Smartphone Game Emulators for C550

Guest Parallax20

Hi Parallax,

Haven't spoken to you for some time, probably because I'm busy and playing all those great games in between (I still just LOVE Dune 2 for Genesis!)

I have a practical question about key config in pocketSNES: When I reconfig keys to the keypad they are not directly working. I found that upon reloading a ROM the keyconfigs are working, but only for the time that I'm playing, if I quit pocketSNES and later open it up again to play a rom, the keys have to be configed again as the new settings made the last time don't seem to be saved.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong / might be wrong?

Thanks in advance,

M. Troni

Guest Parallax20
Hi Parallax,

Haven't spoken to you for some time, probably because I'm busy and playing all those great games in between (I still just LOVE Dune 2 for Genesis!)

I have a practical question about key config in pocketSNES: When I reconfig keys to the keypad they are not directly working. I found that upon reloading a ROM the keyconfigs are working, but only for the time that I'm playing, if I quit pocketSNES and later open it up again to play a rom, the keys have to be configed again as the new settings made the last time don't seem to be saved.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong / might be wrong?

Thanks in advance,

M. Troni

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, this is related to the auto key remapping for screen rotation. It always assumes your keys are defined in portrait mode and then to rotate them automatically when you switch between screen modes, i.e. landscape. The key is to always define your directional keys to work in portrait mode , then redefine all your other keys to work in whatever screen mode you desire.

So when you restart the ROM the emu will detect what screen mode was last used and rotate the directional keys as required but keeping all your other game keys as defined.

This is how all my builds work, so if you bear this in mind you can't go wrong.

Parallax.

hi am i doing something wrong.

i have the latest version of mame, i have downloaded loads of roms (that are shown on the list)from romnation.net but so far i can only get 1942 to work.

Im using a c600,

When i try to launch a game that is shown in the list. the screen goes black for 1-2 seconds then back to mame screen.

If i use the pc mame version they work fine...

tried roms that fail to name a few

pang

bubble bobble

pacman

please help

MameCE3 (M.A.M.E)

- This is a fairly cut down version of the full Mame32.  It supports 200+ games but can be enabled for more depending on hardware emulated. 

- To "OK" the legal notice screen use LEFT->RIGHT cursor

- Added key configuration screen

- Fixed GameList refresh

- Fix default mame key quirks

- Game screen now shrinks to display size.  Some games may be difficult to view on low-res phones.

- Menu option to turn auto scaling on/off

- Improved screen scaling but still a bit slow.

- Use * and # to adjust frameskip rate.

- Sound enabled

Hi everyone!

Just for the people who were having problems obtaining Mame 0.36 ROMs, there is a page that tells you how to convert your current ROMs into 0.36 versions. Check out this guide to installing Palm Mame. Note that a newer version of Rom Center is available (2.70 at the time of writing) but that to follow the guide exactly you will need the version mentioned (2.50).

Parallax: Nice work on the Emus! I was actually thinking how cool it would be to have Mame on my C550 the other day and lo and behold ... 8)

One thing I would like to request for the Mame port is that you make the controls that adjust the frame rate a little less sensitive. When I'm playing Mario Bros. on my phone it's really slow to start with but one tap on the * key makes it unplayable (because of the speed and the fact you don't see Mario for 3 paces! ;)). I'm not sure if it saves the frame skip rate on a per-game basis but that would be cool too!

Keep up the good work! This is the best Smartphone emu I've seen!

whetphish.

Guest Parallax20
Hi everyone!

Just for the people who were having problems obtaining Mame 0.36 ROMs, there is a page that tells you how to convert your current ROMs into 0.36 versions. Check out this guide to installing Palm Mame. Note that a newer version of Rom Center is available (2.70 at the time of writing) but that to follow the guide exactly you will need the version mentioned (2.50).

Parallax: Nice work on the Emus! I was actually thinking how cool it would be to have Mame on my C550 the other day and lo and behold ...  8)

One thing I would like to request for the Mame port is that you make the controls that adjust the frame rate a little less sensitive. When I'm playing Mario Bros. on my phone it's really slow to start with but one tap on the * key makes it unplayable (because of the speed and the fact you don't see Mario for 3 paces!  ;)). I'm not sure if it saves the frame skip rate on a per-game basis but that would be cool too!

Keep up the good work! This is the best Smartphone emu I've seen!

whetphish.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Frameskips are not saved, you'll have to adjust them as you see fit. Frameskip is set to auto when game starts and * and # inc/dec rotates frameskip from 1-11/12. Sound doesn't quite work at the mo...I forgot to reset a sound variable, so when turned on games may not load. I will correct this shortly... I have to warn you, sound is not great!

Parallax.

Hi all,

As a smartphone user that just migrated from PocketPC, I'm tially lost in the world of emulators, aspecially those for qvga displays. However, after seing this thread, I was now finally able to play SMB on my SP5... ;)

But...

People are talking about playing SNES games in almost full speed (granted, without sound, but still), yet, I am having speed issues with PocketNester.

Perhaps I am expecting too much, but I can't even play SMB (which is hardy the heaviest game for the NES) on full speed. Without sound, I have to use frameskip=2 for the game to run smooth, but I had higher expectations than that...

Have I simply overrated the capacity of my new SP5, or is there a way to speed things up a bit?

Guest Parallax20
please can someone help me with my quesiton above

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your roms are probably not the right version, try following whetphish's post on converting your roms to 0.36 before running.

