Replacing the Magician - Is it worth it?

Guest spangelsaregreat

Guest spangelsaregreat

Hi,

My T-Mobile contract runs out in February so I am starting to think about new phones. My MDA Compact has served me well so far and I have no major complaints about it. My only gripes really are:-

1. No built in FM radio.

2. My current contract is pricey for GPRS (£5 for 6mb).

It has been a great device. I don't use Wifi at present and can't really see any great need for it in the future.

Sooo.....I have asked myself the question do I really need a new phone at all? If I keep my current MDA Compact I can..

1. Still use all my accessories.

2. Should be able to save money on a new SIM only contract.

..however, I would also

1. Be stuck with older technology for another full year

2. Have a phone with no warranty.

I have been looking at the KJAM and the Compact II but I have some reservations

1. The processor, in particular when using Sat Nav and playing videos

2. What are the benefits of WM5?

At present I am looking at the following options.

1. Keep the MDA Compact and negociate a cheaper SIM only package.

2. Get new contract with a new MDA Compact (sell the old one on eBay).

3. Get an entirely new phone and Contract.

4. Get an entirely new phone and Contract, sell the phone and buy an ATOM sim free (it looks like the best suited to my needs).

Does anybody who has recently moved from a Magician to a new phone have any comments or advice. Have your new phones lived up to your expectations or do you miss the Magician?

Also on a related note, has anybody tried porting your number on a PAYG sim and then porting it back to your existing provider to get a better deal but keep the same number?

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...
Guest marksurry

I have an Orange M500 and my wife has the new MDA compact 2 running WM5. The prcessor is noticeably slower in the MDA Compact 2, that's just opening programmes. Video does seem ok though when run full screen through media player 10.

Guest maxwell_hung

I'd wait for the Prophet to start making more of an appearance on the UK networks.

Seems like more of an upgrade from the magician than the mda II does.

Has a slower processor but from what I have read is no slower in working.

Guest brykins

I went from an MDA Compact to an MDA Compact II and I am now happy with the speed. It IS slower to start up applications, due to them being in ROM and not RAM, but when started, they seem to run about the same speed as the Compact, maybe 10% slower. Certainly not enough to bother me now.

WM5 does have it's advantages - not many, but some. Not sure about the persistant storage as I have never yet got anywhere near low enough on the battery to risk losing anything. However, one handed operation is a lot better - being able to open up messaging, check for emails, mark as read, etc, all with one hand.

The T-Mobile web'n'walk tariffs are great at the moment and you'll get a free MDAcII on the lowest one (100minutes) for £13 per month for twelve months, £28 per month for six months, but including 40MB of data each month. You'll only get that as a new customer though, so maybe port out to a PAYG and then take out a new deal, then port back in if you want to keep your number.

The Atom....I've read about lots of problems with it - lack of memory being one of them. I don't know the details, but I don't think I'd go for one. The Prophet will be coming soon, but who knows what it'll cost....the MDAcII is a bit of a bargain I think, on the cheapo tariff.

I would wait to be honest---if you go to the O2 web shop you can get a Sim only contract (with good minutes and texts) that is only 30days--if you get that you can just wait untill your MDA dies or something that takes your fancy comes out.

Im in the same situation--my contract has already run out--im thinking maybe an O2 Exec or even (dare I say it) having a look at the Sony Ericsson Pseries :-s