MDA Compact II

Guest brykins

Guest brykins

Having tried out the XDA Mini S for a couple of days, I decided that (a) I didn't need the WiFi, (:) the keyboard and stylus both looked like weak points and © I just can't get over how fat it is, I am sending it back and having an MDA Compact II sent to me from T-Mobile.

Question is - anyone got one yet? Rumours suggested it may have been an HTC Prophet but that has extra buttons whereas the T-Mobile pictures don't show any (though they may just be Photoshopped Compacts!).

Also - will be requesting my PAC code as soon as the new phone arrives, but will certainly have a week/ten days before the number is ported over. Can the Compact II be unlocked yet so I can throw in my O2 sim until the number gets moved to T-Mobile?

Guest brykins
I'm expecting one tommorow so I'll post some info

Getting mine tomorrow too! Some time before 1pm apparently....be able to compare the Compact II to my XDA Mini S and take a couple of days to work out which one to keep!

Guest mupwangle

Pondrew has one.

As far as I know it is not-quite a magician. It runs WM5 but using a 200Mhz OMAP processor instead of the 417Mhz in the magician. It doesn't have extra buttons but the normal magician buttons have been reassigned. I don't think the memory is the same either. It's definately not a new jam/s110 but might be a prophet in a magician case.

Not a scoobie.

Guest Peppermint Hippo
Pondrew has one.

As far as I know it is not-quite a magician.  It runs WM5 but using a 200Mhz OMAP processor instead of the 417Mhz in the magician.  It doesn't have extra buttons but the normal magician buttons have been reassigned.  I don't think the memory is the same either. It's definately not a new jam/s110 but might be a prophet in a magician case.

Not a scoobie.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Think you've summed it up there! Not quite a Magician, but not a Prophet either. Doesn't the Prophet have wifi as well? Its sort of inbetween them both

Guest brykins
Think you've summed it up there! Not quite a Magician, but not a Prophet either. Doesn't the Prophet have wifi as well? Its sort of inbetween them both

In much the same way that the C550 was "in between" the C500 and the C600 - larger screen but no WM5 to make the best of it with third party software.

I'm going to have a confusing couple of days now - from lunchtime tomorrow I'm going to have the Compact II and the Mini S side by side.....Compact II is the best size but lacks the keyboard (and less importantly the WiFi) whereas the Mini S is too fat to hold and the slider and stylus look weak.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

First impressions and observations

When you receive the box take the PDA out and put it to one side so it doesn't get broke because the box is a nightmare .... you'll see!!

Badged HTC Innovation (Model or HTCs full company name????)

Like the size not too big not too small (A very slightly oversized normal nokia type phone but no thicker)

Pen difficult to remove

Nice color (grey) and t-mobile badge not too big

Don't like t-mobile colors but easy to change to windows default

I'd say about 50% slower than my XDAii - boot up, etc

My particular sim appears to be only 2g - but maybe I'm in a 2g only area

Sim a pig to remove

comes with free screen protector and case

Nice bright screen and doesn't seem to be any problem that it's smaller

Camera an improvement on XDAii but a bit blury

No GPRS usage software as standard and no backup (from what I can see)

Edited by kaf

Guest brykins
First impressions and observations...

I'd go along with most of those.....got mine today about 9:00am! Love the grey - so much nicer than my silver Compact and seems to look smaller as well.

It's a bit slower than my Compact was, but faster than the Mini S/Wizard I have here. Not too much T-Mobile rubbish installed at startup either, which is good.

Spare stylus in the box, headphones, etc. No SD card - naturally.

Oh - and T-Mobile want £15 to unlock it - and I can't get a pack code from O2 until I send them the MiniS back and then I won't have a phone to put the O2 sim in until the PAC is activated after Xmas!

I'm about 10% unsure about losing the Wizard's keyboard, not concerned about losing the WiFi, but 100% sure about the size of the Compact II.

