is security; with a PIN entered to remove the error anyone with access to the device can switch to normal mode and make calls. Without a pin PPCProfiles gives an error about a missing pin. I hope this is clear, thanks for all your work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not quite sure what you mean but let me explain about the SIM PIN in PPCProfiles-Pro.

It should be optional.

If your device is setup to use a SIM PIN and you dont have it setup (or the wrong PIN) in the profile manager then switch flightmode off using a profile it will popup a messagebox complaining about the PIN and the phone will ask you for your pin as per normal.

If you dont have a SIM PIN setup for the device and have or havent got a SIM PIN entered in the profile manager there should be not messagebox about the PIN when switching flightmode off.

If you use a SIM PIN with your device and have a SIM PIN setup in the profile manger no messagebox should popup. It should just work.

If things are not working like this then I might need to check out wm2005 to see whats not working correctly.

Hope this makes sense.

Hi Matt

I think your saying that in PPCProfiles-Pro when you setup the reminder notification and select repeat as well as vibrate all the boxes get unchecked.

If this is the case then there is a bug in PPCProfiles-Pro which I need to fix. Please let me know if thats the case.

Also if you use another app that changes the reminders options then you will get a conflict. Ive been thinking about this and I think I will add an option to use the existing settings when the profile is selected. That is if you select to use existing settings no changes are made to that notification when selecting the profile. This way people can use things like PocketPlus without conflict.

Guest matt1971

Hi,

Thanks for replying so quick.

I will try to explain exactly what my options are:

In sounds and Notifications I have the reminder notifications enabled.

In Pocket Plus there is an option to enable repeating alarms, but I don't use this feature from Pocket Plus.

It does seem that when I choose to either have the flashing light or vibration with a repeating alarm it clears all check boxes and if I go back to the sounds and notifcations options - they are all cleared also.

I will gladly provide any other info if you require. I noticed a poster waaaayyy back on page 5, 6 or 7 who mentioned a similar problem and they were also using Pocket Plus.

Thanks

Matt

Hi,

It does seem that when I choose to either have the flashing light or vibration with a repeating alarm it clears all check boxes and if I go back to the sounds and notifcations options - they are all cleared also.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep thats a bug (undocumented feature :o) and Ill get is fixed asap.

How the hell did that get thru my testing process...again... :oops:

Good stuff though Bretto, loving this app..

I seem to remember there always being an issue with being able to select combinations of boxes...

Also, don't know if it's just my apps, but I still have to uncheck and check the plug in in 'today' after a soft reset. Doesn't happen every soft reset, perhaps one in 3. Not major hassle but would be nice to iron this out perhaps?

Out of interest, is it best to set the repeats in your app or others like PocketPlus? What would you reccommend?

Also...do you think you could impliment the feature that actually shows the icon as having sound off/vibrate, so changing the PPC's speaker icon to represent what settings you have.. Yours seem to bypass the internal speaker icon. Not a major thing, but would be handy perhaps?

Keep on keepin' on!

Good stuff though Bretto, loving this app..

I seem to remember there always being an issue with being able to select combinations of boxes...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah dopey me again. Just iron out this little bug. It actually saves the right settings and applies them but the display is the problem. Simple typeo tripped me up again. Ill post the fix as build 1.02 in a few minutes.

Also, don't know if it's just my apps, but I still have to uncheck and check the plug in in 'today' after a soft reset. Doesn't happen every soft reset, perhaps one in 3. Not major hassle but would be nice to iron this out perhaps?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this is a conflict of plugins. When I rewrote the plugin from scratch I used the example given by MS as a logical starting point. Now if I create a plugin from the same base skeleton and run them together I get dissappearing plugins which leads me to believe there must be some hidden way of making them more unique. Still reasearching it so I can finally resolve this. Hopefully wont be long.

Out of interest, is it best to set the repeats in your app or others like PocketPlus? What would you reccommend?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If we are talking about the reminders only then at the moment I would recommend you use PPCProfiles-Pro as it wants to set the notification everytime you select a profile. The only way around this is to never go into the notification setup after a fresh install. I will add the option to use whatever the system default is so you will be able to bypass PPCProfiles-Pro and use any other program. Same for ringtone.

Other programs use their own custom repeating features which extend the phones capabilities. These should not conflict with PPCProfiles-Pro.

Also...do you think you could impliment the feature that actually shows the icon as having sound off/vibrate, so changing the PPC's speaker icon to represent what settings you have.. Yours seem to bypass the internal speaker icon. Not a major thing, but would be handy perhaps?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I still havent worked out how to do this. looking at applications like o2plus it appears they set the registry then run the speaker applet which then reads the registry and does its thing such as changing the display. Just how I dont know. When I work it out its going straight in.

