Which UK web distributor for K-Jam? Who's good?

Guest ddieter

I was wondering if somebody could provide me with some advice on the best place to buy a K-Jam with a contract (not fussed which provider).

The only one I know of at the moment is expansys.co.uk, however there is obviously more.

Are the provider packages set or can you customise them? (ie, given how expensive the K-Jam is, I'd like to get insurance).

Also, please I'd like to hear about people's experiences with various web-based companies, especially those who have had trouble or been 'ripped off'.

Cheers,

D

Looking forward to some replies on this one. The K-Jam looks like a nice unit.

I don't know of anyone other than Expansys advertising it yet.

Also, please I'd like to hear about people's experiences with various web-based companies, especially those who have had trouble or been 'ripped off'.

I have used mobileshop.co.uk for a number of phones in the past. I have always been satisfied with the products/service/pricing.

Not sure if they have the best selection of handsets though.

Chiz

Guest jonhitch

This is the only other site that I know has the K-Jam on contract.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/o2/7494.htm

Looks like the date has just slipped though. Meant to be in stock today however now expected on Tuesday (4th Oct).

I have a Qtek 9100 ordered for £39 on a O2 250xnet +100 sms (£35/pm) from the following. Bargain I think - cheaper (£60!) and better looking than the K-Jam.

http://www.buymobilephones.net/store/merch...20-phones.ihtml

Is Expansys good to deal with? Would you guys recommend them?

Also, is there anyway to get insurance through them. I'd be gutted if it was stolen and had to pay £450+ for another one.

Also pre ordered the QTEK 9100 from BuyMobilePhones .net for a handset price of £39 on £35pm O2 250 + 100 txts (a few weeks back). Checked today and the handset price is now upto £69.99. They have confirmed that pre-orders at the lower price will be honoured and that the price increase is ... wait for it... to put people off ordering as demand for the product is likely to outstrip their supply.

They suggest next week as a possible ship date (been told the 5th), but may receive the units on Monday so ets wait and see.

You'll see that Expansys have the K-Jam for sale so its only a matter of time!

I'll be interested to see how much juice the wifi sucks up as I hoping to use it mainly at home for streaming audio and video from the home network and therefore a good battery life wouldn't go amiss - plus surfing the internet without slowly cooking my testicles under the laptop!! will be a novel experience

If your undecided (and don't need your new phone urgently) I would sit back for a fortnight to a month and see what comes out in the wash once the early adopter packages are out of the way.

If (from my previous post) handset costs have been increased to diminsh demand, then the price may come back down (cynical persons like myself might point out that the price increase may reflect an effort to squeeze more cash out of us punters as the Wizard appears to be a sought after phone/PDA.

Plus other long awaited phones like the c600 may be out, or nearly there, offering a wider choice in a months time.

Otherwise the simple, how many text - minutes do you need? can you afford to pay a little more for the handset now if this will work out cheaper over the longer term? can you live with an 18mnth contract?

Apologies for not providing a clear cut answer!

Oh and as for problems with web orders - it really is pot luck in my experience as to the service you get. If you don't have a problem (with the order or product)then your in for an easy ride. If things are not quite to your liking then returns etc. can be a bit of a pain, especially with the wait and use of courier/ special delvery etc.

Edited by jordy32

The Expansys deal may not be as good as it first appeared.

£30 a month for 18 months for Vodaphone anytime 200 with 250 texts.

Unfortunately the 250 texts are only included for the first 6 months...then you have to buy more text messages. 250 texts for £14 a month. That doesn't sound like a good deal :o

Some handy info in this post.

I am definitely after a Wizard but might take jordy32's tip and wait for a while.

Would like to see the Qtek and iMate before choosing. Possibly the Orange M... if they get their finger out.

Chiz

Guest thereaperman
The Expansys deal may not be as good as it first appeared.

£30 a month for 18 months for Vodaphone anytime 200 with 250 texts.

Unfortunately the 250 texts are only included for the first 6 months...then you have to buy more text messages.  250 texts for £14 a month.  That doesn't sound like a good deal  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it is when the sims going in the compact and i am using my other sim in the wizard :o

Guest Pondrew
Is there any difference between the qtek 9100 and the k-jam of are they exactly yhe same?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are both the HTC Wizard. The hardware should be identical but the roms will be tailored by each brand. Unfortunately this sometimes means brand specific bugs creep in...

Guest thereaperman

quick info

voice dial works great with a bluetooth heatset with voice tags

a lot quick than than jam , more on par with the xdaIIi etc

battry is a lot better than the jam and includes skype built in and when you switch to the keyboard the screen auto rotates etc.

any other info you want just post etc

Guest thereaperman

yeah it is quite silver, almost the same as the jam/mda compact colour, when i get a little time i will post some pics of both of them side by side etc

Guest slickochet

stupid question perhaps, but its something that worries me about the wizard. do you need to use a bluetooth or handsfree kit to make and receive calls on it? or can you just hold it to your face like a normal phone. in the photos i see at the top what looks like an earpiece, but i see no mic on the bottom....

i was considering the htc universal until i found out that you had to do that with it. $and thought. nah.

Guest jordy32

Noticed that the handset cost for the QTEK is now free on the o2 250 £35 tarrif and above buymobilephones.net , time to call and change from the 39.99 I think.

Guest ddieter

That's not a bad deal at all. Only 12 month contract as well, as opposed to Expansys 18 months. And also, I assume the 100 text messages are each month, and last the duration of the contract vs. the 250 texts a month that expire after 6 months from Expansys.

Has anyone else seen any great deals?

Are you able to negotiate with these web sellers on price (ie get Expansys to match the deal given by buymobilephones.net)?

Guest jordy32

I don't know about deal matching but I wouldn't get to hung up over using Expansys solely (they are pretty good from what I have read though). My conundrum is that the o2 exec is can be had for£99 hanset + 12mnth o2 250 - and the decent screen would be a bonus (can't remeber the site now).

Hmmm time to decide

Guest thereaperman
stupid question perhaps, but its something that worries me about the wizard.  do you need to use a bluetooth or handsfree kit to make and receive calls on it?  or can you just hold it to your face like a normal phone.  in the photos i see at the top what looks like an earpiece, but i see no mic on the bottom....

i was considering the htc universal until i found out that you had to do that with it.  $and thought.  nah.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you can hold at the side of your face like any normal mobile, its fits fine in your hoand so it does not look to bad(is in masive like the universal)

Guest slickochet

sweet. that puts my mind at ease. decision made then.

now to find a good deal. wonder when phones2udirect will be getting them in. they did good offers on the s110