Installing certificates

Guest sidsmut

Hi! I'm a complete idiot in this tweaking of the smartphone world. I have a Qtek 8310 which is not bound to any network carrier. (ie. no special menus and stuff).

My question is. Do I need to install a root certificate on my phone? If i do, where do I find it?

As I said, completely new to this. So I beg for your patience.

Thanks!

Guest Disco Stu

The simple answer is 'no' - unless you know what these guys are talking about ;)

I assume you're thinking about application unlocking. The lock is put on the phone (usually by the operator/network) to stop you installing software that they haven't approved. (etc...blah...) If the phone refuses to install software and gives you the message that the program isn't digitally signed then you need to do the unlocking procedure. This usually occurs where registry changes are required. Unlocking instructions are in the pinned 'SP5 Tweaks' thread pinned at the top of this section.

Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. Most things will work with just a warning and you simply confirm you want to continue the install.

Guest wbremner
That's correct let me know if have any further questions  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I forwarded the request for changing the "Issued To" name to our tech person, plus a suggestion from MoDaCo which advised us to "Export the root certificate from the Certificate Authority in your domain (in DER format)"

Our tech person came back to me with the following problem: "Unfortunately, we require a certificate of authority which our server is not configured with. The certificate from exchange can not be exported into a *.der format. "

Does that make sense? Any advice?

Thanks! ;)

Guest dm.wood
I forwarded the request for changing the "Issued To" name to our tech person, plus a suggestion from MoDaCo which advised us to "Export the root certificate from the Certificate Authority in your domain (in DER format)"

Our tech person came back to me with the following problem: "Unfortunately, we require a certificate of authority which our server is not configured with.  The certificate from exchange can not be exported into a *.der format. "

Does that make sense? Any advice?

Thanks!  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If your network administrator purchased a certificate from a commercial certificate authority (such as Verisign) for use with your Exchange Outlook Web Access component or website etc it is unlikely that they have a windows certificate authority set up. You might like to explain to him that setting up a Windows Certificate Authority is quite a simple process.

Your are not actually exporting the root certificate from the Certificate Authority in *.der format.

What you need to do is export the root certificate in "DER Encoded binary X.509" fomat. When you export in this format it creates a *.CER file (not a *.DER file).

Hope this helps! ;)

Guest tmosda

Hi I have T-Mobile SDA (US Version) and I did all the steps above.

ApplicationUnlock.exe fails with error "Internal Error"

Anyone got the same error and fixed it.

EDIT: had to reset my phone and then it worked fine.

Thanks for this - I'm probably doing some of the steps wrong - I'll have another go.

I don't think this could be an issue with my device - I think it is a WM5 issue so hopefully if it works on your QTeks then it should work on my MDA Vario (which is a Qtek 9100).

Btw - Did you have a look at the version of regedit that I attached?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by tmosda

Guest dankusel

Hello - I am a first time poster begging for assistance.

I have a Cingular 8125 running WM5.0. I am using Activesync 4.1 (which came with the phone).

My business uses Exchange - from which I can access via the web using OWA.

My Activesync on my 8125 was working on and off about 4 days ago - and now does not work at all in synching with my server.

Everytime my mail on my 8125 tries to synch with my server, I receive an error on Activesync that says, "Your account in Microsoft Exchange Server does not have permission to synchronize with your current settings. Contact your Exchange Server administrator. Support code:0x85010001"

I have called Cingular, Microsoft, and my company internal IT department. Cingular and MS basically said, "not our problem". My company exchange server IT group is looking at it - but nothing has changed in 5 days.

It appears to me that my issue is related to the one on this board.

I am asking that someone who has seen this issue and knows how to resolve it - please let me know. I can email you - or even call you for assistance. Like many of you on this board - the reason I bought this phone was for the email Activesync - which is not working at all! PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Thanks,

Dan

• 6 months later...

I'm able to copy the regtryit.exe to the phone however, when i try o run it by double clicking - it doesn't do anything but opens up the properties - what am i doing wrong? desperately need help.

Thanks.

Guest zaphod7538

I have the Tmobile Dash - I can't add my own certificate as described here, but I can't make any changes to the Registry either. Apparently Tmo has the registry locked down.

Anybody run into this? Regedit doesn't work - and either does RAPI.

Everytime I try to change a value in the registry, it is it can't do it. I even tried renaming and creating, but it seems like it is a read only register file.

I can't get to my exchange server. No fun!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest steveikin
I have the Tmobile Dash - I can't add my own certificate as described here, but I can't make any changes to the Registry either. Apparently Tmo has the registry locked down.

Everytime I try to change a value in the registry, it is it can't do it. I even tried renaming and creating, but it seems like it is a read only register file.

Same problem - I really need to get a fix because the CEO for my company is now my only Dash user and hence the only one using email without SSL. Everyone else uses Motorola Q's.

I sent a details technical support email via T-Mobiles website, however I didn't even recevie a ticket opened auto response.

If you know the solution for the T-Mobile Dash adding a root cert please share?

Guest jelkins

I too had problems using the regedit program on the dash.

I found a reg editor called MobileRegistryEditor on the net and it runs on the desktop and edits the registry of the device through activesync.

All seems to be working now.

James

• 11 months later...
Guest Eric Woolhiser
1. Go to http://www.modaco.com/INFO_Decert_SIM_Unlo...50-t222786.html.

2. Download the HTC-signed "regeditSTG.zip" and move it to your smartphone.

IMPORTANT: Put it on the phone, not on a memory card - this was my first

sticking point.

3. Extract the zip file using Explorer on the device (if it's a WM5 device).

4. Run the Regedit exe and follow the instructions on the page above for

registry changes to make. It was also suggested by a Microsofty a few posts

down to change 00001017 (4119) to 144 (in the same part of the registry),

although I'm not sure what each entry does. I did all three. :-)

5. Download SDA_ApplicationUnlock.exe from

http://www.modaco.com/Motorola_MPx220_and_...0_app_locked...,

connect the device, run this app, click "Unlock" or whatever, then restart

the device.

6. Export the root certificate from the Certificate Authority in your domain

(in DER format), copy it to the phone (again NOT the memory card) and simply

run it from Explorer. Bob's yer uncle.

I can't seem to get step 3 to work, but first as I look at this, are these instructions smartphone specific? I'm running PPC. I can't unzip the file on the device. If I unzip on my PC and copy it over to the H16, the regedit comes up, but only shows the hive roots, and I can't open below the roots.