Gameboy emulator for SPV - ALPHA code

Guest spacemonkey

Guest spacecowboy6982

I alos read something bout overclocking the processor - it'll basically drain your battery of any energy it has - but imagine playing doom and quake @ lightning fast speeds <>

Space Cowboy

Guest awarner [MVP]
When you have the blank screen... is it white?  If you press the centre of the joystick button does it then just exit?

If the answer to these is yes then it can't find your roms.  

-Make sure it is the latest version (download it again) - the first version with a ROM picker needed to be a specific path whereas this version just needs gnuboy.exe to be in the same place as the roms.

-Are your Roms in the same place as gnuboy.exe?  they must be, they must also end in .gb or .gbc

-Are you sure your start menu shortcut is definitely pointing at that gnuboy.exe in the directory with the roms?  It's easy to leave it pointing at the old version in /storage card, it's also to accidently copy the exe to the start menu rather than creating a shortcut.  If you have all explorer try using that to browse to the exe and run it and see if it's any better.

Beyond that... dunno... it seems to work fine for everyone else (except mine which I broke last night... damn code changes ;) )

I have done all the above and when I have tried the last two versions this white screen (cannot find roms) is happening to me :?

All I am doing is deleting the old file and shortcut

then pasting the new version, recreating a shortcut and placing it where the last one was.

I have no idea why this is not working for me but all I do is

replace the files with the version I had working and all is fine again.

Hope this might give you an idea as to what is happening :?

Guest tomdbomb61

ive bin looking at the gameboy emulator link, and being sum what of a novice to the world of programming and emulating im lost!! there are two links with two different bits of software. and then below someone has copied a screen shot of mario. how was this done? putti mario onto ur spv? is it simple when u know how?

any help please

Guest jaknife2000

Um, i was just wondering if i am doing something wrong with the Gameboy Emulator, i hear from the room that lots of people are having fun with it, and i can't actually get it to run.

I click the GNUBOY.exe from all-explorer and it then lists the romfile "romfile.gbc" then if i click it, it returns to the menu again ?

Is it me or am i doing something wrong ?

Guest frijj2k

New version of GnuBoy is a lot slower on my SPV.

Tetris DX crawls.... the background animated blocks on the title screen used to move really fast.. now they are really slooooow.

:-(

Dave

Guest spacemonkey

OK... it seems I have been going mad...

everything on my phone over the last few days suggested that it was good... turns out, with some objective back to back testing that the original cpu code is faster and my mobile is just nuts...

So anyway, here is build 0.91. This is original cpu code but the reason I am posting it is that I think I have fixed the slow load bug. Give it a go and see what you think.

Speed should be the same as old versions.

http://www.davemoller-nz.demon.co.uk/gnuboy.exe

Thanks for the new version. I noticed on your web site that keys can be remapped using the voice message button. What would be great is it it would remember when you started up again what you had re-mapped the keys to.

Keep up the good work.

Guest spacemonkey

Yep, that's next on the list, menu's and providing a fully remappable key system. Internally it's totally generic, I just need the front ends...

My plan is to have a default keyset you can save, but to also save the keyset in the state file, so you can use a different layout for each ROM if you want, without having to configure more than the first time you run it.

Guest spacemonkey

the address is:

http://www.davemoller-nz.demon.co.uk/gnuboy.html

Please check here.

It tells you that the sound doesn't work (even when I put the code in, it sounds terrible, the SPV is just too slow for this at the moment)

It also tells you to put the gnuboy.exe and roms in the same directory, anywhere you like on the phone.

It also tells you about the control keys.

Guest spacemonkey

Downloading ROMs is Illegal and should not be discussed on this site.

here's a link to a freeware legal rom that works with the emulator:

http://www.gambitstudios.com/Products/GBFr...ee/breakout.zip

I would say that if I wanted to download fish recipes from the net a good start point would be to go to www.google.com and search for +"fish recipes" +download.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Spacemonkey

Sorry to be a pain but still no joy withthe new versions ;)

The latest I can get to work is the first multi-rom version.

PS I also have the DK update now, could this be a reason?

Guest emsoftsys

Unlocked phone, loaded software and rom file to strorage card, created a shortcut but when trying to run I just get a screen with the title bar 'GnuBoy 0.91a' and underneath this I get the name of the file 'romfile.gbc'. I have tried this with several roms but get the same result every time. :cry:

Can anybody offer any help please, my sons mithering me to get this sorted (it's not for me - honest)

Thanks

Adrian

Guest spacemonkey

awarner: what symptom do you get? Title bar with no roms listed? I got this once on DK patch and got similar with the taskmanager app... Non my DK patch has settled down and everything is happy. Make sure you change your location and language in the Regional Settings area... once you get away from any DK settings it gets happier.

emsoftsys. You've just put one rom in there calle romfile.gbc I presume. The new version takes multiple roms. When the list comes up it's listing the single one you have. If you press down on the joystick it should highlight that file. If you had more than one gb or gbc file it'd go up and down through the list. Press the center button of the joystick to select and load the rom.

Guest emsoftsys

Spacemonkey, thanks for that, tried it but the program crashes and goes back to the 'programs' screen?

Scratch that, got it working with another rom ;)

I'm up and running now whey hey!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos spacemonkey

Guest awarner [MVP]
awarner: what symptom do you get?  Title bar with no roms listed? I got this once on DK patch and got similar with the taskmanager app...  Non my DK patch has settled down and everything is happy.  Make sure you change your location and language in the Regional Settings area... once you get away from any DK settings it gets happier.

Title bar with no roms listed and my regional settings are

Language US and locale English (UK)

on another note task manager just hangs when I try and load it

(no title screen at all)

Have to hold down the hangup button so the phone locks to get out of it.