Ive uploaded a new version of the release v3.00a (build 1.02) which has the fix for the reminders notification setup and the tray app delay of adding the icon to the bar so we can get it as far left as possible. Easier to select with the thumb/finger.

Version: V3.00a (build 1.02)

Full release version.

Bugfix to display of reminders notification.

Added 5 second delay when adding icon to tray in tray selection mode.

Guest thehobbit78

Hi, Bretto

As I promised, yesterday I quit using PocketZenPhone and installed the latest version of PPCProfiles Pro.

Unfortunately, after the desktop plugin appears, my Qtek S100 (same as XDA mini, Imate Jam) stop responding and a soft-reset not solve the problem.

I have to do a hard-reset (lucky that I do a full backup before install!).

Read all 23 pages of this thread, and I've found almost another one guy that could not use this application.

On my S100 I have these application installed:

- SPB PocketPlus 3.0

- Scary Bear ClearNotify

- PHM Registry Editor

- Cash Organizer and Money Sync

- Tom Tom 5

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi, Bretto

As I promised, yesterday I quit using PocketZenPhone and installed the latest version of PPCProfiles Pro.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hope people dont get the wrong idea and think I made you do this :o

Unfortunately, after the desktop plugin appears, my Qtek S100 (same as XDA mini, Imate Jam) stop responding and a soft-reset not solve the problem.

I have to do a hard-reset (lucky that I do a full backup before install!).

Read all 23 pages of this thread, and I've found almost another one guy that could not use this application.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Crikey! a hard reset!

Good work on doing the backup. Recommended before installing any program.

I havent heard of anyone needing to go to such drastic lengths since the wm2003se conflict in the early days of this application.

- SPB PocketPlus 3.0

- Scary Bear ClearNotify

- PHM Registry Editor

- Tom Tom 5

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ive used SPB PocketPlus and PHM Registry Editor with no problems. Cant say much about the other applications.

If you want to get to the bottom of it the way I would suggest is to reset your device as if it had just come out of the box. Then install PPCProfiles-Pro. If the application works as it should then I would start installing the other applications one by one until an error is encountered.

I know this is a big ask but understandably I am approaching this sort of problem from PPCProfiles-Pro's point of view and not the other application's.

I really cant install all your appliations to try and recreate this problem and can only try my best to make PPCProfiles-Pro compatable with a standard system.

On the other hand if you dont want to go to all this trouble and cant live without the other apps I wouldnt blame you for going back to using something that works for you.

Please let me know how you go if you decide to try and get to the bottom if it.

Guest matt1971

- SPB PocketPlus 3.0

- Scary Bear ClearNotify

- PHM Registry Editor

- Tom Tom 5

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Just thought I would add, I have installed:

PocketPlus

PHM Registry Editor

Cash Organizer (No money sync)

Copilot instead of TomTom

and I have not had any probs - so I wonder if it could be another app or Today Plugin.

Only time my PPC hard reset was using an alternative alarm application.

Also look at the clear notify program. Not sure if that program clears the duplications in the notifcations dB - but if so PocketPlus used to have this option so maybe there is a conflict.

Matt

Edited by matt1971

Guest matt1971

Hi Bretto,

One small thing (not a bug - maybe a peculiarity....)

I have all my profiles set to the lowest in call volume - however when i receive a call the volume can go just one more notch lower.

I have noticed it from 2.01c ---> 3.00a (1.02)

Thanks

Matt

Edited by matt1971

Guest thehobbit78

First of all, thanks to both Bretto and Matt for the prompt reply.

@Bretto

For sure when I have some time I'll do the job of hard resetting and then install all the stuffs. Or I could use the safe-mode feature of SPB PocketPlus, activating the other application one by one.

@Matt

Where can I find in PocketPlus the clear notification option? I can't find...

Thanks!

Guest matt1971

Hi,

Have just checked and in v2 of PocketPLUS there was an option to delete duplicates, but in v3 its gone - perhaps because WM 2003 SE has resolved the issue.

However trying the safe mode sounds like a good idea. Also you could use the registry editor and make sure that the ZEN today plugin has been removed.

The path in the registry is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Today\Items - it lists all of the plugins for the today screen. If you have uninstalled ZEN then it shouldnt be listed.

Matt

Edited by matt1971

I have all my profiles set to the lowest in call volume - however when i receive a call the volume can go just one more notch lower.

I have noticed it from 2.01c ---> 3.00a (1.02)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Matt I'll check that out.

