PS3

Guest spacecowboy6982

Guest bluesmudge
Dunno if this has been mentioned already but a nice PS3 shots - i dont know what the controller is all about  :?:

PS3 Preview !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh dear, im not too sure about that controller at all- i love the playstation, particularly becuase i find the controller confortable . . . . that looks a bit tacky

Guest ian_dazookeeper

i agree about the contoller, it doesnt look like it would fit snugly into my hands,

but i def will be shelling out the cash for one 8)

Guest kurtfhouse

I think I prefer the look of the Xbox 360, and as I am happy with my Xbox now I will be sticking with the Microsoft camp :cheesy:

Guest Pondrew

This doesn't make me want to ditch Xbox.

Was reading about the XBOX 360 earlier. Interesting that both Microsoft and Sony worked with IBM to produce the processors while Microsoft stopped using Nvidia and turned to ATI to help them design the Graphics Processor. Can you believe the Microsoft GPU has 10gig ram! This on top of the 512meg system ram...

Did Sony use Nvidia before for the Playstation 2? Anyone care to compare the hardware specs of the two (given I'm feeling too lazy to trawl through the Playstation 3 specs...)?

Guest nickcornaglia
Dunno if this has been mentioned already but a nice PS3 shots - i dont know what the controller is all about  :?:

PS3 Preview !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you get mad at a game and throw the controller...it boomarangs right back to you. 8)

I'll stick with the xbox...I'm already deep enough in Microsoft gear...I cant turn back now. I just hope it's backwards compatible.

Guest bosshogg
I just hope it's backwards compatible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I've read it will be kind of backwards compatible...what they (MS) have said is that it will work with several "top selling" xbox games. Translated I think this means that they'll be emulating the original xbox in software and will need to tweak it for specific games - unlike the PS3 which will contain hardware PS1 and PS2 emulation.

Personally I don't care about playing old xbox games on the 360...I'll keep my old xbox around for that!

Guest nickcornaglia

yeah...I have 2 xbox units....

one overheats and the other has been acting flaky.

just like phones, I dont like having more than one at a time. i dont know why. I'm weird like that. Too much clutter.

But the 20 games that i already own...I'd like to use on the new system.

Guest Pondrew

The article on the 360 I read indicated that it may be backward compatible and went on to say that the console was more then powerful enough to emulate the Xbox. Worth pointing out at this point that the PS2 wasn't completely backward compatible. One particular PS game that wouldn't work on the PS2 was X-Files (it suffered graphical glitches).

I guess time will tell...

Guest AngelOfRage

the PS3 is using new a Graphics Chip, apparently its more powerfull than 2 Geforce 6800 Ultras in SLI. just a little bit more powerfull thana PS2...

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
Can you believe the Microsoft GPU has 10gig ram! This on top of the 512meg system ram...

Umm unlikely... ;) I think you're actually thinking about the 10MB of DRAM on the ATI GPU, which is comparable(ish) to the L2 cache you get on CPU's. Basially the larger this is the better the performance as its VERY fast, orders of magnitude more so than normal system RAM it being literally on top of the GPU silicon. Trouble is getting it that small is insanely expensive...

As for getting over excited about the specs, yus they are uber impressive at the moment, but, both consoles aren't due for release until Q2 06, thats 12 months time. nVidia and ATi are both announcing their new PC GPU core specs at e3 (or soon) which are comparable to the console GPUs and will be out later this year. But Q2 next year they will have announced the successor to that and have hardware ready for release soon after.

Oops sorry for the long post heh, basically by my reckoning within 6 months of buying a Xbox 360 or PS3 their GPU's will be a gen out of date. That's not to say i won't be getting one (or both ;)), i just don't see the specs as anything to get over excited about, in fact i'd have been thoroughly disapointed if they had been anything less...