flash storage

Guest Motorola veteran user

after I installed everytjing I needed on my mpx200 -2002, Space Maker, System Info, Album, etc. free flash storage was 5,5MB of 11MB. Slowly, it is diminishing, now 2,6MB without me adding anything, just 300KB of SMS and contacts. I notice the difference day by day, I do not add any application or data except contacts and SMS. What data are building up, I had to hard reset a few month ago because of this, because I couldn't find what to delete, now again it is near that point...

Is there an explanation?

Guest osinoche
after I installed everytjing I needed on my mpx200 -2002, Space Maker, System Info, Album, etc. free flash storage was 5,5MB of 11MB. Slowly, it is diminishing, now 2,6MB without me adding anything, just 300KB of SMS and contacts. I notice the difference day by day, I do not add any application or data except contacts and SMS. What data are building up, I had to hard reset a few month ago because of this, because I couldn't find what to delete, now again it is near that point...

Is there an explanation?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Window's Loses files like this, do you use internet explorer, or any other programs constantly? It could simply be temporary files, or the IE Cache, filling up.

--

Osi

Thanks Osinoche, here are some more details:

I use internet Explorer and mail every day, but mail is deleted when I download it to my PC from the server, and Temp.Internet files are in four folders, akmost constant size.

IPSM folder is 5,7MB total of the 11MB flash storage, and free storage shown by System Info is only 2,6MB. That means almost 3MB are lost, not accounted for, filled with something unknown to me, invisible to ASync Explorer, and the phone's own File Manager.

This grows, in some time there will not be enough space for anything, and then - hard reset, because I have nothing to delete, except File manager, Spacemaker, System info, all small utility programs, which will only postpone the inevitable.

This is a slow process, but disturbing...

Guest osinoche

It's the Windows Mobile Edition operating system, I've had 2 ME 2002 PDAs, 1 2003, 1 2005. All except the 2005 have done that. Windows itself also seems to do this. It's odd, but acceptable considering, we're talking about microshaft here.

--

Osi

Guest awarner [MVP]

Have you tried restarting the phone? also check you have cleared you deleted items folder as this can build up over time.

Also check the contents of the MAPI folder, this contains your sent messages.

Have you tried restarting the phone? also check you have cleared you deleted items folder as this can build up over time.

Also check the contents of the MAPI folder, this contains your sent messages.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Awarner, but restarting does not change the situation; please have look at this numbers:

IPSM: 5.83MB

App.data: 769KB

MAPI 44.8KB

MAP: 141KB

Program files: 2,37MB

cemail.vol: 1,23MB (what's here? -it is in IPSM)

Windows (in IPSM) 489KB

My documents: 169KB

all this is almost a constant

Free flash storage: 2,6 out of 11MB and it should be more than 5MB.

It is this unknown files which grow, as I receive mail and then delete it.

Cemail.vol is where your recieved SMS messages are stored.

That's quite a few messages you have stored there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes Awarner,

I deleted all SMS messages, CEMail.vol is still 1,23MB.

I cannot delete CEMail.vol with neither File Manager, nore DBView.

DBView shows a sum of around 40KB of files in CEMail.vol,

File Manager shows 1,23 MB(!).

But even with CEmail.vol this big, still almost 3MB are occupied by unknown files.

There are some invisible things on my phone, it seems. :)

Guest awarner [MVP]

What you used to be able to do is rename the cemail.vol file then on a reboot a new cemail.vol folder is created leaving the old one to be deleted. This will nuke all your messages but it's one thing to try before the final resort of doing a hard reset.

What you used to be able to do is rename the cemail.vol file then on a reboot a new cemail.vol folder is created leaving the old one to be deleted. This will nuke all your messages but it's one thing to try before the final resort of doing a hard reset.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Awarner,

this was succesful, I exported my messages, renamed and deleted cemailvol., reimported the messages and gained 1MB.

IPSM now 4,78MB, down from 5,8MB,

cemail.vol now 200KB, down from 1,23MB,

free storage up to 3,6MB from 2,6MB, a better situation now...

Yet, if flash storage is for IPSM only, 2,5MB of my flash storage are still unaccounted for, is there any similar trick to find them too?

There is nothing more in IPSM I can see, just program files etc, 4,78MB total...

The only other thing is to delete the MAPI incase it is reporting the wrong file size. Offhand I can not think of anything else to try.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Succesful again, Awarner, thanks.

I deleted both MAP and MAPI, gained 1,5MB although they were reported by File Manager being much smaller. My free flash storage is at 5,1MB now, a very satisfactory situation, and now I know how to fight this in the future.

And I haven't lost a message doing this, only when deleting cemail vol., but that was solved by export -import. I hope your advice helps others who see this too.