:o Thank you very much for creating and constantly developing this absolutely "must have" application.

I do have a request for a new version: I had my XDAII upgraded to windows mobile 2005, installed the ppc-profiles and were very happy to see the today plugin. But unfortunately it doesn't work.

The app can adjust the volume and some of the notfication options (I'm not sure which of them works and which don't) but not the ringtones.

Any chance of you making a new version?

Just forgot: I'm running the 1.60C WWE Rom from buzzdev :(

/HBHaug

Edited by HBHaug

:o Thank you very much for creating and constantly developing this absolutely "must have" application.

I do have a request for a new version: I had my XDAII upgraded to windows mobile 2005, installed the ppc-profiles and were very happy to see the today plugin. But unfortunately it doesn't work.

The app can adjust the volume and some of the notfication options (I'm not sure which of them works and which don't) but not the ringtones.

Any chance of you making a new version?

/HBHaug

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi HBHaug

Ive used the app with my xda2 wm2005 system and it appeared to work well. The only thing I noticed was that when you changed the ringtones directory your ringtones had to be exactly in that directory specified whereas wm2003(se) still included sound files in other directories as well.

There are a couple of things with the registry on wm2005 that may be hindering your system.

With my wm2005 system I changed the registry to be file based when the upgrade had initially finished downloading and at the hard reset stage. Then in the registry there is a setting for using persistent registry which means that your changes are saved in the registry rather than being discarded.

When I get back to my office I will get more info for you to see if your system is setup the same. Im very happy to make changes required if there are any conflicts with wm2005.

Glad to see someone using the profile manager on wm2005 :(

Ill also get a fresh wm2005 system on my xda2 so I can help more.

bretto, I also use PPCProfiles Pro on blue angel running WM5 and it works fine. It does sometimes disappear from the today screen but going to the today settings applet seems to bring it back.

I'd also be interested in your WM5 registry tweaks, the upgrade on a BA doesnt give the same options you mention.

Edited by efjay

Ok found the info.

The wm2005 options I was talking about are for the xda2 using the "development" wm2005 version from Buzzlightyear. Im not sure if all versions are the same but here goes.

After initial download of wm2005 ROM. Extract taken from the file 10_steps.txt

10. Now you have to hardreset your device.

Press ResetButton and hold down CameraButton + RecordButton.

Hold them pressed until the "Boot Options" menu appears on the screen.

Select the options as follows:

(for selecting use RecordButton, change values with CameraButton)

Enable KITL          -> NO

Clean Registry Hive  -> YES

Format Storage      -> YES

When done, press DPad and wait until OS starts.

After the device has booted up.

in [HKLM\System\ObjectStore] is a reg key "RegistryType=1", which means Hive based registry.

When you set it to "RegistryType=0", which means FILE based registry, all changes you do in the registry will stay there also if you reboot with device's reset button...

BUT AFTER YOU CHANGE THIS VALUE, FIRST REBOOT HAS TO BE DONE WITH SOME SOFTWARE, NOT WITH THE RESET BUTTON.

Subsequent reboots can be done with reset button then.

If you guys have had different instructions when installing wm2005 or a different flavour of wm2005 let me know and Ill see what I can find out.

bretto thanks for the info. For the BA upgrade we only perform the first steps to clean registry hive and clear storage. The registry info is new to me. I'll ask buzz on his site if this is relevant to the BA. Thanks again

In regard to disappearing plugins and what I thought was a conflict between PPCProfiles-Pro and other plugins.

I have found what I think is a bug in today manager for wm2003se. At least on the magician.

I really have to find out more information but my results are able to be reproduced with any 3rd party today plugin.

How I found it is detailed here.

If anyone has more info to share on what appears to happen when PPCProfiles-Pro vanishes I would be very interested to hear about it.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All

Unfortunately the time that I can devote to this application is very limited at the moment. Because of this I have decided to release the source code for the project so that others may be able to enhance it and take it beyond where it is today.

There is a new topic now which is pinned near the latest release post.

Im sure out of the couple of thousand users out there plenty must be better at coding than me so if anyone wants to dive in go for it. If you need some help please feel free to contact me.

Thanks

Hi All

Unfortunately the time that I can devote to this application is very limited at the moment. Because of this I have decided to release the source code for the project so that others may be able to enhance it and take it beyond where it is today.

[snip...]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

@bretto,

Understandably, it can be hard to find time to work on something for others for free. You created a great application for our use and I, and I'm sure many others, appreciate it. Hopefully someone can pick it up and take it further. Thanks again.

Edited by scottb