When the smartphone freezes... what should you do?

Guest Vrylakos

Guest Vrylakos

So, my SMT 5600 has frozen a couple of times in the past few weeks. I've resorted to popping the battery out, for lack of any real ideas as to what to do.

SO... I ask here, in the Mecca of Smartphone knowledge... what SHOULD I do? Are there steps, an escalating chart of desperate actions, what?

Thanks in advance!

Vrylakos

Guest MTDude

Do you remember what you were doing or what programs were running prior to the lockup?

I am very new to the whole Smartphone world, but I believe that the phones are similar to computers in that sometimes they do wierd shheee-ayt every now and then. I am only going to add a new program every other week, so that I can get time with the phone and see if anything wierd happens after a new install.

I did have a lockup, but I think it happened when I was jumping around in the menu's and making calls after I fist got the phone.

Guest Vrylakos
Do you remember what you were doing or what programs were running prior to the lockup?

I am very new to the whole Smartphone world, but I believe that the phones are similar to computers in that sometimes they do wierd shheee-ayt every now and then.  I am only going to add a new program every other week, so that I can get time with the phone and see if anything wierd happens after a new install.

I did have a lockup, but I think it happened when I was jumping around in the menu's and making calls after I fist got the phone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've had a couple while the phone was key locked in my pocket. I had one where it was not locked, but I wasn't using it.

So, I've no real clue as to what's causing it.

Vrylakos

Guest Disco Stu

The most likely causes are low battery or low phone memory.

Keep ringtones, homescreens and messages to a minimum and install everything you can to the storage card.

Guest truckerlpg
The most likely causes are low battery or low phone memory.

Keep ringtones, homescreens and messages to a minimum and install everything you can to the storage card.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've also been having this problem, plenty of memory, plenty of battery power. Sometimes even when I remove the battery and put it back the problem is still there. Mine usually happens when the phone is locked and in my pocket.

Guest Vrylakos
I've also been having this problem, plenty of memory, plenty of battery power. Sometimes even when I remove the battery and put it back the problem is still there. Mine usually happens when the phone is locked and in my pocket.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, my battery is usually over 2/3rds charged, and most all of my programs and so forth are saved to my card.

So, I'm baffled. Thanks for letting me know what low batt and memory can do though! I'll keep my phone charged even more than I do now!

Vrylakos

Guest awarner [MVP]

It happens on mine as well with the keypad lock, but the phone is actually running very slow and can eventually unlock the keypad again.

Occasionally I have also had to pull the battery but normally waiting a few minute is all it needs.

Guest pierre

Doesn happen to me most of the time when I transfer MP3s (I'm buying a card reader tomorrow, I swear!) to the storage card. The only solution is to remove the battery (boring!)

Yet it never happened when keypad locked.

Guest simon211175

This has happened a few times to me with plenty of battery and memory available. I resort to taking the battery out as everyone else seems to, although last night I had to do that and then when I turned the phone back on again it did a factory reset :cry: leaving me having to get all the settings back again for what ringtones went where, the alarm settings etc etc.

Oh and I can't install stuff now because it needs decerting again - but it doesn't work on the Orange website now which meant I had to manually enter all the registry keys to put the correct images back in. ](*,)

Guest pierre
This has happened a few times to me with plenty of battery and memory available. I resort to taking the battery out as everyone else seems to, although last night I had to do that and then when I turned the phone back on again it did a factory reset  :cry: leaving me having to get all the settings back again for what ringtones went where, the alarm settings etc etc.

Oh and I can't install stuff now because it needs decerting again - but it doesn't work on the Orange website now which meant I had to manually enter all the registry keys to put the correct images back in.  ](*,)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

;) How boring! I pray this won't happen to me for let's say at least another 6 months..

Guest scottishdave

The last time my phone locked up I decided to whip out the battery, pop it back in and boot it up.

For some reason the phone did a soft reset.

It wasn't quite right so I ended up doing a hard reset and all is well.

Bloody windows!