Parallax.

Guest shareef
please can someone help me with my quesiton above

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As whetphish said above, you need to rename your roms so that mamece3 will load them - if mame detects any of the roms named incorrectly, it simply will not load the game and quit right back to the main screen. whetphish has even provided a link that outlines exactly how to get your roms named correctly... just follow the link.

As an example, for pacman, you would need a file named pacman.zip in the roms folder and withing the zip file you need the following files (roms):

82s123.7f

82s126.1m

82s126.3m

82s126.4a

namcopac.6e

namcopac.6f

namcopac.6h

namcopac.6j

pacman.5e

pacman.5f

sweet cheerz. i will have a play.

i didnt mean to be rude or anything.

finally do you know when there are like 3 dfferent versions of a rom eg 1942 has 3 rev's is it normally best to get all 3 or just one

Hi all,

As a smartphone user that just migrated from PocketPC, I'm tially lost in the world of emulators, aspecially those for qvga displays. However, after seing this thread, I was now finally able to play SMB on my SP5... ;)

But...

People are talking about playing SNES games in almost full speed (granted, without sound, but still), yet, I am having speed issues with PocketNester.

Perhaps I am expecting too much, but I can't even play SMB (which is hardy the heaviest game for the NES) on full speed. Without sound, I have to use frameskip=2 for the game to run smooth, but I had higher expectations than that...

Have I simply overrated the capacity of my new SP5, or is there a way to speed things up a bit?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just tried Donkey Kong Country. With default setting, I get about 10-12 fps, not really playable. Tried different frameskip values and cpu cycles, but couldn't increse playability.

I can't believe that the C500 is that much faster (meaning that WM5 is that much slower). And the emulators seem to run fine on C600, which has the same specs as the SP5.

Any ideas?

Guest lilkraz3nik

Im no smartphone, software, or emulator expert I was wondering why the sound isn't possible? Is it due to poorly written code or current smartphones arent able to handle it yet? Because Series 60 (symbian) phones can run emulators at full speed and with full quality sound I haven't tried it though. http://www.wildpalm.co.uk/. If they can do it surely windows can?

Im no smartphone, software, or emulator expert I was wondering why the sound isn't possible? Is it due to poorly written code or current smartphones arent able to handle it yet? Because Series 60 (symbian) phones can run emulators at full speed and with full quality sound I haven't tried it though. http://www.wildpalm.co.uk/. If they can do it surely windows can?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What the hell are u talking about, even the SPV1 could run GBC with sound

sweet cheerz. i will have a play.

i didnt mean to be rude or anything.

finally do you know when there are like 3 dfferent versions of a rom eg 1942 has 3 rev's is it normally best to get all 3 or just one

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi bleep,

I've found that as a rule it's best to go for the 'generic' US version if there is one. If not then keep trying till you find one that works! With some of the older games that I run on MameCE3 (like Donkey Kong Jr.) it appears that more than one ROM set is contained in the .zip file. Whether or not that's because I've converted them from newer versions I don't know, but when this happens the US version always seems like the only one that will run.

With 1942 I just use Set 1 (MameCE3 doesn't seem to like the others).

Hope this helps,

whetphish.

ok ive followed the instructions but when i drop to dos and and do the mame command i get the following error

no DPMI - Get csdpmi*b.zip

searched the net got the needed stuff (which is apparently not needed for xp)

and now i get a protected mode disallowed error

this is anoying i dont suppose someone can provide me the mame stuff incl the dat to save me ;)

Edited by bleep

I have released the sound fix for MAMECE3, but I warn you not to get too excited.  It only seems to be partially implemented.

Parallax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah and horribly slow.

Dear Parallax20 & co.:

all you are the fuc*@·# masters!!!! ;) Thanks for your great work, modding all this emu so they can work on smartphone. I have used it on my qtek 8310, and work quite good (only having some troubles with sound, because that dosen't work).

but I have to comment that the speed of the snes emu, running some roms is a bit slowly, and I think not 100% playable.

I have tryed the a similar snes emu for ps2, based on snes9x, and it's slow too.

anyway, you have really made a great work.

Guest Parallax20
Yeah and horribly slow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you always this negative? You've got Mame in your pocket, its a first step. One day some bright spark will rewrite the code to work full speed with sound on all smartphones! But by then all phones will be capable of doing it, but hey it gives our children of the future something to aspire towards.

If you think of all emus logically, they were all first written for full size pc/unix based systems and to expect the same code to work on our little dinky phones at the same speeds is expecting a bit much....its like wanting WinXP to run on your smartphone with the same performance on a 200Mhz processor. You gotta be realistic.

Parallax.

Don't listen them!

You are badword GOOD...i never thought that i could even run a little MAME game on my MPx200...and with you i made it.

its release you make,it's a suprise for me!

Keep it that way,good job!

Edited by Spipis

Yup, Parralax20 is tha bomb!

Its really unbelievable how many emus are now fully working and some working with just a few speed problems even on my SPV c500!

Now on another note, has any1 got super metroid to work on his /her mobile? With me, it shows the nintendo screen and then seems to freeze up. This is a shame because besides playing the game on my super nintendo I also want to be able to play this gem on the go :-)

(Zelda: Link to the Past is fully working, just kick ass!! Haven't got Chrono Trigger to work though).....

Cheers

M. Troni