Guest Peppermint Hippo
No GPRS usage software as standard and no backup (from what I can see)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Think the GPRS useage package might be on one of the CDs that came with it. I think this was true with the Vario (haven't checked on mine)

Yes the CD appears to have modem drivers, the manual and gprs usage software

Slight error in my post I meant to say the sim only appears to be 2g - there is something about ringong 0007 and getting a woman or bloke (bloke 3g - woman 2g) - however it depends on network coverage

I was only getting 2g (on a 3g phone) and a womans voice - went to the other side of the house and it changed to 3g and got a blokes voice - so the sims are usim/3g

Edited by kaf

Guest dave106

Its an HTC Charmer and imei-check.co.uk say they can unlock it (will cost i'm guessing). Does anyone know if the hard reset-soft reset trick works to stop it installing all the t-mobile customisation?

Edited by dave106

Guest brykins
Its an HTC Charmer and imei-check.co.uk say they can unlock it (will cost i'm guessing). Does anyone know if the hard reset-soft reset trick works to stop it installing all the t-mobile customisation?

If they can unlock it, will any of the free unlockers work? It'd be great to get mine unlocked as soon as I can.

The hard reset - soft reset works - hard reset is the two left had side buttons plus reset, release reset while holding the two buttons and keep them held for four seconds.

Having said that - I've let it install all the T-Mobile stuff as it's not that obtrusive to be honest....doesn't seem to slow anything down at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've seen plenty of sites that describe the mda compact ii spec as a htc charmer but have you seen anything 'official' that calls it the charmer?

As I said the label calls it HTC Innovation

Guest dave106
If they can unlock it, will any of the free unlockers work? It'd be great to get mine unlocked as soon as I can.

The hard reset - soft reset works - hard reset is the two left had side buttons plus reset, release reset while holding the two buttons and keep them held for four seconds.

Having said that - I've let it install all the T-Mobile stuff as it's not that obtrusive to be honest....doesn't seem to slow anything down at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldnt get any button combo to work but instead used the clear storage program in settings, same effect anyway!

I've seen plenty of sites that describe the mda compact ii spec as a htc charmer but have you seen anything 'official' that calls it the charmer?

As I said the label calls it HTC Innovation

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well some of the cabs file in the extended rom have Charmer tags plus it makes sense, Magician, Charmer, Wizard with HTCs naming schemes.

Guest Pondrew
I think HTC Innovation is just a tag line for the company. This device seems to be the HTC Charmer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, HTC Innovation is just a company slogan. The device is referred to most places as the HTC Charmer and I'm inclined to believe that...

Guest dave106

Unlocked! And free as well.

Right so when do we get our own HTC Charmer section. I've been probing the EXT_ROM and have lots of info about the cab files and what they do.

Guest brykins
Unlocked! And free as well.

Right so when do we get our own HTC Charmer section. I've been probing the EXT_ROM and have lots of info about the cab files and what they do.

(a) Did you use the Wizard unlocker from Bad Link to unlock your Charmer?

(:) How did you un-hide the EXT_ROM?

Guest dave106

(:) How did you un-hide the EXT_ROM?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

a) yeah i did, ver 0.1, not fussed about fiddling the CID lock (yet!)

:D still hidden on mine, but using total commander ppc, browse to \extended_rom\ to see all the files.

(:D How did you un-hide the EXT_ROM?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

a) yes - that link you have does work

;) also that site tells you that as of 2 days ago there was no known way of unlocking the ext rom of a MDA Compact ii ..... but they'll figure it out :)

I personally believe that the web n walk and the MDA compact ii are going to be so succesful that we will see a lot of support for them

By the way - aren't the headphones the tackiest thing you've ever seen!!

I wen't back to using my XDA2 yesterday ... it felt like panoramic widescreen - but still no complaint about the size of the compact - it's phone size is whats winning me over to it

Guest brykins
a) yeah i did, ver 0.1, not fussed about fiddling the CID lock (yet!)

Sorry - what is a CID lock?

:) still hidden on mine, but using total commander ppc, browse to \extended_rom\ to see all the files.

Ooops! Forgot all about that one - job for this evening then - copy the CABs, hard reset and don't install everything, work out the CABs I need....what fun!

• 3 months later...
Guest gazbert

How exactly dod you get it unlocked please? I'm considering getting one, but only if I can unlock it.

I intend to use the T-Mobile SIM in my SIM-Free Mio A701, and my company Vodafone SIM in the MDA Compact II, but if I can't unlock it then this won't work.